Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodson Park

South OKC Woodson Park

Just read an article on KFOR about big changes coming to the west side of Woodson Park. The article mentions soccer fields, adult size baseball fields etc.
    Sounds like a big project for the area.

Default Re: Woodson Park

Yes, I've seen the building permits.

Let me pull them and see if I can find some specific site plans.

Blog Entries

Snowman posted a diagram in the Soccer Fields thread...

Here it is:

Just to update this thread, the entire park is demo'd and dirt is turned.

I like the plans, will be good for the inner south side.

If they can keep the graffiti artist away it will be great for the inner south.

Graffiti art is amazing.

Graffiti vandalism and gang signs are not. Just wanted to point that out.

You've obviously never arrived to work where the artist have been the night before.

Maybe it was vandalism.

Graffiti art:

Graffiti vandalism:

It doesn't look like much of an aesthetic upgrade to be honest but probably a good reaction tone needs of the neighborhood. Soccer has become a big deal on vacant lot makeshift fields across the south side.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It doesn't look like much of an aesthetic upgrade to be honest but probably a good reaction tone needs of the neighborhood. Soccer has become a big deal on vacant lot makeshift fields across the south side.
    Obviously there are limits to what can be done with aesthetics when you're adding multiple athletic fields. It appears to me that some aesthetics have been considered and it certainly is a substantial improvement to what it there now.

Yes some graffiti is nice and cool , however its usually done illegally on someone else's property.

Here is a link to the news release about the project, along with more info here: City of Oklahoma City | Park Projects

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Obviously there are limits to what can be done with aesthetics when you're adding multiple athletic fields. It appears to me that some aesthetics have been considered and it certainly is a substantial improvement to what it there now.
    Agreed, but a park should have aesthetics. For many communities it should be an aesthetic escape and encourage neighbors to make physical improvements that can snowball. We don't really think of our parks that way in OKC.

Most really are some grass, three swings, and six trees. There's ya park.

Agreed, but a park should have aesthetics. For many communities it should be an aesthetic escape and encourage neighbors to make physical improvements that can snowball. We don't really think of our parks that way in OKC.

Most really are some grass, three swings, and six trees. There's ya park.
    And you have really have no idea from that depiction what the final outcome will be. I agree that aesthetics here would be nice but that won't be what draws the vast majority of the users there. I see no reason to be concerned.

16. Default Re: Woodson Park

It's amazing how you can keep a finger on the pulse of the south side from Cleveland. I live and work on the south side and hadn't noticed that. Please keep me updated on any other developments in my back yard.

As far as Woodson is concerned, I drove by there yesterday and the dirt work is well under way. This will a great addition to the SW side.

^like

18. Default Re: Woodson Park

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    If they can keep the graffiti artist away it will be great for the inner south.
    The dugouts for the baseball field have already been graffitied. The field doesn't even have grass yet.

The plans look great. With the influx of Latino Families and their young ones we need more soccer fields. It's a shame that a small percentage want to ruin it for all others. Makes the whole community look bad.

Maybe they could put in a graffiti wall for "artists" in the area.

If the graffiti wasn't gang related I'd agree, but it would just become a competition and soon it would spread all throughout the park.

It's really sad, but is anyone surprised? I know there are people out there that care, but I really think they are outnumbered.

9/8/2014

23. Default Re: Woodson Park

The graffiti has been cleaned off BTW.

From OKC:

OKC Parks & Recreation to open new Wendel Whisenhunt Sports Complex

The community is invited to celebrate the opening of the new Wendel Whisenhunt Sports Complex, 3200 S. Independence, with a ceremony and FREE outdoor soccer fun from 10 a.m. until noon on Saturday, October 3.

The festivities will kick off at 10 a.m. with a ribbon cutting ceremony presided over by Ward 3 Councilman Larry McAtee. A community celebration with bubble soccer and youth soccer drills will follow at 10:30 a.m.

The new multi-sport complex, located in a portion of Woodson Park on the west side of I-44, features 18 adult and youth soccer fields, plus ADA-accessible spectator areas, restrooms and concession stand. Additional amenities include an adult-sized baseball field, basketball round, new playground area and landscaped parking lots. The sports complex is named after Wendel Whisenhunt, who served as the City’s Parks & Recreation Director from 1996 until 2014.

Beginning at 10:30 a.m., members of the Oklahoma City Police and Fire Departments will take part in a demonstration “Police vs. Fire” bubble soccer match. Child-sized bubbles will also be available for kids to try. In addition, representatives from local Nike community outreach team will provide free youth soccer skills clinics.

“Our citizens should be commended for seeing the vision for this park and voting for it as part of the 2007 General Obligation Bond,” said Parks & Recreation Director Douglas Kupper. “The complex not only brings new life to this part of south Oklahoma City, but represents another step forward in creating available fitness opportunities for the community.”

The Parks & Recreation Department will operate the complex and concession stand, starting with its youth soccer league beginning this October.

The project cost $5.2 million and was funded through the 2007 General Obligation Bond.

For more information about the complex or the Parks & Recreation Department’s youth and adult sports leagues, visit http://www.okc.gov/parks or download a copy of the Department’s 2015 Fall Activities Guide.

Default Woodson Park

There is a lot of construction with new roads in Woodson Park (SW 29th and May area). For some reason I was mistakenly thinking that was one of the new senior citizen centers but realized that is incorrect. What are they building in there?

Thread Information