Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: TopGolf

Default Re: TopGolf

^

Yes, much windier this time around.

Also, I just scraped my car and there was more than an inch of solid ice. In fact, I don't have a scraper so I ran my defroster full blast for over 20 minutes (!) and the ice didn't budge. Had to break down and improvise with a carpenter's square, which actually worked very well.

2. Default Re: TopGolf

Welcome to Oklahoma!

3. Default Re: TopGolf

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Welcome to Oklahoma!
    +1

Blog Entries

There was a report on Channel 9. Someone can find a link I'm sure. It was an interview with the Dallas (Top Golf HQ) communications director who said they factored in Oklahoma weather into the design, that our facility was different than their others because of this...

Report said closed at least 3 weeks.

5. Default Re: TopGolf

Yeah once that ice started to expand and filled in those holes in the nets it basically just turned into a big sail.

My friend who is a platinum member says they gave him a month free. So between that and losing out on the new years party there they are going to lose a lot of business over the next few weeks.

They should've used steel fencing material like is used on chain link fences.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    If the holes were filled with ice, it wouldn't have helped. It would have pulled the poles down regardless. Plus, that would probably damage the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The net didn't fail, the poles collapsed under the weight of the Nets and ice....

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Did the engineers not take this into consideration
    My guess, as an engineer, is they looked into ice loads, wind loads and combined ice/wind loads. I am not sure of the code on this, but generally you wouldn't look at max ice + max wind together, although we were no where near max wind speeds or ice loads.

My complete guess, is that they did not factor the closing of the net holes with ice and used the same drag load for the wind only and wind+ice condition. I saw the nets the next day, and they looked pretty solid, so there would be a massive drag increase.

I also really doubt the 3 weeks. I watched them assemble the netting originally and it took longer than 3 weeks with perfect weather and all of the materials onsite. I doubt anyone has those poles laying around in stock so they will likely have to be fabricated. I also only saw maybe one pole that is not a total loss, 6 were buckled and the rest were yielded to the south. A redesigned and increase in loads may also require their footers to be redesigned. So you have to have time for new engineering, new drawings, fabrication, city permits, demo of old net structure, assembly of new net. My money would be 6-8 weeks at least. Assuming they don't run into any regulatory or insurance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    The net didn't fail, the poles collapsed under the weight of the Nets and ice....
    Some net panels on the south side did fail. I assumed they landed in the neighborhood to the south. I'd like to know if they failed intact or if they got shredded. If a panel liberated intact, full of ice, it could be fairly dangerous when it landed.

Do you really need a permit to reinstall what was previously approved?

12. Default Re: TopGolf

I would be surprised if there is a code for something as unique as 60? foot tall golf ball netting. BTW, I'm in Tulsa today and we drove right by the Top Golf on the river that's about 75% complete. Poles and netting are up so they probably aren't going to make any modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Hello you're suppose to pull a permit when you put a fence at your house, so yes new permits will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yes, they will have to get a demo permit to remove the old structure and a construction permit to build the new structure. Of course, the approval process will be much shorter than when they were originally proposing the facility. If the city building department is worth its salt, though, they will require new engineering considering the old engineering failed. Which really, everyone involved, including the engineers, should want new engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    I would be surprised if there is a code for something as unique as 60? foot tall golf ball netting. BTW, I'm in Tulsa today and we drove right by the Top Golf on the river that's about 75% complete. Poles and netting are up so they probably aren't going to make any modifications.
    I am not sure what code it would fall under, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was something specific to sports netting/fencing. It may fall under the code for lighting poles, or a more general code.

They could make in situ modifications to the Tulsa facility if deemed necessary. For example, they could weld on a new flange on each side of the pole, or some more targeted reinforcements, They could even add some guy wires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151228_153113935.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	12006
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151228_152859862.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	12007

Some more pictures

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    That's not a TopGolf, its something very similar called FlyingTee

17. Default Re: TopGolf

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    ....they are going to lose a lot of business over the next few weeks.
    Heck... They've made enough money off me and my friends to replace those nets and poles a couple of times over already.

18. Default Re: TopGolf

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    That's not a TopGolf, its something very similar called FlyingTee
    OK. But ice and wind will have the same result.

They had all the damaged poles taken down and I saw new poles laying on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if they just diverted the poles from another location that was under construction. If they make modifications to the netting system, its going to be after they reopen.

I had several of their bartenders stop by FlashBack last week and they said they were being paid for 2 weeks worth, while the nets were repaired, but it looks like this repair might actually take 4 weeks if not more, weather permitting.

Little hard to see but they are getting close on having the nets reinstalled:

It's coming up on 4 weeks and it looks like they still have quite a bit of work yet to go.

Hard to see but the nets are all in the process of going up.

I bet they'll be done very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hard to see but the nets are all in the process of going up.

I bet they'll be done very soon.
    Do they erect the poles as they put the nets up, cause from this picture it looks like half the poles aren't even up yet.

When the originally put them up, they put up all the poles first, then the nets. IIRC, they spent at least a couple of weeks putting up the nets.

I bet they have at least 3 more weeks.

Thread Information