Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Default Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

I believe the city and university are now working together on a master plan for the area between main street and campus corner...something like a "center city master plan".

Default Re: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Gosh, and they have such a great track record! The UNP is magnificent, and Lindsey Street will be amazing! I betcha we can do some cool visioning with OU experts! Maybe we can even tie this in with the expensive drawings we purchased of the lovely Porter Street.

Aww, ain't no thang.
    Another parking lot or two here, an apartment bldg. or two there, another church expansion here, one there, and yer done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Gosh, and they have such a great track record! The UNP is magnificent, and Lindsey Street will be amazing! I betcha we can do some cool visioning with OU experts! Maybe we can even tie this in with the expensive drawings we purchased of the lovely Porter Street.
    Kind of make you wonder how many balls they plan on dropping doesn't it. It seems every college town in America has rediscovered 'walking' except Norman. If they want to attract students 10 years from now they need to get their act together. If someone was ever to build a college campus in/adjacent to downtown OKC it could put a dent in OU and OSU enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If someone was ever to build a college campus in/adjacent to downtown OKC it could put a dent in OU and OSU enrollment.
    I don't see that happening. Why would you spread already thin resources over an even larger area? Though OCU could move some other things downtown. The only urban university in Oklahoma is OSU-Tulsa and it has been a fight to get it expanded because of fear that it will eat too much into the enrollment in Stillwater (which it would).

I am hopeful a master plan can be developed for central Norman that promotes walkability and transit because the way that area is set up is perfect for it but needs a better plan so suburban interests don't compromise it.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I don't see that happening. Why would you spread already thin resources over an even larger area? Though OCU could move some other things downtown. The only urban university in Oklahoma is OSU-Tulsa and it has been a fight to get it expanded because of fear that it will eat too much into the enrollment in Stillwater (which it would).

I am hopeful a master plan can be developed for central Norman that promotes walkability and transit because the way that area is set up is perfect for it but needs a better plan so suburban interests don't compromise it.
    You don't see what happening? I think your example of OSU-Tulsa is exactly what I was saying (although I wouldn't call it urban despite the location). I was thinking more along the lines of Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Univ of Wisconsin, Chico St (where I used to live), etc...

For OU to compete for students going forward they are going to have to create the type of environment future students are going to want to live and learn in. My son, who I mentioned in another thread doesn't have any interest in driving, is looking at Palm Beach Atlantic University in downtown West Palm Beach. Everything he could want is within walking distance of the campus, including a substantial business community, Tri-rail station, and soon an All-Aboard Florida rail system that will allow him to ride the train back home to Jacksonville.

I meant I don't see a new university being built by downtown OKC. But yes OU can be a much more urban campus even in suburban Norman. Lawrence, KS is a good example of that , and one Norman should look up to as an example.

Thought I would put this here instead of muddying the waters on the Memorial Stadium Master Plan thread.

Imagine a downtown Norman 12,000-14,000 seat arena owned by the city and rented to OU for men's and women's basketball, but also available for hosting other functions like high school games, State basketball tournaments, concerts, conventions/trade shows, graduations, etc... with the ability to sell alcohol. A parking garage adjacent to the arena could provide parking to downtown Norman businesses during the day, restaurants in the evening and on weekends, and the arena on game nights.

NCAA Sued Over Forcing High School Tournaments Off Its Campuses - Forbes

In past posts, I’ve written about the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s quest to remove high school events from member campuses, just in case a program was receiving a recruiting benefit from hosting one — or faced the threat of a recruiting deficit if it didn’t. In particular, the NCAA has banned high school basketball tournaments (except for those events sanctioned by a state association, which basically means postseason tournament games), and 7-on-7 elite football tournaments.

We went to a Jacksonville University basketball game on Saturday afternoon. They play off-campus at Jax Veterans Memorial Arena. Despite a small crowd (which wouldn't be any bigger if held on-campus) it made for a nice day because we could partake in the area's amenities. Restaurants adjacent to the arena were open and people were on the street - in part because the Jacksonville Giants (ABA) has their own basketball game about 3 hours after the JU game ended. Instead of the city-owned parking garages and arena only serving one event on Saturday, it served two. While I am not a 'drinker' alcohol sales were allowed because it was not a university campus.

Interesting.... I did not know that.....

OSU still has many high school football playoff games on its campus.
    I don't think OU has had any playoff games in the past several years. Maybe this^ is why?

I think mainly they are trying to get rid of association games. You have high school kids playing is games that are not directly affiliated with the school, and a lot of the guys who run those things are involved with shady recruiters.

Hoyasooner, it is an incremental process. The NCAA doesn't want high school sports being played on college campuses but they can only get there one step at a time.

The annual Norman v. Norman North FB game is played @ OU every year.

And when I was in school at Norman High all of our footballs were played there.

It sounds like this is going to be a pretty neat process. Talks of a 5 day public charrette sometime in May, possibly June, with consultants from the National Charrette Institute in Portland. Bill Lenertz is being discussed as the lead for the charrette. He is the Executive Director at the NCI.

We shall see. Still much to be decided, but if it turns out anything close to this, it could be pretty special.

16. Default Re: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNorman View Post
    It sounds like this is going to be a pretty neat process. Talks of a 5 day public charrette sometime in May, possibly June, with consultants from the National Charrette Institute in Portland. Bill Lenertz is being discussed as the lead for the charrette. He is the Executive Director at the NCI.

We shall see. Still much to be decided, but if it turns out anything close to this, it could be pretty special.
    Sounds interesting. Welcome to the forum as well.

Also, this isn't directly related to the Core Norman master plan...but there will be a Better Block Norman event happening on Main Street in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Sounds interesting. Welcome to the forum as well.
    Thanks! Here is the Norman Transcript that provides some further commentary on the charrette, without mentioning specifics.

Norman Transcript : Council members unanimously approve contract for center city study

I wonder if CVS locating in Campus Corner will make the area even more attractive for high density residential which hopefully this plan recommends. This would be on the north side between White and Apache, and the church parking lots on the west side of University.

The Norman Chamber of Commerce surveyed city council candidates on a number of topics. Question 11 concerned the Center City Master Plan. An easy-to-follow two-page PDF of the results can be found here: http://www.normanchamber.com/userupl...oter_guide.pdf

If those responses are any indication, developing anything resembling an urban village is going to face one hell of a NIMBY attack.

So vote for Rhett jones over incumbent Greg jungman in ward 4 if we want this to become a reality

22. Default Re: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    So vote for Rhett jones over incumbent Greg jungman in ward 4 if we want this to become a reality
    He is an incumbent, so if the trend continues from the last council elections he'll be out of a job since most of them lost re-election last time.

Rhett Jones also lives downtown and is a supporter of the master plan. From the Transcript:

The study of the corridor linking Campus Corner and downtown is a primary area of interest to Jones. He said many voters may have trouble keeping up with all of the options and he hopes to aid the city in getting things done in a fiscally responsible manner.

Core Norman visioning meeting TONIGHT AT 6:30 at the Episcopal Church at the corner of Dewey and Asp. Come!

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Core Norman visioning meeting TONIGHT AT 6:30 at the Episcopal Church at the corner of Dewey and Asp. Come!
    Let us know how it goes

Thread Information