Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossroads Mall

Default Re: Crossroads Mall

I think the $1.1 million is 75% for fixed costs of transportable items (bleachers, scoreboard, carpet, etc.). And I’m guessing the league is is gonna last at least 2 years, possibly more. It is also quite possible an outdoor performance venue that is half the size of traditional stadiums will be a very popular location for other events.

People do things outdoors in the spring and I can see this doing well. “UFL-half the size and twice the action! And not a bad seat in the house!”

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    They are going to pay $1.1 million to build a temporary outdoor stadium for one year? Which has to be 10x more than it would cost to rent a similar sized indoor arena with the same sized field and out of the weather?

What? Why?
    Agreed, seems like an odd choice.

I wonder if this concept was dreamed up with covid/pandemic awareness thinking attendees might be more willing to attend if it's outdoors. Seems like a large risky bet that people would care about that at this point now.

Or maybe the league was actually created to sell temporary bleachers to cities at a profit knowing they won't last long but will make a quick margin on the actual bleachers themselves lol I can't make any sense of this.

Opening day keeps getting pushed back. It was suppose to open in November then they said in December now it is Feb 2023. They keep adding more projects the owners of the mall posted on their facebook that they purchased a old hotel next to the mall and will be renovating it and plans will be announced soon on whats to come? I think the owners which are also the owners chronic weed are bitting off more than they can chew. I say complete one project first before venturing into another. Again I hope this round of crossroads mall revival works but I have a feeling its just going to be the New Old Paris Flea Market once its all said and done.

Even when it reopens you can expect Old Paris vibes. It's never going to be an actual mall again with big anchors and actual stores people expect at a mall.

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Even when it reopens you can expect Old Paris vibes. It's never going to be an actual mall again with big anchors and actual stores people expect at a mall.
    Like I said before, the mall should have been bulldozed and turned into something new that is useful

6. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

I think it will be good for local businesses to have a proper venue. BTW, it's Chinese owners - so I can only assume the Asian Mall/Restaurant concepts will be built and successful. I also like that the NEW Crossroads is not focus on retail as a destination but as the mall being something other than retail as the focus, with local retail thrown in. This to me is not Old Paris Flea Market but instead more like a local business incubator that happens to be what? 2 million square feet. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Odd that the people running the crossroads convention and main inside mall facebook page are saying they r the owners and they have nothing to do with the asian market and restaurant that bought only the old JCpennys building not the main mall itself which the people who own the convention a big chunk of the main mall is the owners of the Cronic Weed. They sure are acting like the owners since they are the ones posting updates and repairs they are doing in the mall and handling the stores leasing etc.

^

I went out and met with the couple doing the leasing for the mall.

They are planning to run the convention center and are doing the mall leasing for the Chinese owners. They are not the owners of any of the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I went out and met with the couple doing the leasing for the mall.

They are planning to run the convention center and are doing the mall leasing for the Chinese owners. They are not the owners of any of the property.
    oh wow thanks for clearing that up, they keep acting like its them and promoting chronic crunk on everything. Interesting to know this. I wonder whats the deal with the hotel they are talking about. wonder if they are the owners of that or not.

Pete,

Since you have some level of relationship with the group tied to the management or operation of Crossroads, I am going to toss this out there in general and to you in particular.

i think they have a really serious PR issue right now. To me, their messaging is muddled and confused at best, and the perpetually pushed back reopening is confusing and at worst causing people to view the effort with increasing skepticism. I know I'm getting less confident about their effort with every passing day.

There are seemingly conflicting stories about whether renters have paid rents or deposits (if any), or the kinds of contracts they have signed, and I think everyone involved (inside and out) would benefit greatly from a "journalistic" Q&A about their status.

So far, I think they have benefitted greatly from positive public PR about their reopening, but these other messages about other activities combined with what seems to be yet another delay all serve to make the effort seem very muddled and confused. I think prospective business owners signing up for space in the mall as well as OKC residents in general would be well served by a "clearing of the air" about the status of this current reopening project.

To say things are muddied right now would be an understatement. I don't have a good feeling at all where things stand, and given how this current reopen effort has benefitted from essentially unchallenged public PR, I think some frank and possibly tough questions and answers aren't an unreasonable expectation.

