Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Muse (formerly 700 West)

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: 700 West

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The 2nd proposal has almost double the units, an affordable assisted living component (really important IMO) and structured parking below.

Also more commercial space at street level.
    With some design tweaks, it'd be a great proposal, but it looks very meh to me as is.

Blog Entries

didn't even catch that there was structured parking at the ground floor behind the retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    With some design tweaks, it'd be a great proposal, but it looks very meh to me as is.
    Has to be somewhat affordable, and that's a big design limitation.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Has to be somewhat affordable, and that's a big design limitation.
    Very true, Pete. Good point.

What's with the weird angle of the first proposal? One wing is weirdly offset.

You say the design has to be affordable but I see a Lambo and Porsche in the parking lot lol.

I think an underrated aspect of the 2nd proposal is that it allows them to relocate the residents currently at 9th and Robinson, and that they intend to use the old location to create additional low income housing opportunities.

2nd proposal by a landslide. Way better land use. No blatant surface parking. And a great location for affordable senior housing. I'm digging it.

Love the second proposal! Is there a reason they added a fence around it rather than trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Love the second proposal! Is there a reason they added a fence around it rather than trees?
    To make it harder for the residents to wander off?

Developer selected for downtown affordable housing project

The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority (OCURA) is set to approve a developer for a key downtown parcel on the southeast corner of NW 4th and Shartel.

OCURA had previously solicited a request for proposal (PFP) and received two responses for the vacant 1.8-acre parcel.

The RFP was a reissue after a similar process when a developer failed to perform in 2014 on a project that proposed micro living units and live/work spaces.

Dubbed 700 West, the new 4-story development would feature 138 affordable housing units, a pool, playground area, dog park and surface parking.

As proposed, the 121,425 square foot building would contain 27 studios, 84 1-bedroom and 27 2-bedroom apartments ranging in price from $675 per month to $1,249 for income-qualified tenants.

OCURA had sought proposals that would add new affordable housing to the downtown area, as rents continue to rise in the city's core.

The development team is led by Ron Bradshaw who is currently mid-way through another housing project in tandem with OCURA, the Page Woodson complex in northeast Oklahoma City.

Bradshaw also developed the nearby Civic condominiums.

Gardner Architects is in charge of the design work and CMSWillowbrook would be the general contractor.

OCURA will vote to formally approve Bradshaw's group in a meeting to be held Wednesday.

IMO, I prefer the materials and overal aestic of this design; however, that surface parking lot is killing me. I mean atleast the other proposal used every inch of the land. Not sure how to feel about this.... anyone wanna give me some positive insight because I’m worried that parking lot will be there for awhile

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of including the wind conditions on their proposal diagrams? What are they doing with that information? I am probably overthinking this but the wind is very rarely from the north-east in OKC, so I'm curious why they went with that...

14. Default Re: 700 West

The rendering shows 3 $100,000+ cars in the parking lot. That's kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    The rendering shows 3 $100,000+ cars in the parking lot. That's kind of weird.
    And also cracked pavement! I thought that detail was kind of weird to throw in there as well.

Pete, any conjecture about why this proposal won out over the senior housing option?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    And also cracked pavement! I thought that detail was kind of weird to throw in there as well.

Pete, any conjecture about why this proposal won out over the senior housing option?
    I suspect the track record of Bradshaw's group played a big part.

They have done a great job at Page Woodson, another OCURA project with a sizeable amount of affordable units.

Yea winds out of the NE is probably the rarest wind possible in OKC. And all the notation about being environmentally friendly and automobile efficient is super weird considering the boring surface lot in the back. What a strange presentation.

How do they set affordable prices and is there a city official or department that overseas these prices? Are there punishments if the project charges more than affordable?

Blog Entries

At the Nikki Nice Developer Forum last week, Aubrey McDermid and Cathy OConnor said it was based on income of 80% AMI (may have that acronym wrong, it's I think average median income?)

HangryHippo Guest

It'd be cool to see it 6 stories, or 5 and 3 on opposing sides, but the 4 story builds are getting old. At least this one has some aesthetic variety.

Ugh, so much surface parking.

I'm sure that surface parking is part and parcel of 'affordable' housing.

It's a trade-off, unfortunately.

please explain.. not trying to be contrary but Why would having a huge surface lot equate to affordable housing? Wouldn't each unit become more affordable if more units were built instead of a huge swath of asphalt?

Parking garages are really expensive. Lots and lots of concrete. I think they run about $20,000 per parking space.

That’s the old OKC way. Cheap cheap cheap. Other developers in other cities make it work. I’m sure these guys can too.

It looks like it wouldn’t be hard to expand this development down the line when demand calls for it. I like it overall.

Thread Information