Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Street name change

1. Default Street name change

The city council voted today to consider renaming part of Eastern "American Indian, Blvd." This section is in front of the future American Indian cultural center.

What do you think about the name change? Is it too much? Do you think the liberals will cry foul?

Default Re: Street name change

Why would "liberals" cry foul?

pdjr Guest

Personally, I have no problem with it. In my humble opinion, only non-Indian liberals who allow the tenets of PC to rule their lives will have a problem with it. Political correctness is a duel-edged sword with advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately, it has run amok in today's society. I consider it a tip o' the hat to the new cultural center.

I was more curious as to why a simple question had to include a slam against people of a particular ideology.

Political correctness is not restricted to the left or liberal wing of the country.

pdjr Guest

I meant no slam at all. Sorry about that.

I was referring to the original question. It seemed a superfluous comment in the midst of a legitimate question.

To answer the main question, I think it's a nice tribute to the cultural center to rename that section of the street to American Indian Blvd.

pdjr Guest

Aha. Gotcha.

9. Default Re: Street name change

This would, I assume, be the stretch immediately south of Reno. (North of Reno, up to Wilshire, Eastern was long ago renamed for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)

How far would this extend? 15th? 29th? I-240?

Political correctness is not restricted to the left or liberal wing of the country.
    Exactly. And most people don't need to worry about political correctness because they're not a-holes to begin with.

I don't know why a liberal would be upset anyway. Wouldn't it be more like a conservative to not want a minority group to be honored or singled out for public recognition. I mean, as long as we're playing with ignorant stereotypes...

My only suggestion would be that it might be nicer to honor a local Native American that has contributed a lot to his cultures development in OK. But it may be more appropriate to honor all American Indians this way. I think the real people to ask would be American Indians.

11. Default Re: Street name change

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    Exactly. And most people don't need to worry about political correctness because they're not a-holes to begin with.

I don't know why a liberal would be upset anyway. Wouldn't it be more like a conservative to not want a minority group to be honored or singled out for public recognition. I mean, as long as we're playing with ignorant stereotypes...

My only suggestion would be that it might be nicer to honor a local Native American that has contributed a lot to his cultures development in OK. But it may be more appropriate to honor all American Indians this way. I think the real people to ask would be American Indians.
    Please. This should not be a debate as to YOUR opinion of proper verbage. IF you want to discuss that, then I suggest a new thread. This is for opinions about that particular street being renamed.

12. Default Re: Street name change

What do you think about the name change? Is it too much? Do you think the liberals will cry foul?

This was in the original post and this is what is being discussed.

Everyone's so touchy lately! Chill everyone..........
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Please. This should not be a debate about what's proper debate. If you want to discuss that, please start a new thread.

14. Default Re: Street name change

So my question would be which name is more politically correct: Native American Blvd or American Indian Blvd?

I agree it would be nice to honor a local Native American, however it could be very difficult to get a concensus.

15. Default Re: Street name change

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    The city council voted today to consider renaming part of Eastern "American Indian, Blvd." This section is in front of the future American Indian cultural center.

The quote above is my original post. What I would like to know is where it mentions a term I loathe ("politically correct," which is a way of certain types DEMANDING I use phrases THEY want that I do not accept). It simpally asks if those certain people will protest the name change.

Thank you.

I think the point would be: why would the originator of the post single out a particular group who the author pre-judges might cry foul? Would not other ideology cry foul? Are liberal objections so abhorrent that it merits special attention? Couldn't the question have been asked without the follow-up question (meant to be an unprovoked slam at another's views)?

This should not be a debate as to YOUR opinion of proper verbage. IF you want to discuss that, then I suggest a new thread. This is for opinions about that particular street being renamed.
    WTF? I did not offer any opinion of verbiage. You're crazy. I simply answered your question as to whether liberals would protest this. I see no reason to think that they would. I'm not even sure what being liberal would have to do with this. But, if we were going to go by ignorant stereotypes, then maybe we should be asking if conservatives would protest it because it honors a minority group.

So my question would be which name is more politically correct: Native American Blvd or American Indian Blvd?
    I'm not sure if mranderson would like such discussion on his thread, but it's an interesting question. I don't think either term is generally offensive, even to mranderson. Native American is probably more accurate. The term 'American Indian' really just works to preserve the mistake of the Europeans who landed in America thinking it was the East. Given the choice, I'd go with Native American because it's more representative, imo, but I use them interchangeably as I did in my first post.

What are we calling the cultural center? Native American or American Indian? Maybe we should just ask the Native Americans about whom this whole project is. And if they protest the name, I'm pretty sure they'll be doing it as Native Americans, not liberals.

18. Default Re: Street name change

Personally, I really don't care what Mr. Anderson thinks about the discussion. If he doesn't like it, he can go read something else.

Regarding the center, I guess it's called the American Indian Cultural Center, so it'd make sense that the road would match the name. I just thought everyone had worked so hard to find more "appropriate" verbage than to use the name "Indian".

I'm confused.

19. Default Re: Street name change

The term that is offensive is "politically correct." That is a liberals atempt to dictate what expressions I can use.

In addition. To add. I am a Native American. I wa born on US soil which makes me a native american. The other people are Indians. That is what I mean. I have the right to choose the expressions (with VERY rare exceptions)

20. Default Re: Street name change

I don't think it is a liberal attempt to use terms that are politically correct. These are terms that are becoming acceptable in an effort to show more sensitivity to people who may be different than others.

These terms are trying to remove the negative connotations associated with certain names and labels that might offend and hurt someone else.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    In addition. To add. I am a Native American. I wa born on US soil which makes me a native american. The other people are Indians. That is what I mean. I have the right to choose the expressions (with VERY rare exceptions)
    You know, I heard that same statement from a member of the KKK in a documentary I watched recently.

To add. I am a Native American. I wa born on US soil which makes me a native american. The other people are Indians.
    So where do you think these people were born... India?

I also loved your diatribe that liberals are making you use certain expressions, then you yourself go on to explain what expressions should be used.

I just thought everyone had worked so hard to find more "appropriate" verbage than to use the name "Indian".
    I don't even know if it's a discussion of appropriateness as much as accuracy. I think some people are just stuck in their ways and think that if you make the same mistake enough times, it becomes right.

24. Default Re: Street name change

So where do you think these people were born... India?

I also loved your diatribe that liberals are making you use certain expressions, then you yourself go on to explain what expressions should be used.
    That is not the point. Any person, regardless of ethnicity, born on American soil is an native american. That term is NOT limited to American Indians. THAT is why it is offensive to me to have people demand I referer to an Indian as a Native American.

Oh, By the way. As an American, the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights gave me the freedom to choose the expression I use. It is called the first amendment. Yes. You also have that right. However, it does not extend to telling me what expressions to say just because the offend you. (general comment. This is not directed at any certain person)

That is not the point. Any person, regardless of ethnicity, born on American soil is an native american. That term is NOT limited to American Indians. THAT is why it is offensive to me to have people demand I referer to an Indian as a Native American.

You don't even get it! You're so funny.

You admit that anyone born on American soil is a Native American, but you want to call them Indians. Like you said they were born in America, not India. So are you saying that anyone born in America is an Indian, too.

Look, I don't have a problem with the term American Indian, but you have to admit its etymology comes from a big mistake. But like you said they are Native Americans, they were born here, so why not call them that.

Thread Information