Let me close by saying I am NOT suggesting anything wrong or nefarious is going on, just that we have a very muddled PR message that needs to be cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Let me close by saying I am NOT suggesting anything wrong or nefarious is going on, just that we have a very muddled PR message that needs to be cleaned up.
    Have you Stranger Things season 3? There is obviously a secret Chinese military base underneath the mall.

I guess the property manager gets free rent? The way she advertises on facebook for the 'Mall' you would think they are opening up pot land. Maybe not too far from the truth.

There have been numerous plans on revitalizing the mall/area but nothing has worked. I think the reason people hold onto the idea that this could be a great space is due to memories and nostalgia. It's time to do away with the nostalgia for Crossroads. It's just not going to work. We need to stop holding onto the big chunk of asphalt and concrete.

Blog Entries

The Crossroads Parking lot would a good fit for the MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium which will be designed to hold a regulation pitch soccer stadium. You could build the stadium on those grounds and have paved parking already in place.

The stadium itself as a co-center piece could help with the revitalization of Crossroads Mall, especially when you're talking
    about the mall opening a nice size Chinese restaurant. There are theaters on the grounds as well which if not operable, could be given new life. It has been a long time since I've been in the area, just not up to date with the area's development.

14. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The Crossroads Parking lot would a good fit for the MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium which will be designed to hold a regulation pitch soccer stadium. You could build the stadium on those grounds and have paved parking already in place.

The stadium itself as a co-center piece could help with the revitalization of Crossroads Mall, especially when you're talking
    about the mall opening a nice size Chinese restaurant. There are theaters on the grounds as well which if not operable, could be given new life. It has been a long time since I've been in the area, just not up to date with the area's development.
    Following you from BigSoccer - this is an absymal location for the MAPS4 Stadium.

The interchange is going to be a 5-10 year project with associated traffic headache and just because a sea of asphalt exists, doesn't mean we should use it.

A similar development proposal was floated to repurpose Pontiac Stadium for an MLS Expansion club and convention hall / performance venue and this isn't any better or well thought out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Devils Architect View Post
    Following you from BigSoccer - this is an absymal location for the MAPS4 Stadium.

The interchange is going to be a 5-10 year project with associated traffic headache and just because a sea of asphalt exists, doesn't mean we should use it.

A similar development proposal was floated to repurpose Pontiac Stadium for an MLS Expansion club and convention hall / performance venue and this isn't any better or well thought out.
    Good point, totally forgot about the upcoming interchange project. IIRC Farmers Market--West of Classen and just north of I-40, Wheeler Park and Producers Coop--Just south of Bricktown are the last locations the city listed as potential locations.

The Producers Coop site is attempting to get $3 million per acre. IMO it would be an idea location. City budgeted $41 million for the stadium, so you can eliminate the Producers Coop site.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good point, totally forgot about the upcoming interchange project. IIRC Farmers Market--West of Classen and just north of I-40, Wheeler Park and Producers Coop--Just south of Bricktown are the last locations the city listed as potential locations.

The Producers Coop site is attempting to get $3 million per acre. IMO it would be an idea location. City budgeted $41 million for the stadium, so you can eliminate the Producers Coop site.
    I know everyone wants any stadium to be "downtown", or as close as possible. But wouldn't the Fairgrounds be a good place for it? HUGE mounts of parking. HUGE amounts of unused space. Maybe one reason I think this is because it seems all we've been doing is taking things OUT of the Fairgrounds. SO much so, that it just seems like a big parking lot now.

Blog Entries

MAPS4 Re: Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I know everyone wants any stadium to be "downtown", or as close as possible. But wouldn't the Fairgrounds be a good place for it? HUGE mounts of parking. HUGE amounts of unused space. Maybe one reason I think this is because it seems all we've been doing is taking things OUT of the Fairgrounds. SO much so, that it just seems like a big parking lot now.
    The stadium is on a $41 million budget (an increase of $4 million from $37 million). Wherever you construct the stadium, parking will be a monumental concern.

Three sites high on City's list: https://kfor.com/news/local/city-lea...rpose-stadium/

Farmers Market- West of Classen and just north of I-40
    Wheeler Park- Currently owned by the city
    Producers Coop- Just south of Bricktown.

Funk Jr., selected option one.

Planned MAPS 4 Stadium will be one level with 8,000 chairback seats capable of expansion to 18,000 or more seats.

Fairgrounds (City owned land) where we are building the MAPS 4 Coliseum could include the stadium since there's plenty
    of parking and less expensive extensions to infrastructure connections available. Fairgrounds IMO should not be ruled out.

