Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best concert you've ever been to?

Default Best concert you've ever been to?

Kenny Chesney for me. However, I'm hoping Garth Brooks tops that, if he brings his world tour to OKC.

Default Re: Best concert you've ever been to?

I've not been to a ton of concerts so my pickens are rather slim, but Page & Plant.

3. Default Re: Best concert you've ever been to?

Armin Van Buuren. Ibiza, Spain July 2011

I've seen a bunch but I don't ever think I'll ever be able to top the Eagles at the Myriad for the Hotel California tour in July 1977.

When they got to OKC, that album -- one of the best of all time -- was peaking in popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I've not been to a ton of concerts so my pickens are rather slim, but Page & Plant.
    Amen to that.......
    I was to young to have experienced Zep in their prime but did manage to see Page and Plant in 98 at the Myriad which was tops for me. They must have been a real treat in their time.
    Honorable mentions....

Van Halen 1979 OKC Civic Center the ticket I believe was around 6.50 and you could just tell they were going to be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've seen a bunch but I don't ever think I'll ever be able to top the Eagles at the Myriad for the Hotel California tour in July 1977.

When they got to OKC, that album -- one of the best of all time -- was peaking in popularity.
    The other night I watched "the history of the eagles" on showtime and it was very good. Back then I always considered them a wholesome band just judging from their looks as well as music. Boy was I wrong.

the best show i've been to was roger waters' wall show at the bok center. i thought the pros and cons show i saw in '85 was good but this was amazing! best place i've seen a show was the pier in nyc. saw david gilmour there in '84, summer night, on the water with the intrepid behind the crowd. steely dan always puts on a good concert. good tight band.

I have to show my age and say that the best (I haven't been to a lot) I've been to was the Four Seasons in a "Theatre in the Round", Gaithersburg, Md. The crowd was excellent and the Four Seasons showed their appreciation with encores that stretched into the start of the second show and management had to drag them off the stage so that the audience would leave and they could start the late show. Ike and Tina Turner put on a great show in San Diego, Ca., and would be my second choice.
    C. T.

I'll go with more recent ones, in the last decade, and memorable as opposed to best...

The Who at the Ford Center

Pavarotti in Tulsa

Two I'd really like to see, (not together!) Tom Waits and Prince

I have little bit of a different taste in music than most of you. I was in a hard rock band in the late 90's early 2000's so Korn, Tool, Limp Bizkit, Sevendust and the Deftones were probably my favorite bands. Living in Tulsa, all but Tool would play at the Cain's ballroom on about every tour until they got really big. I would say the Primus, Limp Bizkit, Powerman 5000 and POD at the Cain's Ballroom in the winter of 1997 was probably my favorite.

Jimmy Buffett, early in his career, at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman.

(Close second would be Jethro Tull at Red Rocks back in the early 70's--
    the concert with the riots and tear gas and everything.)

Different taste, eh.

Here's a couple more on my more memorable list:

The Minutemen at the Bowery before it moved, in the basement of the Plaza Court, on a week night. I think there were maybe three of us in the place and they still played like there was no tomorrow.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum at The Conservatory.

Mermen at Burningman

Godsmack and Metallica at the Ford Center (that was the name at the time) was amazing. The stage was in the middle and it slowly rotated. Midway through Godsmack's set, the lead singer (Sully Erna) got onto a secondary drum set and had a drum off with his drummer. Coming from a drummer's perspective, it was a truly amazing show.

been to 300+ concerts over 35 years, and radiohead last year in dallas was my favorite. all the ingredients were there - great setlist, the lights and sound were fantastic, the crowd was great, i was close to the stage on a general admission floor and was just enveloped by the whole spectacle.

other top concerts have been roger waters at bok center playing the wall, queen in 80 at the myriad, inxs at the zoo in 86, sigur ros last year in dallas...

Metallica on the Black album tour. Shinedown at Cain's was excellent. John Mellencamp on the Scarecrow tour. Talking Heads Burning Down the House. The Tubes played a Halloween ball at Memorial Auditorium at UNC when I was but a freshman.

If I had ever seen Dave Mathews Band live, this might change.

My Morning Jacket in Dallas a few years back

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I have little bit of a different taste in music than most of you. I was in a hard rock band in the late 90's early 2000's so Korn, Tool, Limp Bizkit, Sevendust and the Deftones were probably my favorite bands. Living in Tulsa, all but Tool would play at the Cain's ballroom on about every tour until they got really big. I would say the Primus, Limp Bizkit, Powerman 5000 and POD at the Cain's Ballroom in the winter of 1997 was probably my favorite.
    I wanted to put Ozzfest 1998 in Kansas City. That lineup included bands like Limp Bizkit, Tool (primary reason I went), Sevendust, Coal Chamber, Ozzy (obviously) and many others. It was a great helluva concert but again, being 35, to witness half of Zeppelin live just had to beat it out...

Depeche Mode in Dallas (this past September).

19. Default Re: Best concert you've ever been to?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

This is also my all time favorite. I had front row seats. Jimmy Buffet opened for them with his Margaretville Album (Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes)

Tough one but I gonna say Shake Russell at my cousin's winery down by Conroe Tejas. That was a fantastic night.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    been to 300+ concerts over 35 years, and radiohead last year in dallas was my favorite. all the ingredients were there - great setlist, the lights and sound were fantastic, the crowd was great, i was close to the stage on a general admission floor and was just enveloped by the whole spectacle.

other top concerts have been roger waters at bok center playing the wall, queen in 80 at the myriad, inxs at the zoo in 86, sigur ros last year in dallas...
    Excellent summary . . . (but you already knew that =).

(would it be possible to add "Trout Fishing in America" (at the Art Building at the Fairgrounds) to the list?
    how about Rush Limbaugh and Garrison Keillor speaking engagements at a couple of local venues?
    I think some music was played . . . their words were music to my ears . . . =)

oops: Forgot Crosby Stills and Nash at the Zoo Amphitheater (opened by some awesome guitar player whose first name was Steve)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Excellent summary . . . (but you already knew that =).

(would it be possible to add "Trout Fishing in America" (at the Art Building at the Fairgrounds) to the list?
    how about Rush Limbaugh and Garrison Keillor speaking engagements at a couple of local venues?
    I think some music was played . . . their words were music to my ears . . . =)

oops: Forgot Crosby Stills and Nash at the Zoo Amphitheater (opened by some awesome guitar player whose first name was Steve)
    Garrison Keillor with Arlo Guthrie and Byron Berline at the Civic Center.

As a matter of fact, Byron Berline and his band upstairs at the Double Stop Fiddle Shop jamming with whoever shows up is worth a mention.

I went to so many when I worked at Sound Warehouse and tickets were cheap (11.00-16.00). I have seen Rush 7 times, Yes (90125 Tour) was very good, we saw The Eagles last year at the Pepsi Center here in Denver. The worst shows that I have seen are Van Halen, the 1984 tour where you could definitely tell there was friction in the band. I refunded the tickets for the second show because the first was so bad. The 5150 Tour (first with Hagar) was much, much better. I went to a bunch of country bar shows including my cousins band every two months when I lived in Dallas (91-93 alternating between Cowboy's in Dallas and Billy Bob's in Fort Worth).

John Mayall & The Blues Breakers with Savoy Brown and Taj Mahal in 1969 at the San Diego Sports Arena.

Got to see Local Natives at the Diamond Ballroom in October, probably my favorite.

Thread Information