Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Crest on Sooner and Covell

Default Re: Crest on Sooner and Covell?

Which movie theater was going to anchor Spring Creek? Which grocery store? Which movie theater?

I mean, the promises of Spring Creek sounded great, but I've seen other developments with a lot of these type of "built it and they will come" promises that never deliver. Some of those around the metro.

iPic cinemas was going to be the theatre. Grocery store I’m not sure about but I’d put my guess on either a Trader Joe’s, natural grocers, Whole Foods, or Sprouts. I’m sorta doubtful it would have been sprouts but it’s far enough away from the downtown Edmond location. Walmart and Target are too close.

^^ But that's where I think they didn't do themselves any favors.

A mixed-use development anchored by say a Trader Joe's with a specific theater which could be named is an easier sell than a mixed use development with a future to-be-named-grocery and an unnamed "boutique" theater. Since those aspects weren't "locked" in, what we were really talking about were apartments with some new retail (because we're so short on available retail space in Edmond, or even at that intersection), and a potential for a strong mixed use development, assuming the grocery and theater happened.

Also, they didn't really do a job of pushing these as high end apartments, which I think would have been more appropriate for the area, and by the park. They may have planned for them to be nicer, but it was never conveyed in their messaging if so.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    ^^ But that's where I think they didn't do themselves any favors.

A mixed-use development anchored by say a Trader Joe's with a specific theater which could be named is an easier sell than a mixed use development with a future to-be-named-grocery and an unnamed "boutique" theater.
    but that isn't really how development works .... companies don't lock themselves or their capital to "unapproved" projects ..

That’s not always how developments work. Some might be like that but not usually. I posted their website just look at some of their developments. I’m sure they are/were confident they could secure some tenants but I would think before than can happen you would need to promise the tenants this thing is getting built.

But anyways, water under the bridge now. I just hope the original proposal for the apartments between the hotel and showbiz doesn’t get downgraded to some gated suburban type complex.

They’re probably going to get started on the pad sites in front of the hotel this year. Crest is rumored to be starting soon. The city waiting on finishing the traffic signals at covell and I-35 ramps held back due to the supply chain thing. There’s something being built on covell east of I-35(not sure what it is).

Potentially starting this decade we know of is road improvements at Air Depot and Covell converting to a signalized intersection and widening Air Depot a half mile or so each direction. This will facilitate new traffic for the future high school.

Not sure what the status is with the apartments. Last I heard about them was back in 2015 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    but that isn't really how development works .... companies don't lock themselves or their capital to "unapproved" projects ..
    I recall some developments in LA being shown to the public for the first time with confirmed tenants but I guess that has to do with a proven market. The thing is I’m sure they had tenants lined up. Look at the income around the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I recall some developments in LA being shown to the public for the first time with confirmed tenants but I guess that has to do with a proven market. The thing is I’m sure they had tenants lined up. Look at the income around the area.
    The shops at Spring Creek (I think that's right) just across Bryant is half empty (if not more). Obviously, pandemic and all. But I don't think anything is a given at this point.

Right but this development would have been much different having a mixed use component that draws retailers to it versus what could arguably be called a glorified strip mall.

You don't do it with just general tenants , but I see it a lot with anchors on a development like this. You name one or two major tenant.

Of course, I come from a background where every shopping center we developed was built around an anchor tenent.

Maybe maybe not but I don’t think those who opposed it cared either way if tenants were announced or not.

Right but this development would have been much different having a mixed use component that draws retailers to it versus what could arguably be called a glorified strip mall.
    The problem is that the same could be said about the existing Spring Creek, so when you're asking the public to approve rezoning to double its size, it's reasonable that people might be a little suspicious of field of dream type promises.

Maybe maybe not but I don’t think those who opposed it cared either way if tenants were announced or not.
    Maybe not the core opposition, but there are a lot of voters who could have been persuaded one way or another...

Maybe not the core opposition, but there are a lot of voters who could have been persuaded one way or another...
    That’s a good point. The developer probably didn’t expect this to go the way it did.

That's another difficulty. It's easy to get people motivated to oppose something, especially if they think if affects them. But people typically aren't going to go around and knock-on doors, hang signs, and such in support of a development. So the developers have to be their own cheerleaders, and also rely on the local Chamber and such. Edmond doesn't have a local paper any longer, so nothing that will carry the water to promote these types of developments. Maybe someone could put together a pro-development group in Edmond to build some grass root support for some of the projects?

I seem to recall most of the city government supporting it. The at the time mayor Charles Lamb supported it and so did the chamber of commerce. I recall them actively engaging in combating against the campaign to shoot the development down.

Yeah I agree, POAG could have done a bit more to promote this.

Pardon my ignorance here but what is the Milhause development? Is that The Lark?

Pardon my ignorance here but what is the Milhause development? Is that The Lark?

https://agenda.edmondok.com:8086/doc...pt.%202021.pdf

Oh wow that is very exciting! Had no idea about that. I have been slacking in checking the city minutes I need to get back on the ball with that again.

I was excited about the 6 story parking garage that's part of that project, but only 48 spots on the first floor will be for public parking, from what I'm reading. I mean, that's fine, and some new parking is cool, but I'd love to see a fully public parking garage downtown.

I was excited about the 6 story parking garage that's part of that project, but only 48 spots on the first floor will be for public parking, from what I'm reading. I mean, that's fine, and some new parking is cool, but I'd love to see a fully public parking garage downtown.
    Edmond was planning a public garage downtown. I don’t know what the status is.

I know it was discussed, but did it every get approved or into the planning stage? I know they were considering the lot near the new police station at one point.

I haven’t kept up with the downtown developments. When Lamb was mayor they had indeed proposed it near the former police station along with a performing arts center. The police station was going to become the new city hall and the current city hall in the old church building would be demolished for structured parking garage IIRC. The performing arts center idea has been put on an indefinite hold if it’s not completely dead. I don’t think any of those things got past the studying phase.

I do seem to remember a city managers report within the last 6 months or so signaling the city still plans to develop the old police station lot as well as looking into offering incentives for a boutique hotel somewhere in downtown. They are still trying to get the downtown street lighting thing going.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/would-ban...223207110.html

Interesting article on the zoning debate.

Any updates on this? Seems to be a pretty strong need for a grocery store in this part of Edmond?

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Any updates on this? Seems to be a pretty strong need for a grocery store in this part of Edmond?
    last i heard they were waiting on steel

Thread Information