Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Crest on Sooner and Covell

Default Re: Crest on Sooner and Covell?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Im sure the city of Edmond has done a great job at making this a delayed and pain in the butt process for Crest.

The city has pumped nearly $20 million of TIF into this area and about all they have to show after 5 years in additional development is McDonalds and a Starbucks.
    Agreed that the City of Edmond isn't a friendly partner if you're a private developer (so much easier to dev in OKC or the West Side).

But I think the Nimbies / Karens are the biggest obstacle to increased CRE development in Edmond. You just can't build dense residential anywhere. Anything remotely dense gets protested or put up for a ballot measure. And the nice commercial stuff doesn't really work if all, or a majority, of the housing stock is SFR.

The City Council has figured out that density is badly needed, but the Nimbies just have too many weapons at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Agreed that the City of Edmond isn't a friendly partner if you're a private developer (so much easier to dev in OKC or the West Side).

But I think the Nimbies / Karens are the biggest obstacle to increased CRE development in Edmond. You just can't build dense residential anywhere. Anything remotely dense gets protested or put up for a ballot measure. And the nice commercial stuff doesn't really work if all, or a majority, of the housing stock is SFR.

The City Council has figured out that density is badly needed, but the Nimbies just have too many weapons at the moment.
    Just wait til the level of city services the Nimbies have gotten accustom too begin to fall more in line with other municipalities. If the citizens won’t allow the tax base to grow, then they need to keep their mouths shut when the services begin to slip here and there due to lack of proportionate funding.

^^^^ yep.

I don’t normally comment but the level of uninformed misinformation posted above is ridiculous.

I’ve lived all over the metro area including Midwest city, south OKC (hence the name), downtown, and now Edmond. Each place has its own characteristics that make it unique and in their own way desirable. Edmond is by far and away the nicest part of the city I have ever lived, and it’s not even close. It’s disappointing fellow citizens choose to use racist stereotypes like “Karen’s” and have no appreciation for the various features and different ways of life offered throughout OKC.

Crest chose not to build in East Edmond at the last minute. Instead they decided there dollars would be better spent attempting to drive out competition on the West side of OKC.

Additionally, there is a massive multi family development happening in downtown Edmond. Along with dense retail near the Jazz lab.

Finally, the “nimbies” pay the highest utility costs anywhere due to bad negotiations on the part of the city of Edmond.

It’s fine to have an opinion just make sure it’s an informed viewpoint. I love downtown OKC and I love Edmond.

It’s not ridiculous. It’s also perfectly fine to appreciate Edmond for what it is but criticize its negatives. I guess Edmond is a nicer than than most places in Oklahoma if that’s the standard we’re using which is pretty pathetic TBH. Put Edmond up against any other premier suburb in a major city in other states and it loses laughably.

I’m totally fine with criticizing the negatives of Edmond. You’ll get no argument from me for things like adding additional mixed used development near Hafer Park.

However, the critics in the last few posts aren’t stating any facts. Just wildly unfounded opinions and perpetuating stereotypes that I have honestly not encountered. Feel free to point out where I’m wrong…

As far as any other suburb I can’t comment based on only living in Oklahoma City. I’d be very interested to hear from you about places that you’ve lived and the reasons those suburbs appeal more to you than Edmond.

Other than some small scale developments downtown, every single major unique development that had a mixed-use/multi family development has been opposed. Coffee creek expansion, 18 on fink, spring creek expansion, new apartment complexes on danforth/I-35 and southwest Edmond, expansion of 1201 covell village, expansion of legend v apartments, etc I’m sure I’m forgetting several. The only exception albeit very small one is the new development at Fox lake that will be two or three stories(no residential) and honestly I’m shocked that one happened.

Those aren’t opinion those are facts. Look no further than Midtowner’s post on the spring creek expansion who is scared of multi family because of the perceived property valuation decline. It’s comical and yet still represents a lot of views. Congrats to him and others who support the expansion of Hafer park, which isn’t even that nice and needs upgrades. There’s also no solid plan or guidelines how the new park will be built or maintained. Those NIMBYs essentially used the ignorance of other citizens to bail them out because they don’t(or didn’t want to) have the money to prevent development. I guess already having one of the biggest parks in the city wasn’t good enough.

