Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sam's Club

1. Default Re: Sams club layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    JTF is saying (I think) that we don't actually have a FREE market, but a manipulated market where the forces aren't actually allowed to compete fairly in all cases. Perhaps along the lines of "too big to fail"? JTF, correct me if I'm off base.
    100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Panda. Ina 100% free-market capitalist system we would not have a minimum wage. Without the minimum wage requirements, Walmart would pay half their currents wages. Walmart is committed to being the lowest on everything. Whether that be prices quality wages or anything else, they are committed to having the lowest.

That is their right but it is also my right as a shopper to not support that kind of disgusting behavior
    ...and we wouldn't have the social benefits that Walmart relies on to help compensate their employees either. They would have to pay the full cost of the job they want done.

2. Default Re: Sams club layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Should the purchase of stock be subject to sales tax then?
    No, because you will eventually pay taxes on the capital gains and dividends, whether in a non-retirement account or in a retirement account. If you die with it, you pass it to your children subject to estate taxes. Investing in stock is investing in a company. While some profit, just as many lose money. Would you tax someone who buys a coffee shop or a printing plant for the cost of the purchase?
    I see you too have also confused buying and selling with profit and loss. If I buy collectable trading cards at the comic book store as an investment why do I have to pay a sales tax? Shouldn't I be able to buy them not only tax free but also with pre-tax dollars?

Default Re: Sams club layoffs

Panda. Ina 100% free-market capitalist system we would not have a minimum wage. Without the minimum wage requirements, Walmart would pay half their currents wages. Walmart is committed to being the lowest on everything. Whether that be prices quality wages or anything else, they are committed to having the lowest.

That is their right but it is also my right as a shopper to not support that kind of disgusting behavior
    Ok, there is a line drawn where and what we regulate. I support having a minimum wage, but not limiting the growth of a successful company.

The exact point I'm making is, they have their rights and you have yours. If you don't want to shop there, then awesome! That is why we live in a free society where we can make decisions such as where we want to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Ok, there is a line drawn where and what we regulate. I support having a minimum wage, but not limiting the growth of a successful company.

The exact point I'm making is, they have their rights and you have yours. If you don't want to shop there, then awesome! That is why we live in a free society where we can make decisions such as where we want to shop.
    But how free is the society when the "free" market favors one company over another and drives the rest out of business due to unfair advantages? How free are we then to make decisions about where we shop?

5. Default Re: Sams club layoffs

No one is saying Walmart can't grow as big as they want. We are just saying pay the same taxes the rest of us are paying and stop pushing your employee compensation on the taxpayer. If you need the shelves stocked and the customers greeted then pay what it cost to stock shelves and greet customers. Why would anyone think that is such an unfair burden on Walmart?

Panda. Ina 100% free-market capitalist system we would not have a minimum wage. Without the minimum wage requirements, Walmart would pay half their currents wages.
    Not necessarily. If the market were permitted total freedom, there's no telling what Wal-Mart might have to pay. It could be half of their current wages, it could be double. It's hard to say, as there are very many constraints on the free market of labor.

Default Re: Sam's Club

Does anyone know if the Sam's in Edmond has been requiring masks, even though the City of Edmond does not?

I ask because I wonder if the OKC stores will drop the requirement once the city mandate expires at the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Does anyone know if the Sam's in Edmond has been requiring masks, even though the City of Edmond does not?

I ask because I wonder if the OKC stores will drop the requirement once the city mandate expires at the end of this month.
    Good question with lots of national chains. They all mostly have used the “local ordinance” as reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I was at the Sam’s in Edmond this morning. Employees were wearing masks. Most customers were masked, but several were not. I imagine that if they have a mask policy, they aren’t enforcing it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by theanvil View Post
    I was at the Sam’s in Edmond this morning. Employees were wearing masks. Most customers were masked, but several were not. I imagine that if they have a mask policy, they aren’t enforcing it any more.
    edmond walmart and sams no longer have the forced mask signs on their doors ..

I am one who wears and mask and social distances more then the 6 ft. I do around 15 ft from those without masks. These people just dont seem to care about us older folks who do social distance and mask. I did have another incident in the Edmond Sam's club this past week. These people just dont care and will run you over with their shopping carts. I have bad knees and cannot move fast. Why the heck do these people just if you dont move fast enough to get out of their way will literarlly knock you over with their carts. Yes larger middle aged men. No one seems to care about older women these days.

Dont say do the online. I've tried that and had over half my order out of stock when you could see people walking out the door with the items in their carts.

The Sam's in Norman still does 7am to 9am elderly folks shopping only time on Tuesdays.

I go in the morning during plus hours. I will have to remember about the 7 am on Tues. One thing I have noticed in the past when going to senior/at risk hours is that a lot of younger very able bodied people shopping. The stores will not ask if they are at risk and people know this and just go in and shop.

I think this is the reason some stores stopped having those hours is because it was packed with younger people.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I go in the morning during plus hours. I will have to remember about the 7 am on Tues. One thing I have noticed in the past when going to senior/at risk hours is that a lot of younger very able bodied people shopping. The stores will not ask if they are at risk and people know this and just go in and shop.
    You can't always tell what a persons risk level is by just looking at them.

Understand but when the majority of people in the store are younger ie under 50 and some say "oh great the store is open and I can shop early" type thing, you get the idea they are only there because they think they can shop early. Also when they are not wearing masks and refuse to social distance and when you politely ask them to soical distance and they say I dont have time for this xxxxxx.

Thread Information