18. Default Re: Crossroads Mall

love the option but disappointed it will only be 8000 seats (for $41m??) and also disappointed expansion only adds 10,000. Aren't we seeking MLS guys? Should minimum start at about 12,000 seats expandable to 30,000.

I also disagree with you Larry on the fairgrounds as an option. Sorry, they blew it (up, literally) with what once was there. Also, I think it is very important that we locate the stadium as close as possible to the traditional latin community; if it can't be on the Southside then it needs to be as close as possible. The choices the city has are perfect; with Farmers Market as my preference given its location and that such a venue would help anchor the flegling district into something very special. Crossroads, combining wht the AFL or whatever football league is going there, could really be an option checking all boxes (including your idea for existing parking).

I'm torn between Farmers Market and Crossroads but would give the edge to Farmers since it would really help there much better; and a new/different stadium (temp to start) at Crossroads.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    love the option but disappointed it will only be 8000 seats (for $41m??) and also disappointed expansion only adds 10,000. Aren't we seeking MLS guys? Should minimum start at about 12,000 seats expandable to 30,000.

I also disagree with you Larry on the fairgrounds as an option. Sorry, they blew it (up, literally) with what once was there. Also, I think it is very important that we locate the stadium as close as possible to the traditional latin community; if it can't be on the Southside then it needs to be as close as possible. The choices the city has are perfect; with Farmers Market as my preference given its location and that such a venue would help anchor the flegling district into something very special. Crossroads, combining wht the AFL or whatever football league is going there, could really be an option checking all boxes (including your idea for existing parking).

I'm torn between Farmers Market and Crossroads but would give the edge to Farmers since it would really help there much better; and a new/different stadium (temp to start) at Crossroads.
    17 of the MLS stadiums seat 22k or under

12 under 21k

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

There is a traditional Latino Community in the Capitol Hill area, my parish at Little Flower Catholic Church is in walking distance of the Latino Community Development Agency; however there are pockets of areas where you have apartment complexes spread throughout OKC where there is a good number of the Latino Community residing.

Oklahoma City is very diverse, so just my opinion, it won't matter where you put the stadium--so long as it is built to the specifications with room for expansion.

I realize we are getting off the track of the Crossroads Mall thread, but I am following this discussion with interest, as St. Louis (where I live) is in the process of debuting their new MLS stadium this winter towards the team's inaugural MLS season starting this spring.

https://www.stlcitysc.com/stadium/

I am a little worried about the prospect of all this for OKC, to be honest. OKC may have a thriving Latino community but the OKC of my memory did not have a particularly strong soccer culture. Maybe that has changed. Regardless, I kind of feel like the city is getting too big population-wise to be proposing and designing stadiums for minor league aspirations. If MLS is the goal, design the stadium for that from the beginning. Kind of like the experience with the Thunder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I realize we are getting off the track of the Crossroads Mall thread, but I am following this discussion with interest, as St. Louis (where I live) is in the process of debuting their new MLS stadium this winter towards the team's inaugural MLS season starting this spring.

https://www.stlcitysc.com/stadium/

I am a little worried about the prospect of all this for OKC, to be honest. OKC may have a thriving Latino community but the OKC of my memory did not have a particularly strong soccer culture. Maybe that has changed. Regardless, I kind of feel like the city is getting too big population-wise to be proposing and designing stadiums for minor league aspirations. If MLS is the goal, design the stadium for that from the beginning. Kind of like the experience with the Thunder.
    Agree 100%

The design above has two twin multilevels across from the length of the field. Could seat anywhere from 18,000 - 22,000.

You're right stlokc, go ahead and build the basic chairbacks seat stadium. Leave some of the suites unfinished until needed (When you obtain an MLS franchise).

Use the ground level seats for USL or games that demand more seats.

Crossroads should be reserved for a large Buc-ee’s and an NFL stadium, imo.

Need to be thinking much bigger than MLS.

How big do you think? Possibly a bowl game for Division 1 football or NFL, or a more conservative estimate of 24k?

Oklahoma City is not getting an NFL team; not with the enduring power of college football and two D1 teams with passionate fan bases within an hour’s drive. There isn’t enough local football money to make OU, OSU, and the NFL all work. Not until the metro area doubles in size, at least.

Thread Information