Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

The only Oklahoma closing for this round is in Muskogee.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...213148758.html

That's from the list of Kmart stores. The list of Sears stores is further down the article. From the full list of both Sears and Kmart:

Oklahoma
    Kmart 4 East Shawnee St Muskogee OK
    Sears 428 SW C Ave Lawton OK
    Sears 1901 S Yale Ave Tulsa OK

3. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The only Oklahoma closing for this round is in Muskogee.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...213148758.html
    I saw a different article yesterday that showed 3 closing... Muskogee, Tulsa, and I think Lawton.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I saw a different article yesterday that showed 3 closing... Muskogee, Tulsa, and I think Lawton.
    Man, this is a slow, ugly, painful bleeding out of a once proud retailer. For those of us old enough to remember when Sears was one of *the* places to shop, and going there was almost as routine as going to the grocery store, it's really sad to see them just spin off into oblivion like this. As I've mentioned before, with their catalog ordering infrastructure in place back in their heyday, I'd have argued they should have been terrifically positioned to migrate naturally into the Internet-based ordering/shipping world. They should have been able to beat Amazon before Amazon was, well, Amazon.

am I the only one who misses thumbing through catalogs? when I was a kid when the JC Penny Christmas catalog showed up I was PUMPED

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    am I the only one who misses thumbing through catalogs? when I was a kid when the JC Penny Christmas catalog showed up I was PUMPED
    Heck yeah. Getting the Sears annual "Christmas Wish Book" was the official Start of the Christmas Season. Nothing looked more inviting than the artificial fire places, the vibrating electric NFL football games, and pages after pages of awesomely photographed toys. It was my own version of "Christmas Story's" Ralphie clamoring over Higbees display window of "mechanized electronic joy". That Wish Book was one of the most awesome marketing tools ever.

^

Can totally relate to all of that.

Of course, those feelings are only common to people over a certain age.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Can totally relate to all of that.

Of course, those feelings are only common to people over a certain age.
    52 and proud LOL

There were so many unusual toys in that catalog you'd *never* see in the store...and somehow, they managed to make each one of them look irresistible and fascinating. I remember wanting a Bally Video Arcade out of the Monkey Ward catalog, but they had constant production problems and as I recall were never actually available until later the next year....now they're collector's items

^
    ^
    .|------- Still shops at Sear's from time to time. Jacque Panay too.

When you live off camera, you buy on sale, you wear it out, then you go buy more once it's on sale again.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    ^
    ^
    .|------- Still shops at Sear's from time to time. Jacque Panay too.

When you live off camera, you buy on sale, you wear it out, then you go buy more once it's on sale again.
    Hey Jacque Penay looks like its going to be the survivor in all this. I wasn't sure either would survive this.

Has anyone here watched Grown Ups 2? The scene where they're in K Mart it makes K Mart look like a decently nice store. I've never been in a K Mart that didn't look like a third world bazaar.

Amazon is driving them out of business with some help from Wal-Mart and Target.

13. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Not to mention completely horrid management from both firms. Sears had two positives working for it, Craftsmen tools and appliances. They destroyed a great brand in Lands' End, have entertained selling off the Craftsman brand and have too much appliance competition. I say in 5 years they are gone but financially sound based only on the value of their real estate. JCP has nothing. Also dead in 5 years but bankrupt.

I'm still mad at Sears getting rid of their DVDs and video games. JCP seems to be doing a lot better with their deals and I practically get coupons every week. At this point, I think Macy's is in more danger than JCP .

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    [...] have entertained selling off the Craftsman brand [...]
    No longer just entertaining the idea; Sears Holdings announced that they are selling Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker for $900 million. https://consumerist.com/2017/01/05/s...cker-for-900m/

16. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Then one shoe has fallen. If they sell Kenmore (a brand I had accidently left out), then look for the chain to close. There will be no reason to shop there.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    That's from the list of Kmart stores. The list of Sears stores is further down the article. From the full list of both Sears and Kmart:

Oklahoma
    Kmart 4 East Shawnee St Muskogee OK
    Sears 428 SW C Ave Lawton OK
    Sears 1901 S Yale Ave Tulsa OK
    This is a shame. The S Yale store in Tulsa is the only one where I've been able to get good customer service and good product support. The one at Woodland Hills Mall is absolute crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Not to mention completely horrid management from both firms. Sears had two positives working for it, Craftsmen tools and appliances. They destroyed a great brand in Lands' End, have entertained selling off the Craftsman brand and have too much appliance competition. I say in 5 years they are gone but financially sound based only on the value of their real estate. JCP has nothing. Also dead in 5 years but bankrupt.
    No way Sears lasts five years. They're selling assets to cover debts, not to invest in the business. Actually, they're doing what they'd be doing if they were liquidating the company AFTER a bankruptcy. They've just been doing it while the Sears name has at least a shred of credibility left.

They sold the Crafstman name, but it has been crap in the tool community for years now, sadly. Classic Craftsman tools that are found in things like estate sales and such are still worthwhile. I got a few of my uncle's old Craftsman tools from, I'd guesstimate, the 70's or so.

As for JCPenny, they've made quite a turnaround on paper. They're not a juggernaut by any means, but they're in better shape than they were, say, two years ago, and they've put quite a bit of distance between themselves and Sears in the race to the bottom. JCP might actually trip up in all this and survive somehow.

JCPenney To Close 130 to 140 Stores Over Next Few Months

https://consumerist.com/2017/02/24/j...xt-few-months/

Specific locations to be announced in mid-March.

They're saying Penn Square Penny's is on the high risk list.

It appears that Penn Square will probably happen. Maybe Nordstrom can fill the void in OKC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...likely-to.html

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    It appears that Penn Square will probably happen. Maybe Nordstrom can fill the void in OKC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...likely-to.html
    Its a newer building built in the 90's with direct access to the parking garage. I would think someone would want it.

Maybe Dillard's can take it over (only half joking). They've taken over other anchors that have left.

This same news source also said the Macy's at Penn Square was closing. Ended up not to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    This same news source also said the Macy's at Penn Square was closing. Ended up not to be true.
    I heard the exact same thing. Told it was a done deal right after Christmas. Not so much.

Thread Information