Getting back on topic with this development in this area, an 800 unit complex sitting on top of retail between Hilton Garden Inn and Showbiz has been proposed for almost a decade now with no movement. Every business I’ve seen that has been able to be built here has killed it so I’m surprised there hasn’t been more so far. I haven’t seen any formal opposition to anything here and honestly I thought the earlier post about the development here was a tad harsh but I know for a fact Edmond has a reputation amongst developers in the metro and it isn’t a good one.

I received an email sometime ago that POAG wouldn’t even consider building again in the entire state after the debacle about Edmond turning into Manhattan after the NIMBY freak out regarding the shoppes at spring creek which would have easily been the nicest shopping center in the entire state: https://www.poagllc.com/ that’s who we ran out.

What about the Milhaus development in downtown Edmond? I believe there is TIF approved and it’s over 200 units. I have heard no opposition to the multi-family proposals pertaining to this thread and the area near/around Showbiz. I was disappointed by the Hafer Park resistance and feel like the city lost out on that opportunity. However, I completely understand the pushback on the coffee creek golf course development.

I lived in Fairfax and heard nothing but positive things from everyone in that community about Crest coming into the area. Showbiz was welcomed with open arms and we love it being so close to our area now.

Like I said, any downtown development is small in scale and generally supported. The covell development was supported because there was demand for a movie theatre and conference hotel plus it was right on the highway and in an area that was fairly rural. Not too many people around to oppose it.

I understand what you’re saying though. We have seen some great progress in downtown. I’m sure the Covell thing will happen it’s just a matter of time. I really don’t know what the holdup is. The city of Edmond itself seems to be more or less pro development as they supported most of what I listed. It’s the mentality of too many residents and if that’s what they want then so be it.

I just feel it’s a matter of time before another community attracts a higher wealth enclave of residence similar to Edmond but with a more pro development mentality. It could be Yukon, could be Jones, could be Guthrie, could be Goldsby, there is no telling.

There was a Walmart Neighborhood Market that was proposed at Covell/Coltrane that was shut down. They would have funded the intersection improvements that the city currently can’t pay for and has it waiting. Alas many of the morons who shouted about that would likely have shopped there as well.

Those are great points.

I’m very interested to see what happens in Far East Edmond. I know the city has sent out several rounds of questionnaires about the type of development residents would like to see come to this part of Edmond. Like you mentioned the council seems to be very pro development and you have pockets of opposition.

Keep your eye on the Arcadia area of Edmond. I think there is a younger more pro-development mindset in that region. I think it could fit the mold of potential you mentioned at the end of your comment.

Yeah it’ll be interesting to watch the direction of east Edmond growth. Arcadia is growing as well and once they build the northern extension of the Kickapoo turnpike to connect to I-35 that should continue the growth NE which will be nice. They really need to get on the ball with a freeway around Edmond to connect with SH-74. Lots of really nice homes being built in south Logan county as well. I’m really curious what they’re going to build at Waterloo and I-35.

All of the homes being built in Edmond are great. Just need good commercial infill.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOKC View Post
    Crest chose not to build in East Edmond at the last minute. Instead they decided there dollars would be better spent attempting to drive out competition on the West side of OKC.

So are you saying the proposed Crest in East Edmond is completely dead? Or did it temporarily die a few years ago and now they are ready to build again?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I just feel it’s a matter of time before another community attracts a higher wealth enclave of residence similar to Edmond but with a more pro development mentality. It could be Yukon, could be Jones, could be Guthrie, could be Goldsby, there is no telling.
    It's gonna be Moore if the commuter rail line between Edmond and Norman ever gets built, calling it now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Heard from a pretty reliable source today that Crest is finally moving forward with their store at Covell and Sooner. Fingers crossed!!!
    it will start very soon .... they have been waiting on some building materials delay (i believe steel )

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Im sure the city of Edmond has done a great job at making this a delayed and pain in the butt process for Crest.

The city has pumped nearly $20 million of TIF into this area and about all they have to show after 5 years in additional development is McDonalds and a Starbucks.
    this project has been approved for a long time .. .this delay was first by choice of crest and now because of building materials ..

Yeah it’ll be interesting to watch the direction of east Edmond growth. Arcadia is growing as well and once they build the northern extension of the Kickapoo turnpike to connect to I-35 that should continue the growth NE which will be nice. They really need to get on the ball with a freeway around Edmond to connect with SH-74. Lots of really nice homes being built in south Logan county as well. I’m really curious what they’re going to build at Waterloo and I-35.

