Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I heard the exact same thing. Told it was a done deal right after Christmas. Not so much.
    JC Penny in Penn Square on the list to close.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkchuckk View Post
    JCP doesn't do a very good job of competing with Dillard's there. I bet Dillard's will be happy. One less big distraction from them in the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    It appears that Penn Square will probably happen. Maybe Nordstrom can fill the void in OKC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...likely-to.html
    That would be the perfect location for a Nordstrom or at least a flagship Belk. I think in OKC a flagship Belk would be more likely. Either way, it will be a step up from JC Penney, which isn't what it used to be.

Regardless, it should be an easy location to fill. Penn Square is a very successful mall and that specific location is very high visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    JCP doesn't do a very good job of competing with Dillard's there. I bet Dillard's will be happy. One less big distraction from them in the mall.
    Man, I never thought of Dillards and JCP as competitors. Dillard's seemed to aim for a different market, higher end/higher $$$ than JCP has ever targeted. No slam against JCP, because I have plenty of their brands in my closet - just never thought of "Well, JCP doesn't have XYZ, let's try Dillard's...." at least not at similar price points.

I always wondered if building at the far east end of the PSM property was the best idea. It always seems like an afterthought to go down there. OTOH, I love that two-story arrangement miles better than their absurd one-level acreage in Moore. I hate going to that store if for no other reason than I feel like I'd better hire a Sherpa to guide me and leave a trail of breadcrumbs so my loved ones can find me when I get lost between menswear and appliances....

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That would be the perfect location for a Nordstrom or at least a flagship Belk. I think in OKC a flagship Belk would be more likely. Either way, it will be a step up from JC Penney, which isn't what it used to be.

Regardless, it should be an easy location to fill. Penn Square is a very successful mall and that specific location is very high visibility.
    Agree. In Stillwater the Belk store is noticeably better than JCP.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkchuckk View Post
    I'd be shocked if they close that instead of the QSM location.

I'd love a Belk, but I guess OKC isn't SEC ready

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'd be shocked if they close that instead of the QSM location.
    I actually like the Quail Penney's better than Penns.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I actually like the Quail Penney's better than Penns.
    My wife does too. I was more speaking in terms of the malls' health.

10. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

I would imagine that Penny's being in PSM is to pricey in terms of rent. I'm not 100% if Penny's owns that building though since it was built later. They seem to be doing better with the strip mall approach rather than the traditional mall approach (like every other retailer). Penn has been slowly working their way to getting rid of the lower/mid range retailers anyway and making Penn a more upper-middle range location....not upscale by any means, but definitely higher end than it was in the 90's. That's what they figure is their niche to stay alive to counter the strip malls....focus the higher end stuff in one place.

I'm wondering if Dillard's might consolidate into the Penny's building though. Not sure on the footage comparison but the way Dillard's is spread out in the two stores has always been nuts. They didn't do squat to the space they took over for men's either...still looks as crappy as the former retailer (Wards was it?...can't remember). If they did, it would be an opportunity for Penn to lease out the smaller Men's section to another smaller dept store brand and maybe something larger in the Women's end. The question....what would it be? It wont be Belks...might as well put a Kohls in there if you're going to do that, but i think they all lump in the same "strip mall comfort zone" that Pennys is in now.

^^^ Some Belk locations in the Southeast are VERY nice. Like Macy's, the quality of the store can vary depending on the location, especially if it was an acquired location that was built as something else and never updated. A Belk like the ones I was used to when I lived in Charlotte would be a huge win for Penn Square Mall.

C. None of the Above

Gordman's crosses the finish line first!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cy-in-nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by jjjumper View Post
    C. None of the Above

There will be a lot of strip malls with an empty space now.

14. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Kinda stinks for Gordman's. I could usually count on them for some Christmas presents. Although, didn't go the rest of the year....probably part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjumper View Post
    C. None of the Above

Interesting - the story I heard this morning indicated they *weren't* closing (like it was a reorg?). This article clearly states its a liquidation....

16. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Kinda stinks for Gordman's. I could usually count on them for some Christmas presents. Although, didn't go the rest of the year....probably part of the problem.
    My wife went to the Memorial store last Thursday afternoon and bought a purse. She said she was literally the only customer.

JC Penney just announced the list of store closures and the Penn Square location was not on the list. The 4 stores in OK to close are located in Altus, Claremore, Stillwater, and Ponca City.

Once again that source was wrong. JC Penney at Penn Square is not closing.

http://www.koco.com/article/these-ar...s-year/9146252

I'm surprised that the King of Prussia mall location is closing. That's one of the largest malls in the US.

I wonder how long people here will keep buying into these articles saying a Penn Square anchor will close.

Penny's in Stillwater couldn't compete with Belk, among other problems.

Maybe vacant space from closed Penney's locations will interest other department stores to come in, like Dillard's, Kohl's and Bed Bath and Beyond. Hopefully, they're not all hurting.

Yeah, when a business (finally) starts using that kind of language, seems like the handwriting truly is on the wall. Nothing anyone hasn't been expecting for a while now, but when the company starts saying "substantial doubts" about their future...time to start packing...

With the Target at SW 44th and Western shuttered, and Sears looking like its not far behind, it really gives me concern for that area with two large, empty retail spaces in the offing - and presumably not much of a prospect to fill either of them. I remember when that area was just a vibrant retail core, and it's just sad to see it fade away.

25. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Sooner Dave - i very much agree. And i dont see how the area is ever going to fill in the space. It's not as though you could tear out the structures and get something new built either....or homes. I can see this becoming a blight very quickly. Very sad.

Thread Information