Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617

Thread: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Unfortunate, sign of the times.

Given the current climate and overall demand of in-store shopping at malls, towns the size of OKC, Tulsa, etc appear to be able to support one large healthy mall in the market. OKC has Penn Square, Tulsa has Woodland Hills. Both owned by Simon.

Quail Springs is going through a re-branding with the aquarium and gaming/entertainment center being built, and a major fitness center replacing one of the anchors a few years back (Macy's to Lifetime Fitness). While the mall is still healthy, it's not as much a shopping destination as entertainment center.

Promenade has not been able to evolve as stores have closed.

From a location and age stand point, Promenade has more in common with Penn Square with both originally being outdoor shopping centers and having unique layouts and closer to the core of the city.
    Woodland Hills was built a few years before Quail Springs Mall and has a similar racetrack layout and surrounding businesses on 71st Street in Tulsa mirror Memorial Road.

Then OKC and Tulsa both have two repurposed malls. Eastland Mall in far east Tulsa was rebranded into an office complex/call center as Eastgate Metroplex in the early 2000's. Crossroads/Plaza Mayor was to be similar to La Gran Plaza in Fort Worth, but ultimately closed October 2017.
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the current trend in shopping malls is open air, pedestrian walkway, fountians, etc. and that Penn Square was open air back in the 80's? They enclosed it all to keep up with the mall trend back then.
    Plus ca change...

2. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

I wish someone would convert Shepherd Mall into some sort of mixed use development. Tear down the parts between the old department stores and replace with outdoor lifestyle center -type retail and apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It looks like there is somehow still a KMart out in Clinton lol
    It keeps Wal-Mart away.

4. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

I've seen 3 recent articles about Amazon buying out Penny's. It's been written happening both before or after bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I've seen 3 recent articles about Amazon buying out Penny's. It's been written happening both before or after bankruptcy.
    Curious...What's the intended purpose of Amazon buying JCP? Would the stores continue as retail? Specialize in selling Amazon branded products? Smaller distribution warehouses for same day delivery?

Unfortunate, sign of the times.

Given the current climate and overall demand of in-store shopping at malls, towns the size of OKC, Tulsa, etc appear to be able to support one large healthy mall in the market. OKC has Penn Square, Tulsa has Woodland Hills. Both owned by Simon.

Quail Springs is going through a re-branding with the aquarium and gaming/entertainment center being built, and a major fitness center replacing one of the anchors a few years back (Macy's to Lifetime Fitness). While the mall is still healthy, it's not as much a shopping destination as entertainment center.

Promenade has not been able to evolve as stores have closed.

From a location and age stand point, Promenade has more in common with Penn Square with both originally being outdoor shopping centers and having unique layouts and closer to the core of the city.
    Woodland Hills was built a few years before Quail Springs Mall and has a similar racetrack layout and surrounding businesses on 71st Street in Tulsa mirror Memorial Road.

Then OKC and Tulsa both have two repurposed malls. Eastland Mall in far east Tulsa was rebranded into an office complex/call center as Eastgate Metroplex in the early 2000's. Crossroads/Plaza Mayor was to be similar to La Gran Plaza in Fort Worth, but ultimately closed October 2017.
    I completely forgot about Woodland Hills, I thought that was the mall you were talking about, my mistake! Woodland Hills mall is doing well, correct?

7. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Curious...What's the intended purpose of Amazon buying JCP? Would the stores continue as retail? Specialize in selling Amazon branded products? Smaller distribution warehouses for same day delivery?
    I would imagine all of the above.

Woodland is probably the second healthiest mall in Oklahoma. They did lose Sears, but an H and M is coming later this year.

Just read on CNN that the JCP stores in Enid, McAlester, Midwest City, Shawnee, Muskogee, and the store at Promenade will close.

5 years ago, I begged for the JCP in Penn Square to close, so Nordstrom could take its place (r so the mall could expand). But now, I don't think many department stores are expanding.

Here is the CNN article mentioned above:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/busin...rus/index.html

I'd suspect a large reason would be their brands. Arizona, St John's Bay and a bunch of others I can't remember. Amazon has been expanding their house brands.

Penney's closing 154 stores this summer, including:

Oklahoma:
    Oakwood Mall, in Enid
    Tandy Town Shopping Center, in McAlester
    Town Center Plaza, in Midwest City
    Arrowhead Mall, in Muskogee
    Shawnee Mall, in Shawnee
    Tulsa Promenade, in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Penney's closing 154 stores this summer, including:

Oklahoma:
    Oakwood Mall, in Enid
    Tandy Town Shopping Center, in McAlester
    Town Center Plaza, in Midwest City
    Arrowhead Mall, in Muskogee
    Shawnee Mall, in Shawnee
    Tulsa Promenade, in Tulsa
    I am not really surprised, I think they will do better as a stand alone, we have JcPenny's in Moore as stand alone and it seems to be doing well

Surprised the Ardmore location survived.

15. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

I'd like to say that i'm annoyed about the MWC one but with Kohls just a few stores down in the same shopping center, it's been on shaky ground since it opened. And more often than not, i'm not able to find something i like there compared to going to Target or Kohls. The brands they have just haven't been keeping up. They have the old lady patrol down, but that's a shrinking market ya'll.

Stinks, since MWC won't be able to fill that anytime soon.

The plot thickens:

J.C. Penney has reached a tentative deal to sell its business and stores to a group of mall owners and lenders in a move that would save the department store chain from liquidation.

The retailer disclosed Wednesday during a bankruptcy hearing that it had struck the deal with Simon Property Group, Brookfield Property Group and a group of bankruptcy lenders.

The deal is expected to save more than 600 stores and 70,000 jobs. The company has separately announced plans to liquidate 242 locations.
    https://www.indystar.com/story/money...cVemcB2eQgzgQc

18. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Also buying Brooks Brothers, Forever 21 and Lucky Jeans.

Beats not getting paid rent and having empty spaces.

https://bestlifeonline.com/news-kmart-closing-stores/. It's really sad how Kmart went from being the 3rd largest big box retailer to almost nothing. Eddie Lampert was the worst thing to happen not only to Sears and Kmart but Brick and mortar retail

Thread Information