Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dunkin Donuts

Default Re: Dunkin Donuts

Quote Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
    How do you people bump this thread today of all days and not mention the free donuts at DD and KK?
    Because I for one was unaware that there were free donuts at DD and KK

Another example of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I always considered Dunkin Donuts to be just another run of the mill donut chain (not bad but nothing special).

Dunkin? Donuts Returns to SoCal; First Location Opens in Santa Monica | KTLA

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    Winchells was the best donut shop EVER. I miss it every time I want a donut.

But I do love DD coffee and a french cruller.
    If you're up for a road trip, there is one Winchell's Donut House left located in Enid, OK.

So have we heard anything else of this rumored expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Another example of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I always considered Dunkin Donuts to be just another run of the mill donut chain (not bad but nothing special).

Dunkin? Donuts Returns to SoCal; First Location Opens in Santa Monica | KTLA
    Exactly.

I lived in Oklahoma for 29 years and had never set foot in a DD, yet I have friends out here that are completely obsessed, simply because we have not had them in California.

I know all about this opening because about 10 of my friends have been posting on Facebook about it for months.

Remember how people lined up fro Krispy Kreme? Now, most of them are closed.

Blog Entries

I spent last week in New York and Philadelphia where Duncan Donuts are seemingly on every corner and are the only common breakfast option, at least in Philly. We tried DD a couple of mornings but they are really pretty bad. Bad donuts, bad bagels, just really a bad chain. Even Einstein Bagels are better, and I can't stand Einstein.

Now I am not going to defend DD very vehemently, as they are a pretty low-quality chain. I will say that they are the only place to get donuts every day of the week, outside of the morning hours. Also, unlike their local competitors, DD makes donuts throughout the day, so if you walk in at 4 PM you will get something decently fresh. Better selection than most competitors also, and the Kruller...mmmmmmmhhh. Nothing else quite like it. Pretty cheap even for the "specialty" donuts (Fritters and the like) and adequate coffee. In summation, I do not go out of my way to hit up a DD, but I would not object to there being more of them around.

I don't care for their donuts, but I get coffee from the DD at 36th and May pretty regularly. It's nice to have close, but I wouldn't stand in line like that for one. I imagine Santa Monica must have dozens of better donut options.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Now I am not going to defend DD very vehemently, as they are a pretty low-quality chain. I will say that they are the only place to get donuts every day of the week, outside of the morning hours. Also, unlike their local competitors, DD makes donuts throughout the day, so if you walk in at 4 PM you will get something decently fresh. Better selection than most competitors also, and the Kruller...mmmmmmmhhh. Nothing else quite like it. Pretty cheap even for the "specialty" donuts (Fritters and the like) and adequate coffee. In summation, I do not go out of my way to hit up a DD, but I would not object to there being more of them around.
    Now, I am not 100% sure, but I'm almost certain that their donuts are not freshly baked at their individual locations. I was told by somebody in the know, that they have a system similar to 7-Eleven. Their donuts are baked at a central location, then transported to the individual shops. They have to do this because the donut making process is actually a somewhat difficult process. And in no way will their employees, who are making $8/hour, be skilled enough to bake donuts. Although I do like the fact that you can get donuts there throughout the day, I will go with a local mom-and-pop shop any day the week. Their donuts are at least 10 times better

As to whether the donuts are made in the individual store, it depends on the market and the stores themselves -- and the local ownership.

I suspect in OKC most locations do not make their own and rather rely on a centralized facility. Makes sense when you have a decent number of stores in close proximity.

I stand by my point though. You want a donut at 3PM any day of the week and your choices are stale ones from a grocery store or moderately acceptable ones from DD.

Hurts Donut in Norman is open 24/7 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hurts Donut in Norman is open 24/7 as well.
    Can't wait to try these guys out! I've heard mixed reviews though

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Even Einstein Bagels are better, and I can't stand Einstein.
    Disagree strongly here... but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As to whether the donuts are made in the individual store, it depends on the market and the stores themselves -- and the local ownership.

I suspect in OKC most locations do not make their own and rather rely on a centralized facility. Makes sense when you have a decent number of stores in close proximity.
    The old locations in OKC make their own as they are individual franchises and I knew the daughter of the owner of the MWC location many years ago. The newer ones may have a mix of them as I believe part of the new franchise agreement is more centralized franchise ownership. The one closest to my house in far SE Aurora just opened up a few months ago and they make them in-store. The ones out at DIA are delivered in. There are some others around and most are in former restaurants withe more than enough room to make them in-store. If they were doing them at a central commissary and delivering them to stores I would think they would have much smaller buildings.

I did try a new "gourmet" donut store Glazed & Confused on the way to work one morning, it was good but not worth $7.00 for two donuts. I just prefer traditional donuts instead of all they specialty stuff they try to put on them now. I still prefer the local chain LaMarr's better.

I know everyone has different tastes on everything when it comes to food. But I LOVE Dunkin Donuts. The variety, almost always fresh, and tasty. (To me anyway.)

Dunkin Donuts is good stuff! Wish there was one around Mustang.

I thought I read a while back there were going to be 13 new locations added in the metro. Yukon/Mustang area would probably be part of that addition although I don't recall seeing any exact locations yet or even if this deal is still happening.

Two months later and yeah, what roci28 said...where are the Donuts?

It took almost a year from the announcement here in Denver to the time the first stores opened up. The second one in our area of Aurora opened up last week, the first one opened up a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    If you're up for a road trip, there is one Winchell's Donut House left located in Enid, OK.
    There's a Winchell's on S May just south of SW 59th.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    There's a Winchell's on S May just south of SW 59th.
    Sorry to disappoint, but that is Willy's Donut now.

You're lucky if you get fresh donuts. Most of the time it's the fresh ones Up near the front of the display with the old ones in the back where he gets them.

Dunkin is less about donuts than it is about coffee. I know major coffee snobs that all agree Dunkin's coffee is great, plus it's less than half the price of Starbucks or any local place. They are also usually a lot faster of a stop than traditional coffee shops, which is great for the morning and afternoon rushes.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but that is Willy's Donut now.
    Bummer. When did it change?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Bummer. When did it change?
    A few years ago. I loved Winchell's. Bummer is right!

Thread Information