Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossroads Mall

Default Re: Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Majority? There are quite a few between 35/44, but it's a HUGE stretch to say they cover the majority of the road. And i believe most of them are concentrated right near Penn. I'd agree that getting them to clean up would be difficult, but if you look at them, you can tell the ones your probably speaking of are also low income housing. So there's not going to be a lot of extra profit around to spend on a look from the highway. Probably the best thing you could hope for is some large trees to block the view.

But some of them aren't really bad looking. The one on the south side of 240 just west of May redid the facade several years ago to what it is now. If you remember, each unit had a different "look", even on the same building. Now at least it's consistent. The one on the south side near Western...Santa Fe looking whatever, is in good shape. 240 Place or something, i feel like is done well. The rest...not so much. But there's a big difference in rates between those complexes too. Then there's the middle ground with the north side one...Something Ridge. It's not bad looking for apartments it's age either. Really i think the crappy ones are the ones between Penn and Western on the south side, and they all happen to be right in a row.

While we're at it, let's talk about the crappy 7-11. The usually abandoned vet clinic that's been a million things (next to Chick Fil A). The ever crappy looking Office Depot that always looks like it should be closed, so they put up a sign that says "yes we're open".

But in general terms, i dont think that this section of 240 really looks all that bad. There are very few spaces that are empty, and those seem to always be empty.
    BIngo. I can't fathom anyone wants to do ANYTHING with that vet clinic, but it's probably too expensive to tear down without a new purpose in hand. I once asked if that Office Depot was going to close, and the manager told me, "Oh, no. Not this one. Office Depot actually owns this building and it's an important part of the entire OKC Office Depot presence, not just as a retail store." I infer from that they use it for bulk inventory and office deliveries. That place barely looks much different from when it opened as a Handyman Lumber back around 1977. If they're going to stay there, I wish they'd at least put a new facade on it to freshen it up a bit. It looks Just Awful, and the interior isn't much better.

I wonder if the charter school was working on that deal before Heritage closed? That old Best Buy is probably already configured for a school setting.

Speaking of which, that whole area after Heritage left is now dead. Oklahoman's must love their steak because Texas Roadhouse is always busy. I still wonder about the longtime fate about that AMC. They survived one Warren Theater, but can they survive being sandwiched between two?

Saw on LinkedIn that Crossroads mall sold. Don’t have any other info besides that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210605-012647_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	726.4 KB 
ID:	16881

Keep in mind the sale only includes the mall itself, some of the parking lot and the old JC Penny's department store on the west end - see below.

The other 3 former dept. stores and a good chunk of the parking are under separate ownership.

I've heard they might turn the property that was just sold into a distribution center, which would make sense. The days of retail and restaurants seem far behind them.

^
    going off the map, that looks like the old jcpenney space.

from my recollection... dillard's was south, jcpenney was west, john a. brown (later sanger-harris, then macy's) was north, and montgomery ward on the east.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ^
    going off the map, that looks like the old jcpenney space.

from my recollection... dillard's was south, jcpenney was west, john a. brown (later sanger-harris, then macy's) was north, and montgomery ward on the east.
    You are right.

I've corrected my post.

Blog Entries

So you're saying it's not a front group preparing to build a soccer stadium?

:-P

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You are right.

I've corrected my post.

Also, the Facebook post above says the sale also includes the old Dillards space. Not just Penney’s.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    Also, the Facebook post above says the sale also includes the old Dillards space. Not just Penney’s.
    Yes, thanks for the correction.

Here is the former Dillards property:

12. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

Cue the bulldozer keys......

man... if i had the money i have thought for awhile that having an Urban Mall themed Paintball facility would have been amazing. sadly, now those dreams will never come to reality.

I came across this video and it made me sad:

I really like Crossroads Mall and I feel as if a big investment was made especially turning the area around it into a more upscale type development it could have a chance. It’d still be a huge gamble though. I just hope they don’t tear it out without any solid plans. Give the mall a chance unless something really solid comes through.

I still think this is a prime chance to build a large development here. I know a lot of people won’t like this idea but the soccer stadium with be great here. Build a soccer stadium, Medieval Times, and a lifestyle center. It’s next to I-35 and I-240, great access, near the Hispanic community, and near the proposed rail line which could have a special stop. Hell maybe part of the mall could be saved.

At the very least I’d like to see this idea at least studied and considered. Why not even give it a chance?

I wasn't crazy about that video. The carousel was put in years after it was built, not from day one. Sears was never a tenant. The NBA to OKC didn't have anything to do with Crossroads closing. Just a lot of glopped conjecture. At least the video shows that what security there is keeps the worst of the vandals away.

16. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

i hope Prarie Surf Studios can purchase or lease at Crossroads.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I wasn't crazy about that video. The carousel was put in years after it was built, not from day one. Sears was never a tenant. The NBA to OKC didn't have anything to do with Crossroads closing. Just a lot of glopped conjecture. At least the video shows that what security there is keeps the worst of the vandals away.
    Thanks for the feedback. My only memories of this mall was going to the pet shop when I was a kid. It was a really cool pet store. The once before it closed I had a chance to go back and walk around it and I was really surprised how nice it was minus half of the stores being closed.

The parking lot around it was dreadful. Just a barren wasteland. I’m not saying you can build an extravagant parking lot and then boom the mall will come back to life but it really kills the vibe for me. The parking lot at quail springs sucks as well. At least PS consolidated some of theirs into a structured garage and has landscaping through I think they could use more.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    man... if i had the money i have thought for awhile that having an Urban Mall themed Paintball facility would have been amazing. sadly, now those dreams will never come to reality.
    Paint ball ? They'd use real bullets down there. j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Paint ball ? They'd use real bullets down there. j/k
    That would be Penn Square Mall.

This would be a good spot for the not-so-recently-fabled IKEA OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSully View Post
    This would be a good spot for the not-so-recently-fabled IKEA OKC.
    I actually had the same thought this morning wondering if they enticed IKEA to build attached to one end whether it would allow the mall to revitalize. Completely wishful thinking though. ( I have never seen an IKEA that wasn't a free standing building either)

IKEA likes to build their own buildings (or lease a building built to spec), I don't think they have any repurposed buildings. They have a very specific building plan.

When they were looking at OKC before, it was on the Memorial corridor.

When I got my first car one of the first things I wanted to do with it was to drive to Crossroads Malls for my first time there.

The old John A. Brown on the north side was purchased earlier this year (the ownership is separate from the group that recently bought the mall and 2 of the old department stores) and will be converted into a cannabis grow facility.

Thread Information