Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617
Results 401 to 416 of 416
  1. #401

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Unfortunate, sign of the times.

    Given the current climate and overall demand of in-store shopping at malls, towns the size of OKC, Tulsa, etc appear to be able to support one large healthy mall in the market. OKC has Penn Square, Tulsa has Woodland Hills. Both owned by Simon.

    Quail Springs is going through a re-branding with the aquarium and gaming/entertainment center being built, and a major fitness center replacing one of the anchors a few years back (Macy's to Lifetime Fitness). While the mall is still healthy, it's not as much a shopping destination as entertainment center.

    Promenade has not been able to evolve as stores have closed.

    From a location and age stand point, Promenade has more in common with Penn Square with both originally being outdoor shopping centers and having unique layouts and closer to the core of the city.
    Woodland Hills was built a few years before Quail Springs Mall and has a similar racetrack layout and surrounding businesses on 71st Street in Tulsa mirror Memorial Road.

    Then OKC and Tulsa both have two repurposed malls. Eastland Mall in far east Tulsa was rebranded into an office complex/call center as Eastgate Metroplex in the early 2000's. Crossroads/Plaza Mayor was to be similar to La Gran Plaza in Fort Worth, but ultimately closed October 2017.
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the current trend in shopping malls is open air, pedestrian walkway, fountians, etc. and that Penn Square was open air back in the 80's? They enclosed it all to keep up with the mall trend back then.
    Plus ca change...

  2. #402

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    I wish someone would convert Shepherd Mall into some sort of mixed use development. Tear down the parts between the old department stores and replace with outdoor lifestyle center -type retail and apartments.

  3. #403
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,158
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It looks like there is somehow still a KMart out in Clinton lol
    It keeps Wal-Mart away.

  4. #404

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    I've seen 3 recent articles about Amazon buying out Penny's. It's been written happening both before or after bankruptcy.

  5. #405

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I've seen 3 recent articles about Amazon buying out Penny's. It's been written happening both before or after bankruptcy.
    Curious...What's the intended purpose of Amazon buying JCP? Would the stores continue as retail? Specialize in selling Amazon branded products? Smaller distribution warehouses for same day delivery?

  6. #406

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Unfortunate, sign of the times.

    Given the current climate and overall demand of in-store shopping at malls, towns the size of OKC, Tulsa, etc appear to be able to support one large healthy mall in the market. OKC has Penn Square, Tulsa has Woodland Hills. Both owned by Simon.

    Quail Springs is going through a re-branding with the aquarium and gaming/entertainment center being built, and a major fitness center replacing one of the anchors a few years back (Macy's to Lifetime Fitness). While the mall is still healthy, it's not as much a shopping destination as entertainment center.

    Promenade has not been able to evolve as stores have closed.

    From a location and age stand point, Promenade has more in common with Penn Square with both originally being outdoor shopping centers and having unique layouts and closer to the core of the city.
    Woodland Hills was built a few years before Quail Springs Mall and has a similar racetrack layout and surrounding businesses on 71st Street in Tulsa mirror Memorial Road.

    Then OKC and Tulsa both have two repurposed malls. Eastland Mall in far east Tulsa was rebranded into an office complex/call center as Eastgate Metroplex in the early 2000's. Crossroads/Plaza Mayor was to be similar to La Gran Plaza in Fort Worth, but ultimately closed October 2017.
    I completely forgot about Woodland Hills, I thought that was the mall you were talking about, my mistake! Woodland Hills mall is doing well, correct?

  7. #407

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Curious...What's the intended purpose of Amazon buying JCP? Would the stores continue as retail? Specialize in selling Amazon branded products? Smaller distribution warehouses for same day delivery?
    I would imagine all of the above.

  8. #408

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Woodland is probably the second healthiest mall in Oklahoma. They did lose Sears, but an H and M is coming later this year.

  9. #409

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Just read on CNN that the JCP stores in Enid, McAlester, Midwest City, Shawnee, Muskogee, and the store at Promenade will close.

  10. #410

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    5 years ago, I begged for the JCP in Penn Square to close, so Nordstrom could take its place (r so the mall could expand). But now, I don't think many department stores are expanding.

    Here is the CNN article mentioned above:

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/busin...rus/index.html

  11. #411

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Curious...What's the intended purpose of Amazon buying JCP? Would the stores continue as retail? Specialize in selling Amazon branded products? Smaller distribution warehouses for same day delivery?
    I'd suspect a large reason would be their brands. Arizona, St John's Bay and a bunch of others I can't remember. Amazon has been expanding their house brands.

  12. #412

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Penney's closing 154 stores this summer, including:

    Oklahoma:
    Oakwood Mall, in Enid
    Tandy Town Shopping Center, in McAlester
    Town Center Plaza, in Midwest City
    Arrowhead Mall, in Muskogee
    Shawnee Mall, in Shawnee
    Tulsa Promenade, in Tulsa

  13. #413

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Penney's closing 154 stores this summer, including:

    Oklahoma:
    Oakwood Mall, in Enid
    Tandy Town Shopping Center, in McAlester
    Town Center Plaza, in Midwest City
    Arrowhead Mall, in Muskogee
    Shawnee Mall, in Shawnee
    Tulsa Promenade, in Tulsa
    I am not really surprised, I think they will do better as a stand alone, we have JcPenny's in Moore as stand alone and it seems to be doing well

  14. #414

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Surprised the Ardmore location survived.

  15. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    I'd like to say that i'm annoyed about the MWC one but with Kohls just a few stores down in the same shopping center, it's been on shaky ground since it opened. And more often than not, i'm not able to find something i like there compared to going to Target or Kohls. The brands they have just haven't been keeping up. They have the old lady patrol down, but that's a shrinking market ya'll.

  16. #416

    Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

    Stinks, since MWC won't be able to fill that anytime soon.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sears Closures
    By OKCTalker in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-26-2014, 08:53 PM
  2. Sears Outlet
    By Karried in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 06:47 AM
  3. Sears in home sales
    By mranderson in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 01:32 PM
  4. K-Mart and Sears to join up
    By Patrick in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 01:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO