Widgets Magazine
Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 95455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1610

Thread: Producers Coop

Default Re: Producers Coop

The use of the word "district" is not the primary point I was trying to make. I agree that there is demand in the core, it's a matter of where we should be focusing the demand. I would rather see the existing areas built out in interesting ways than some mammoth entity robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're free to have your own opinion, of course.

I’m just saying all of these services people want in the core so badly like a grocer would be a lot more plausible if we built the COOP to be car oriented with better pedestrian access than what is currently offered in the burbs. Then as time goes and other areas around the core are redeveloped into quality urban areas presumably a decade or more out from now we can come back and redeveloped the COOP site to be more urban.

This would be the absolute perfect place for an IKEA, Lowes or Home Depot, Walmart Super center, and/or a Target. Anyone of those places would murk it here but likely won’t come without ample parking. One of the biggest complaints on this forum about the core is lack of services. Here is the solution.

3. Default Re: Producers Coop

Several groups have looked at the site for projects. The cost of the dirt is just too high for now.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Several groups have looked at the site for projects. The cost of the dirt is just too high for now.
    True but maybe it’s because of the expectations for the development. Many, at least here, want this to be a Wheeler District 2.0. That just isn’t feasible or it would have been done already given the prime location.

PluPan, it might surprise you that I agree with you on IKEA. There is an example of an urban IKEA in St. Louis that feeds off all the apartments and condos in the area. The one here has a parking garage and so they can be built in a way that both accommodates cars and still exist in an urban setting. There are also examples of urban Targets in downtowns across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    PluPan, it might surprise you that I agree with you on IKEA. There is an example of an urban IKEA in St. Louis that feeds off all the apartments and condos in the area. The one here has a parking garage and so they can be built in a way that both accommodates cars and still exist in an urban setting. There are also examples of urban Targets in downtowns across the country.
    Yep. Here is it’s newest Austrian store: https://youtube.com/shorts/GGzs8QEczzQ?feature=share

Maybe if the city committed to fund half of a streetcar extension and the developer pays the other half it could be a boon for the area.

That Austrian store...wow.

Of course the cynic in me says "they'll never build anything like that in OKC." But OKC is in a unique position with respect to IKEA that most of the bigger cities in the U.S. already have one so if they are debuting a new model, we could be a test market.

I don't want to hijack this into an IKEA discussion. More to the point of the thread, this is why, in my opinion, we are better off leaving that land open for now. The world is going to be changing a lot in the next 10-20 years. We don't want to take up space with an aging paradigm when there are places we can develop in the meantime. Maybe by 2035-2040, there will have been enough of a revolution in the way people shop, live, and work so that what can be built in that space is cutting edge.

Nm

Blog Entries

I'd like to propose they just go ahead and build those grid connected streets and let the chips fall where they may structure/tenant wise.

10. Default Re: Producers Coop

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'd like to propose they just go ahead and build those grid connected streets and let the chips fall where they may structure/tenant wise.
    But you dont get any benefit from cutting the space up like that. But you do lose the benefit of having the larger swath of land available for a large project. Even more so than the Myriad plot. There's not actual benefit to restoring that grid pattern but a heck of a lot lost. Speculative construction on the city's dime (streets) is more than just a road. It's drainage, utilities get involved. Once its there, its not coming out and you cant just built a stadium (for example) on top of it.

Hopefully this doesn't end up being another downtown park. We have enough parks downtown.

12. Default Re: Producers Coop

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't end up being another downtown park. We have enough parks downtown.
    Totally agree. Myriad Botanical Gardens, Scissortail Park, Bicentennial Park, Kerr Park, on and on.

maybe we could have a few more small scale pocket parks but yes, no more LARGE scale parks.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Post Re: Producers Coop

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Totally agree. Myriad Botanical Gardens, Scissortail Park, Bicentennial Park, Kerr Park, on and on.

maybe we could have a few more small scale pocket parks but yes, no more LARGE scale parks.
    The MAPS 4 parks package allocates $140 million towards a transformation of our city's parks system. First, $63 million is to upgrade every municipal neighborhood and community park outside of the central business district. Improvements will be based on need and neighborhood feedback.--City of Oklahoma City website.

It still feels like this is just going to end up being the location of the MAPS 4 Stadium, assuming the Energy come back and it does ultimately get built.

I had a dream last night, I saw The Cordish Companies turned this site into this retail park:

https://www.archdaily.com/966837/oct...m=projects_tab

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    I had a dream last night, I saw The Cordish Companies turned this site into this retail park:

https://www.archdaily.com/966837/oct...m=projects_tab
    That's amazing! Sorry you had to wake up lol

17. Default Re: Producers Coop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-29 102306.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	17672There's work being done just south of OKC Boulevard per the cam on top of the climbing gym. Anybody know what's going on? Looks significant.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    There's work being done just south of OKC Boulevard per the cam on top of the climbing gym. Anybody know what's going on? Looks significant.
    It's the old lumberyard property that is owned by Fred Mazaheri.

Looks like they are just grading for parking. There haven't been any design permits filed.

Lightbulb Re: Producers Coop

Maybe this comes to mind because i was just at the state fair and it was so different out there there this year, it was hard to find my way around the grounds.
    So many of the old land marks are gone now. One of them i still miss is the grand stands and race track. Are there any plans to replace this venue? No more do we hear
    the cars racing round the track at my house on a fri or sat night, It was something the whole family could go to and have fun together at . There were also other events
    held there like monster trucks, tractor pulls,show cars and good size concerts ect....If something could be put in the coop that could hold the space for large scale development later that wouldn't be to expensive to put in or take out that could be used for many different kinds of events may be a new grandstand and race track could work.
    Not saying a NASCAR scale track but a track we could be proud of, and bring people in from all over the US,and have lots of fun at. Racing is one of the largest spectator sports
    in the USA. just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by sirocco View Post
    Maybe this comes to mind because i was just at the state fair and it was so different out there there this year, it was hard to find my way around the grounds.
    So many of the old land marks are gone now. One of them i still miss is the grand stands and race track. Are there any plans to replace this venue? No more do we hear
    the cars racing round the track at my house on a fri or sat night, It was something the whole family could go to and have fun together at . There were also other events
    held there like monster trucks, tractor pulls,show cars and good size concerts ect....If something could be put in the coop that could hold the space for large scale development later that wouldn't be to expensive to put in or take out that could be used for many different kinds of events may be a new grandstand and race track could work.
    Not saying a NASCAR scale track but a track we could be proud of, and bring people in from all over the US,and have lots of fun at. Racing is one of the largest spectator sports
    in the USA. just a thought
    I second this motion. The louder the better. The poshness of the area should be diversified. I think 10 dollar cocktails by the canal can and should coexist with 2 dollar Keystone light cans at the track. OKC can and should do both.

Quote Originally Posted by sirocco View Post
    ...No more do we hear the cars racing round the track at my house on a fri or sat night...
    I get to hear the after market exhausts of both speeding, hot rodders and wanna be super bike champions who use the NW Expressway and I-44 as their personal drag strip/racetrack particularly during the overnight hours. It is rather annoying.

22. Default Re: Producers Coop

Pete, correct me if I'm wrong but could they be developing this parking area due to the upcoming start of the Dream development across the OKC Blvd? I'm thinking they will take out a lot of parking during construction, which this new lot will make up for.

If this is the case then not only am I all for the new temporary parking but also I'm excited about the start of the new development.

^

They are illegally trying to cash in on parking overflow from Bricktown and for Thunder games.

City ordinance does not allow parking on anything but solid (paved) surfaces. The owners are just speculators sitting on property and trying to cash in through improper parking.

This area they are grading and part of SE 3rd used to be free parking for thunder games/thunder alley back in 2010-2012 time. Kind of ironic.

So, we've got OKANA, Chisholm Creek, Oak and The Half signing deal after deal.

And here sits the coop that was available before just about all of them, just a bunch of dirt and weeds.

I'm pretty sure the stadium is going to OKANA, and we already know the aquarium started looking at the coop but will also be going to OKANA.

This group has really let everyone and everything pass them by. Maybe they should give a big chunk of property to IKEA just to get something going here. At this point, they need to do something. They seem to be in competition with Strawberry Fields to have the least forward momentum.

Thread Information