Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Most of the people working in retail aren't doing it by choice
    I'm sure that's true for many but I doubt it is true for "most". Do you have evidence to support that?

You could probably say that about a large number of professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Most of the people working in retail aren't doing it by choice, A alot of them are women that are trying to provide a second income for the family or its part time. If retail goes away where does this work go? What takes its place?

I spent 8 years in the retail world. I have been out of it for almost six years now. The employees are about the same as what they were back then. The majority of the people working there want to be there. Retail is one of a few jobs that offers flexible scheduling. You can take off pretty much anytime you want outside of the holiday shopping season. Working the holidays are not to bad if you can stomach the crowds and the long hours. It's about the only time of year you can actually get overtime. The rest of the year they send you home the minute you start creeping past the 40th hour of the work week.

During my time the company I worked for employed mainly students with a mix of retirees, parents who wanted to be home by the time school let out and people bringing a secondary income. The majority of retail jobs only offer full time to supervisors, managers, laborers (installers, delivery, stock crew). You can also make a pretty good income in store support (IT, Building Maintenance, HR, Distrubution) The only people who had the worst jobs in my opinons was the managers. If the store had a bad year, they were usually let go regardless of rather or not their performance had anything to do with the sales numbers or the quality of the stores operations. We were lucky if we had the same management team from one year to the next. The good thing for retail managers is that once you get enough experience it's easy move on to another company even if your not so great at your job. For the workers they can move from one company to another just like the managers do provided they don't do something stupid like steal from the company or get caught doing something on the job you know you shouldn't do.

Retail is like every other job it can be a dead end if you let be a dead end. We all work around people that have been with the company for years. Yet they don't move up. That's usually because of job performance, attitude, a lack of motivation to want something more or they really like what they are doing (rare). Dead end jobs exist because an employee is not challenging themselves to climb the company ladder or find work elsewhere. If you work the same postion for more than a few years you have to ask yourself "Is this what I want to do, am I happy?" If the answer is "NO". It's time to go to school, freshen up the resume and start looking for something else.

I think the article is exaggerating a bit just like all the articles predicting the death of the PC. There were similar articles back in 2009 during the last wave of retail closings. Most of the mentioned closings can be traced back to bad business decisions or changing trends. Teen fashion is a big one. How are stores like American Eagle and Abercrombie & Fitch going to stay relevant when the generation that made them is now in their late 20s and their brand isn't cool to today's teens? Most business being pushed out by ecommerce already have been ie borders, circuit city, etc.

There is a Hometown Sears in Edmond at the corner of 33rd & Broadway. The store is privately owned and focuses mainly on tools, lawn and garden and appliances. No clothing. What's funny is that the "hometown" concept is nothing new as there used to be hundreds of Sears catalog stores in small towns that stocked only the items metoned above, but also automotive products and some had tire centers attached as well.

For a long time I had a shop full of Craftsman tools at home and also many at work.I still have a lot, but I stopped buying Craftsman a long time ago. What is sold now is made in China junk and Craftsman in name only. From my perspective, their tool line really started going downhill after Kmart took over.

A 'tsunami' of store closings expected to hit retail
    A 'tsunami' of store closings expected to hit retail

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Was my link broken?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Was my link broken?
    Yours still worked for me, maybe it was a like since those do not seem to be on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Was my link broken?
    Ooops, sorry. Anyhow, it was good enough for people to read twice.

Anecdotal and very frustrating (and long) story...

Need a microwave, and would like to replace my Kenmore with another Kenmore (trying to find the same but newer model since it's a built-in).

Go online and see that my nearest Edmond Sears has"3 in stock."

Awesome. This whole endeavor can be fixed in under an hour!

Go to the store. I tell the man what I need to pick up. He checks his computer then disappears to the back for a few minutes, but returns empty handed. None in stock. Evidently, their online inventory is "not always accurate." I ask if he can check the two other metro stores to see if they have them in stock.

"No, we cant, we're independently owned and have no access to the other stores' inventories."

He can order one for me and have it in a couple days, but I have to use a Sears credit card for special orders. No thanks (I haven't had a Sears credit card in 20 years).

Back home online. Sears on the south side and MWC both show the microwaves in stock (two and three respectively). No fool, I'm calling ahead to see if they have one before I trudge across town. I choose the south side location because going to Heritage Park Mall just makes me sad. Call the Sears and get a typical menu based system, choose "appliances" and then "microwaves and other smaller appliances" and the phone begins to ring, and ring, and ring...

"Menswear, can I help you?"

"Um, yeah, I'd like to speak to someone about a microwave."

"Hold on a sec..."

Ring, ring, ring, ring...

Different voice "Menswear, may I help you?"

"Um, yeah, I'd like to speak to someone about a microwave, but evidently there's nobody over there picking up the phone."

"Sorry, hold on, I'll get somebody for you."

On hold. After five minutes, I hang up.

Back online to get the MWC store number. Same menu, same choices, ring ring ring...

"Sears, can I help you?"

"Yes, I need to see if you have a microwave in stock. I have the model number and your online..."

"Hold on, I'll send you to appliances."

Hold, hold, hold, hold, hold. Hang up, dial back and ask for "manager" at the prompt. Ring, ring, ring...

"Sears, may I help you?"

"Yes, I was just on hold for about ten minutes with no answer. I just need to see if you have a microwave in stock. I have the model number and your online system says you have three of them."

"Sorry about that, what's the model number, and I'll check for you."

"Great, thanks. The model number is..."

"Please hold, I'll check to make sure we have it."

At this point, I'm invested, and morbid curiosity keeps me on hold for 10 minutes before somebody picks up the phone.

"Hello? Can I help you?"

Exasperation, explain, explain, explain...

"Sorry, let me check."

"Thanks."

Less than a minute later...

"Yes, we have them in stock."

"Great. I'll be right over."

Jump in the truck and head to what used to be a decent little mall where I spent hundreds of dollars in quarters at the Aladdin's Castle arcade, but is now a sad ghost town. Park right up front and charge into the store and head to appliances. I find a young man hiding in the aisles and look at him until he speaks.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes! I'm here to pick up a microwave."

"Did you pre order it?"

"No, but I called ahead, and you said you had it in stock. Here's the model number."

I hand him a printout showing all the data, his store, and '3 in stock' highlighted. He turns to his computer and enters an impossibly long string of commands.

"Yeah, we're supposed to have them in stock, but these computers aren't always accurate. Lemme call the back."

Ring, ring, ring... "I need you to see if we have a microwave. The model is ... Thanks."

Hangs up the phone.

"He's going to check and call me back."

Wait, wait, wait. Watch another couple stand two feet from my salesman with a hopeful look on their faces. No love, he's helping me, and evidently cannot address them without breaking his concentration on the un ringing phone. Eventually the couple breaks in and asks for assistance.

"Yeah, like I said, we don't have that model in stock (referring to an item in that day's sale paper), but I can order one for you..."

Ring, ring, ring...

"Yeah? Okay, thanks."

Hang up.

"Yes, we have one in stock. Would you like it?"

"Um, yes."

Transaction completed after turning down, three, two, and one year service contracts.

"Do you know where customer pick up is?"

"Yes, I'm parked there."

Skip over to customer pick up and after finding somebody to help me, I pick up my microwave.

Personally, I don't see how Sears has stayed in business this long.

ThomPaine, fwiw, that experience, quite sadly, is not one unique to dealing with Sears. What passes for customer service these days in way too many businesses is quite appaling, particularly to those old enough to remember when there was not a pandemic of chronic GAD deficiency in retail and food service.

It would be a far better world if there were far more give a damn enzymes than whatever dude enzymes in most bodies.

In Austin we typically went to Lowe's, Home Depot or Conn's for appliances, up here in Denver there are a few appliance only stores (Appliance Factory Outlet where we bought our new washer/dryer for the new house, Specialty Appliance). We usually go look at the Sears Outlet store but rarely find anything there and even less help.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    ThomPaine, fwiw, that experience, quite sadly, is not one unique to dealing with Sears. What passes for customer service these days in way too many businesses is quite appaling, particularly to those old enough to remember when there was not a pandemic of chronic GAD deficiency in retail and food service.

It would be a far better world if there were far more give a damn enzymes than whatever dude enzymes in most bodies.
    While I don't doubt that there are sometimes issues with the design of inventory tracking systems. Most of the time I have noticed a store can not track items, it goes back to how well the individual store is managed. The items in store may have just been thrown a random spot to leave early than finding the proper place, this also goes along with how often they inventory a store.

From what I read over the last 3 years about Sears was that it was bought out to be stripped down and sold off but the economy was too bad for them to make any money selling off the commercial buildings it owns so they are keeping it going until the commercial real estate improves. As long as George Soros own's any stock in J.C. Penney I hope they go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Sears, definitely. It's a relic of the past along the lines of Montgomery Ward. I disagree about department stores going the way of the dodo though. High-end ones like Nordstrom, Saks, and Neiman Marcus are doing well and I am pretty sure Macy's and Dillard's are doing well also. Another one that is doing pretty well is Belk, which doesn't have a presence in OKC but is every bit as high-profile as Macy's and Dillard's in malls in the Southeastern US.
    I'm not surprised that Belk is doing well. The Belk store in Stillwater is much more impressive than JCPenney.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post

You beat me to it, Kevin. While this is certainly nothing less than a suitable indictment of Sears, it rings all too true of many if not most other retailers these days. I loathe, loathe, loathe trying to deal with anyone on the phone these days. It borders on an exercise in futility.