All of the homes being built in Edmond are great. Just need good commercial infill.
    Arcadia can't grow very much ... it is barely over 1 sq mile in size .. completely surrounded by Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    So are you saying the proposed Crest in East Edmond is completely dead? Or did it temporarily die a few years ago and now they are ready to build again?
    I was just referencing the delay from a couple years ago. I have not heard anything about the project being dead completely.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Arcadia can't grow very much ... it is barely over 1 sq mile in size .. completely surrounded by Edmond
    Edmond annexed a large portion of Arcadia, but most of the postal address in that area (Far East Edmond) are Arcadia. I believe Panda and I we're both discussing the area around Arcadia Lake, the round barn, etc...

Edmond annexed a large portion of Arcadia, but most of the postal address in that area (Far East Edmond) are Arcadia. I believe Panda and I we're both discussing the area around Arcadia Lake, the round barn, etc...
    arcadia wasn't an incorporated city until 1987 Edmond already completely surrounded arcadia prior to the 1980's ..

Other than some small scale developments downtown, every single major unique development that had a mixed-use/multi family development has been opposed. Coffee creek expansion, 18 on fink, spring creek expansion, new apartment complexes on danforth/I-35 and southwest Edmond, expansion of 1201 covell village, expansion of legend v apartments, etc I’m sure I’m forgetting several. The only exception albeit very small one is the new development at Fox lake that will be two or three stories(no residential) and honestly I’m shocked that one happened.

Those aren’t opinion those are facts. Look no further than Midtowner’s post on the spring creek expansion who is scared of multi family because of the perceived property valuation decline. It’s comical and yet still represents a lot of views. Congrats to him and others who support the expansion of Hafer park, which isn’t even that nice and needs upgrades. There’s also no solid plan or guidelines how the new park will be built or maintained. Those NIMBYs essentially used the ignorance of other citizens to bail them out because they don’t(or didn’t want to) have the money to prevent development. I guess already having one of the biggest parks in the city wasn’t good enough.

Getting back on topic with this development in this area, an 800 unit complex sitting on top of retail between Hilton Garden Inn and Showbiz has been proposed for almost a decade now with no movement. Every business I’ve seen that has been able to be built here has killed it so I’m surprised there hasn’t been more so far. I haven’t seen any formal opposition to anything here and honestly I thought the earlier post about the development here was a tad harsh but I know for a fact Edmond has a reputation amongst developers in the metro and it isn’t a good one.

I received an email sometime ago that POAG wouldn’t even consider building again in the entire state after the debacle about Edmond turning into Manhattan after the NIMBY freak out regarding the shoppes at spring creek which would have easily been the nicest shopping center in the entire state: https://www.poagllc.com/ that’s who we ran out.
    Very well said, PP. It's hard to believe that some folks are in denial of such obvious facts. Another example shown below.

https://www.stoppud.com/

I don’t normally comment but the level of uninformed misinformation posted above is ridiculous.

I’ve lived all over the metro area including Midwest city, south OKC (hence the name), downtown, and now Edmond. Each place has its own characteristics that make it unique and in their own way desirable. Edmond is by far and away the nicest part of the city I have ever lived, and it’s not even close. It’s disappointing fellow citizens choose to use racist stereotypes like “Karen’s” and have no appreciation for the various features and different ways of life offered throughout OKC.

Additionally, there is a massive multi family development happening in downtown Edmond. Along with dense retail near the Jazz lab.

Finally, the “nimbies” pay the highest utility costs anywhere due to bad negotiations on the part of the city of Edmond.

It’s fine to have an opinion just make sure it’s an informed viewpoint. I love downtown OKC and I love Edmond.
    Its not misinformation when you've experienced it. NIMBYs obviously are a well known part but the unknown difficulties, at least to the public, can also come from the onerous requirements from the city itself, many times just at the whim of city staff. Its pretty well known that, for multiple reasons, it can be very difficult and costly to develop in Edmond.

