Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

How many lives does this cat have? Let it die a merciful death already.

I know, I know. "But what about those 50,000 people!". They need to be looking already, the writing has been on the wall a looooong time.

https://kfor.com/2019/01/08/sears-re...y-in-business/

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    And the winner is SEARS.
    Sears plans to shutter business as Chairman Eddie Lampert's bid fails
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/06/sear...iquidate-.html
    "Never mind"- Emily Latella
    Apparently the link was updated 3 hours after my initial post.

3. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Several talking business heads give JC Penneys a year unless something drastic happens.

The "other" Sears may not make it once the original Sears finally goes under.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/busin...tcy/index.html

Oh good. The slow, painful death continues.

Why does this guy like losing money? Is this a money laundry operation or is he just stubborn?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Why does this guy like losing money? Is this a money laundry operation or is he just stubborn?
    When it isn't your money, it isn't your problem. The real question is what is wrong with the idiots who keep shoveling money at him.

Sears(and KMart) closing more stores. No Oklahoma stores affected.

https://searsholdings.com/docs/11071...osing_list.pdf

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Sears(and KMart) closing more stores. No Oklahoma stores affected.

https://searsholdings.com/docs/11071...osing_list.pdf
    Are there any stores left?

It looks like there is somehow still a KMart out in Clinton lol

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It looks like there is somehow still a KMart out in Clinton lol
    It is practically a captive market for Clinton and a couple towns north and south of it.

Given how there is increasingly only two clusters, one in California and on in the north east, it seems they will likely abandon the few left in the plains, rockies & south soon. Probably replaced by a super center eventually.

The hometown store at Quail Springs store closed. They reabsorbed them back into the company and immediately started closing those also.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It is practically a captive market for Clinton and a couple towns north and south of it.

Given how there is increasingly only two clusters, one in California and on in the north east, it seems they will likely abandon the few left in the plains, rockies & south soon. Probably replaced by a super center eventually.
    Wow, I really would have thought that Clinton would have a Wal-Mart. It seems weird that they don't, as their population is barely smaller than Weatherford or Elk City.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Several talking business heads give JC Penneys a year unless something drastic happens.
    JC Penney finally declares bankruptcy Friday. I wonder if JC Penney in Penn Square will close.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...11/3057838001/

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    JC Penney finally declares bankruptcy Friday. I wonder if JC Penney in Penn Square will close.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...11/3057838001/
    JCPenney has already closed their stores in smaller communities in the state (Bartlesville, Ponca City, Stillwater). I believe Ardmore, and Enid are still holding on. They may be next in the closures since they are outlier stores in smaller communities.

Tulsa Metro JCP Stores: Owasso, Promenade Mall, and Woodland Hills. - Out of these Promenade seems the most likely to close. Owasso is a fairly new store, and Woodland Hills is the flagship mall of Tulsa Metro.

Then in OKC Metro for JCP you have Quail Springs, Penn Square, Midwest City Town Center, Shops at Moore, Norman Sooner Mall, and Shawnee Mall. If I had to guess, Shawnee and Norman would go before Quail or Penn. Penn is OKC's flagship mall, and Quail is going through a refresh with the large arcade and aquarium going in.

Not sure of the traffic, but the stand alone stores in Midwest City or Moore may also go if there is a buyer that would want to go into those centers. Given the current state of things, there may be no buyers, but I would guess those are easier to fill than two story mall anchors.

Promenade JCP is closing, it was announced a few months ago IIRC.

Not surprised given that Tulsa Promenade Mall is doing very poorly financially.

I worked at the Ardmore penney's after school several years ago. Outside of Christmas and tax-free weekend, the only people keeping that store alive were elderly women. Didn't feel like a great long-term strategy then, or now.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    JCPenney has already closed their stores in smaller communities in the state (Bartlesville, Ponca City, Stillwater). I believe Ardmore, and Enid are still holding on. They may be next in the closures since they are outlier stores in smaller communities.

Tulsa Metro JCP Stores: Owasso, Promenade Mall, and Woodland Hills. - Out of these Promenade seems the most likely to close. Owasso is a fairly new store, and Woodland Hills is the flagship mall of Tulsa Metro.

Then in OKC Metro for JCP you have Quail Springs, Penn Square, Midwest City Town Center, Shops at Moore, Norman Sooner Mall, and Shawnee Mall. If I had to guess, Shawnee and Norman would go before Quail or Penn. Penn is OKC's flagship mall, and Quail is going through a refresh with the large arcade and aquarium going in.

Not sure of the traffic, but the stand alone stores in Midwest City or Moore may also go if there is a buyer that would want to go into those centers. Given the current state of things, there may be no buyers, but I would guess those are easier to fill than two story mall anchors.

Someone would be smart to buy that spot JC Pennys is in at MWC. As long as the right thing goes in that area is insanely busy all the time.

Unrelated or maybe related but Neiman Marcus isn't doing too well either and they filed for bankruptcy recently

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Unrelated or maybe related but Neiman Marcus isn't doing too well either and they filed for bankruptcy recently
    Nordstrom is also closing 16 or so stores. ranted, their online shopping is top-notch, as are their sales they have online.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Nordstrom is also closing 16 or so stores. ranted, their online shopping is top-notch, as are their sales they have online.
    Has the Nordstrom Rack near Penn Square Mall been re-opened yet? I wonder how many of those stores might close, too?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Not surprised given that Tulsa Promenade Mall is doing very poorly financially.
    What is the reason? I have not been to Promenade Mall in years but from what I remember, it was a really nice mall

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    What is the reason? I have not been to Promenade Mall in years but from what I remember, it was a really nice mall
    Unfortunate, sign of the times.

Given the current climate and overall demand of in-store shopping at malls, towns the size of OKC, Tulsa, etc appear to be able to support one large healthy mall in the market. OKC has Penn Square, Tulsa has Woodland Hills. Both owned by Simon.

Quail Springs is going through a re-branding with the aquarium and gaming/entertainment center being built, and a major fitness center replacing one of the anchors a few years back (Macy's to Lifetime Fitness). While the mall is still healthy, it's not as much a shopping destination as entertainment center.

Promenade has not been able to evolve as stores have closed.

From a location and age stand point, Promenade has more in common with Penn Square with both originally being outdoor shopping centers and having unique layouts and closer to the core of the city.
    Woodland Hills was built a few years before Quail Springs Mall and has a similar racetrack layout and surrounding businesses on 71st Street in Tulsa mirror Memorial Road.

Then OKC and Tulsa both have two repurposed malls. Eastland Mall in far east Tulsa was rebranded into an office complex/call center as Eastgate Metroplex in the early 2000's. Crossroads/Plaza Mayor was to be similar to La Gran Plaza in Fort Worth, but ultimately closed October 2017.

Thread Information