^

Remember, there are still places that provide great customer service, but they also tend to charge a bit more.

The relative death of customer service is due to consumers actively choosing lower prices as a higher priority. Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's, for example, offer service that will almost boggle your mind.

As an example, I was looking at dress shirts in Nordies and one of their fantastic sales assistants was extremely helpful. She pointed out some nice French-cuff shirts and I mentioned I had bought some previously but didn't like the way they fit. She asked, "What can we do for you in that regard?" I told her that I had already had them laundered and starched a couple of times and she asked again, "What would you like to do?" I told her I would prefer to return them but realized that wasn't possible and she said it was indeed possible, even without a receipt. Subsequently, I returned them for a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Remember, there are still places that provide great customer service, but they also tend to charge a bit more.

The relative death of customer service is due to consumers actively choosing lower prices as a higher priority. Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's, for example, offer service that will almost boggle your mind.

As an example, I was looking at dress shirts in Nordies and one of their fantastic sales assistants was extremely helpful. She pointed out some nice French-cuff shirts and I mentioned I had bought some previously but didn't like the way they fit. She asked, "What can we do for you in that regard?" I told her that I had already had them laundered and starched a couple of times and she asked again, "What would you like to do?" I told her I would prefer to return them but realized that wasn't possible and she said it was indeed possible, even without a receipt. Subsequently, I returned them for a full refund.
    I agree. The only reason I went to Sears was because I wanted a nearly exact replacement. Had I realized that Whirlpool and Kenmore are now the same (usually) I probably could have gone somewhere else!

I am willing to pay a bit more for service, back before I outgrew the clothing at Harold's I shopped there a bunch. Now I wear regular size pants but larger shirts and jackets so I end up shopping in different departments. Most of the time I shop in Dillard's and Casual Male XL/Destination XL. Both seem to offer pretty good service.

Sears: 'Burning cash,' closing stores - May. 15, 2014

Looking like Sears will die first. I imagine all of its big department stores will close in a couple of years as they try to survive on their smaller concept.

There is only one left in the metro these days isn't there?

Sears stores these days are ghost towns that are dirty, poorly lit, understaffed, and have nothing that I couldn't get somewhere else. It's almost depressing walking through them. Kind of a trip back to the 1980s but not in a positive way. I doubt it will be very missed.

Sears stores these days are ghost towns that are dirty, poorly lit, understaffed, and have nothing that I couldn't get somewhere else. It's almost depressing walking through them. Kind of a trip back to the 1980s but not in a positive way. I doubt it will be very missed.
    our family has always preferred to buy our tools from sears, because the craftsman have a lifetime warranty and sears will replace them for free if they break, no questions asked. my father in law builds classic cars, remodels houses, etc and he would choose craftsman over anything else. He inherited his fathers tools when he passed and when theyve broken, sears has never questioned him when hes gone to get a replacement and never charged him for a replacement. i was in there recently and the store was actually very busy in the tools and electronics departments.

im sad to see them shutting down!

The Sears website shows TWO stores in OKC: Heritage Park Mall in MWC and S. Western.
    There is NO indication that either one of those two stores are closing, as Sears has not announced which 100 of its stores it is closing.

Quote Originally Posted by seaofchange View Post
    our family has always preferred to buy our tools from sears, because the craftsman have a lifetime warranty and sears will replace them for free if they break, no questions asked. my father in law builds classic cars, remodels houses, etc and he would choose craftsman over anything else. He inherited his fathers tools when he passed and when theyve broken, sears has never questioned him when hes gone to get a replacement and never charged him for a replacement. i was in there recently and the store was actually very busy in the tools and electronics departments.

im sad to see them shutting down!
    The sad thing about this post is that it reflects the way Sears and Craftsman used to be revered. Older, classic Craftsman tools are collectible classics, but today's are latter-day junk. I had a small ratchet wrench that would no longer reverse direction, so I went by to get my Craftsman replacement. The replacement was a mess - the switch reverser was a flimsy plastic switch and the guts felt like the thing would fly apart when used for much of anything practical.

You can also get Craftsman at ACE Hardware stores now. I don't know if they provide a lifetime warranty.

Norman has a Sears at Sooner mall as well.

Thread Information