Its also great that stuff is happening downtown. I suspect the momentum is because like Covell & 35, the city is fully behind seeing development here, whether it makes sense or not, and that you have older smaller homes nearby with a less influential public to fight back on anything.

every single major unique development that had a mixed-use/multi family development has been opposed
    Well, to be accurate, every controversial project you've liked has been opposed. And there certainly haven't been a ton especially with that specific list of qualifications (mixed use, "unique", and multi-family). There are TONS of developments that happen all over Edmond and tons of new construction going on, and 90% of them we don't hear about and there's not much discussion. It's only the controversial ones which get lots of visibility. This is SOP anywhere, except places with no development standards or plans. Multi-use developments tend to be tricky, especially when the developers are trying to convert single family zoning. Zoning changes shouldn't be easy... otherwise, why do we bother with zoning at all?

For example, yeah, we will hear about certain apartments being opposed, but in that same time period another 2 or 3 were likely approved with no opposition. We certainly haven't been slow about building multi family developments all over town.

Also, sometimes projects don't always work in the first place someone wants to place them. I wasn't a fan at the 18 on park development, but I'm a big fan of the very similar development that's near the icehouse district (the Lark). Sometimes it's about the development being in the appropriate area.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Well, to be accurate, every controversial project you've liked has been opposed. And there certainly haven't been a ton especially with that specific list of qualifications (mixed use, "unique", and multi-family). There are TONS of developments that happen all over Edmond and tons of new construction going on, and 90% of them we don't hear about and there's not much discussion. It's only the controversial ones which get lots of visibility. This is SOP anywhere, except places with no development standards or plans. Multi-use developments tend to be tricky, especially when the developers are trying to convert single family zoning. Zoning changes shouldn't be easy... otherwise, why do we bother with zoning at all?

For example, yeah, we will hear about certain apartments being opposed, but in that same time period another 2 or 3 were likely approved with no opposition. We certainly haven't been slow about building multi family developments all over town.

Also, sometimes projects don't always work in the first place someone wants to place them. I wasn't a fan at the 18 on park development, but I'm a big fan of the very similar development that's near the icehouse district (the Lark). Sometimes it's about the development being in the appropriate area.
    Really? The only one I know of that MIGHT proceed is the downtown Milhaus project, which also includes TIF money for some reason. But I dont think there has been any other apartment complex bigger than like 40 units approved and built in Edmond in years. There was one recently that got push back at 192nd and May but that was OKC city limits. There was senior housing done on Bryant but thats not the same category. In fact, I think I've heard it mentioned that its been many years since any new multi family housing has been built. Theres a huge demand and no new supply. But of course many homeowners like it that way.

You're probably right in the over 40 unit qualification. Also, years becomes slippery since Covid has put such a pause on things for 3 years. But you are likely correct that it's been about a decade since a larger (over 40 unit) multi family development got built in Edmond proper. There have been quite a few smaller ones built in that time though. Also a few interesting ones, such that dense row houses/lofts type development on Fretz near 5th or so.

Of course, adding to that complexity is the reality that we've got lots of apartments built in places that would be considered Edmond by most folks and are Edmond schools and utilities, but aren't in proper city of Edmond.

And, I think there should be a qualification on opposition vs OPPOSITION. I mean, if folks think that developments should just be rubber stamped approved without any feedback or anyone voicing their opinions, then that is unrealistic. And, I'm willing to bet for any development project ever there is going to be someone who opposes it for some reason. But the major, formal, organized and effective opposition tends to be targeted at larger more controversial developments, and typically it involves zoning changes. I have no problem with folks pushing back when land next to theirs gets rezoned. I know I looked into the zoning around my neighborhood when I made a purchase and I would likely opposed most changes.

None of this is to say I agree with much of the opposition that happens. Spring Creek, for example, I was really hopeful would happen the way it was proposed. However, the developers certainly did no favors with lots of vague promises and no specifics. I was worried it could turn into another overhyped/overpromised project with lots of promises and lots of empty stores. We act like developers are infallible or don't make promises they can't keep, but they do, all the time.

Regardless, I'm never going to be upset with folks protecting their own interests and property. There's not much more 'Merican than that.

The developers went and talked to people and they wouldn’t listen. There wasn’t any “vague promises” made only a filed site plan and offers to make compromises and taking in public input. This is in no way shape or form an ounce of the developers fault here as they followed standard practice in every city. It’s the NIMBYs who just want to protect their little bubble.

Thread Information