Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Muse (formerly 700 West)

Default Re: 700 West

This project totally changes the feel over there. Cant wait for the west side of downtown to continue to infill, hopefully with more housing.

Blog Entries

In the rendering there seems to be another section on the east side that isn't built, like the complex is deeper. Is that a second phase or did it get cut from the design?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    In the rendering there seems to be another section on the east side that isn't built, like the complex is deeper. Is that a second phase or did it get cut from the design?
    For some reason, they framed the west section first but all of it will be built.

Scroll up and you'll see the foundation for the east section.

Any chance they might be planning on opening it up to residents in phases, and so are finishing one of the sections first?

Blog Entries

Ah, yes, I see it, sorry should have looked harder first.

8. Default Re: 700 West

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For some reason, they framed the west section first but all of it will be built.

Scroll up and you'll see the foundation for the east section.
    My guess is that they needed on-site staging while the parking garage was being built, but that now that it is in place they can stage materials from the garage.

Maybe someone can make another attempt at the independent movie theater/bar cafe across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Maybe someone can make another attempt at the independent movie theater/bar cafe across the street.
    All the equipment was removed and it's now a cannabis bar.

11. Default Re: 700 West

great midrise infill development
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I thought this project was pretty impressive until I realized that the east side has not been fully framed yet. I drove by yesterday and the framing is going up pretty fast now. Holy cow what a difference to this side of downtown.

That lot has been vacant for as long as I remember.

I believe it was cleared some time in the 1970s and was to be a future phase of Sycamore Square, but that project was a big flop so it never expanded.

Pete's images from 4-4 and 4-11 are a great illustration of why The Canton and other "stick built" projects can wind up burning so completely. I don't mean to sound smart aleck, but it looks like acres of kindling if things go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Pete's images from 4-4 and 4-11 are a great illustration of why The Canton and other "stick built" projects can wind up burning so completely. I don't mean to sound smart aleck, but it looks like acres of kindling if things go wrong.
    Light a metal frame building without a finished sprinkler system on fire, let's see if it goes any differently.

16. Default Re: 700 West

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That lot has been vacant for as long as I remember.

I believe it was cleared some time in the 1970s and was to be a future phase of Sycamore Square, but that project was a big flop so it never expanded.
    thank God for that!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I agree to a degree. However, had the Canton burnt before all the drywall was up, and when the wood sheeting was exposed, the glow in the sky would have been visible all over the city and the radiant heat would have caused a number of surrounding buildings to burn. It burnt so relatively slowly because the wood in it was contained within drywall.

You can see they have started on the east section.

They have started to brick the first level:

21. Default Re: 700 West

I know it will feel completely different when the window openings appear in that vapor barrier - and even more so when the exterior finish is applied - but I drove by the other day on Shartel and dang that giant white monolith sure did tower over and dominate the street. It felt a bit surreal at ground level.

^

I had the same reaction.

It's so strange when a lot has been empty for decades. Even though you know exactly what is going in, it's always surprising to see the massing, especially when it's right up to the property lines.

We're also super used to 4 stories with these kinds of developments that 5 stories at this mass is going to seem bigger (and 25% is no small amount) along with what you said Pete about it really being right up to the edge of teh street.

Windows going in which makes the whole thing look less monolithic.

Thread Information