35 64.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proper Prounciation of "Air Depot Road"

Default Re: Proper Prounciation of "Air Depot Road"

RM,
    I was trying to be kind.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I fear that you are confusing age with maturity, Sir.
    (or vice-versa . . . whatever =)

Zookeeper,
    There is a quote somewhere that states that "proper English" is that which is spoken today. The language kind of evolves, and we have to accept the bad with the good. Who would have thought that the word "irregardless" would have been acceptable, but even the spell checkers don't see it as wrong.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    C.T.....I'm like you. I'm in my fifties and it was always "controller" with silent "m" and "p" and then it morphed into a mispronunciation using the "m" and "p" and now it's accepted. English is strange that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    I was trying to be kind.
    C. T.
    I know you were.
    Now I'm wondering about the proper pronunciation of the extension to Air Depot, that is, Road.
    Have you ever, actually referred to Air Depot and added Road? =)
    me neither. it might be considered to be "rood" . . . in some parts of England.
    if we still spoke The King's English.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I've just spent a few moments studying how I pronounce Depot. I say
    Dee-poh. However, when speaking French I say Dep-oh. I believe it's a
    French word.
    Actually, this one time that you're correct. The french, depot, means deposit.

I was talking to my friend in London today (looking forward to her visit this month and next) and I asked her about how she pronounces it and she said "depp-oh" not "deep-oh". She also sent this youtube link.
    C. T.
    How to Pronounce Depot - YouTube

I was talking to my friend in London today (looking forward to her visit this month and next) and I asked her about how she pronounces it and she said "depp-oh" not "deep-oh". She also sent this youtube link.
    C. T.
    How to Pronounce Depot - YouTube
    Very interesting, C.T....so it sounds like this is an other side of the pond thing. This happens a lot and I often find myself using, "British English," because I watch a lot of drama from the UK. When there's an argument, I always defer to the Brits since....well....it ain't called English for nothin'!

7. Default Re: Proper Prounciation of "Air Depot Road"

I call it...the street Mr. Spriggs BBQ is on.

Zookeeper,
    I don't agree with a lot of their pronunciations, which by the way, there is no such word as "pronunciations" across the pond, I was just interested and thought I would post it. Also, the youtube link indicates that both pronunciations are acceptable in America. I am always telling her that she talks funny, and doesn't speak "the King's/Queen's English". I'm surprised she still talks to me!
    C. T.
    Very interesting, C.T....so it sounds like this is an other side of the pond thing. This happens a lot and I often find myself using, "British English," because I watch a lot of drama from the UK. When there's an argument, I always defer to the Brits since....well....it ain't called English for nothin'!

Zookeeper,
    I don't agree with a lot of their pronunciations, which by the way, there is no such word as "pronunciations" across the pond, I was just interested and thought I would post it. Also, the youtube link indicates that both pronunciations are acceptable in America. I am always telling her that she talks funny, and doesn't speak "the King's/Queen's English". I'm surprised she still talks to me!
    C. T.
    I understand what you're saying except for one thing. There is no such word as "pronunciations" in the UK?

BBC: BBC Learning English | Pronunciation Tips
    British Library: Received Pronunciation
    Oxford Dictionary: Pronunciation guide | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

Not trying to be obstinate, just wondering what you meant?

Zookeeper,
    I don't think you are being obstinate, but maybe it's her "pronunciation" of the word. She is a retired Head Mistress (school principal) and says "pronounciations". I will have to ask her to spell it. We are skypeing tomorrow in preparation for her trip, so I will let you know what she says. By the way, an old friend from Alabama used to say he wasn't very good at spelling but he didn't have any trouble with his pronounciations! Just a redneck joke of course.
    C. T.
    I understand what you're saying except for one thing. There is no such word as "pronunciations" in the UK?

Oxford Dictionary: Pronunciation guide | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

They do seem to have a bee in their bonnets about "o," "u," and "ou" when in comes to spelling words like color or honor. Maybe they just have a surplus of vowels on the island and need to sprinkle them around a bit more freely than we do...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    They do seem to have a bee in their bonnets about "o," "u," and "ou" when in comes to spelling words like color or honor. Maybe they just have a surplus of vowels on the island and need to sprinkle them around a bit more freely than we do...
    I think webster and oxford were just upset with each other while they were standardizing spelling with their dictionaries

I think we need to bring back the "s" that looks like an "f" except without the crossbar.
    Then add it to the end of words like "pronunciationf"

Or to the middle of wordf like "Wilfhire".
    (except without the crossbar)

I can't seem to get Tattoo out of my head this morning..."Boss, De Pot, De Pot!!!"

. By the way, an old friend from Alabama used to say he wasn't very good at spelling but he didn't have any trouble with his pronounciations! Just a redneck joke of course.
    C. T.
    And to throw another wrench into the redneck conversation....my dad used to call it Air-a-Depot

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    And to throw another wrench into the redneck conversation....my dad used to call it Air-a-Depot
    That sounds sort of like the Italian pronunciation . . .
    (like "frah-gee-lay" for fragile)

It's certainly much easier to say "Air Depot Road" 10 times real fast than it is to say "Toy Boat" 10 times real fast. Goooooooooo 9'ers!!!

Jim,
    A quote I use often since my friendship with a Brit is "England and America are two countries divided by a common language". I thought for a long time it was from George Bernard Shaw, but apparently not. Oscar Wilde said "We really have everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language".
    C. T.

Zookeeper,
    I talked to my London friend today and the way she says "pronunciation" sounds a lot like "pronounciations". That's her East London up bringing showing. I was wrong, they do say pronunciation. As well as aluminium, envisage, and many other funny things.
    C. T.

Jim,
    A quote I use often since my friendship with a Brit is "England and America are two countries divided by a common language". I thought for a long time it was from George Bernard Shaw, but apparently not. Oscar Wilde said "We really have everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language".
    C. T.
    I first saw that line attributed to Churchill, but he was probably quoting someone else. He never did let fear of plagarism prevent him from using a good line when he came across one...

I'm sitting here smoking a Churchill (Baccarat, The Game, Dolce far Niente) and enjoying some CC neat, in a Bushmill's glass; and it just occurred to me that I invariably pronounce Home Depot (DEE-poh 100%) and vary my pronunciation of Air Depot (DEE-poh 72%, DEH-poh 28%). With a statistical error of 5% one way or the other.

There is a 10% chance that this could be a caution regarding smoking cigars and sipping Canadian whiskey at the same time.

On the other hand, it may be a reminder that even if I had a million dollars, I'd probably be enjoying the same little slices of life doing the same thing. =)

Prunepicker Guest

I thought of another pronunciation.

Deep Uh-Oh?

Waddya think?

Prunepicker Guest

Zookeeper,
    I talked to my London friend today....
    London, that's just south of Dibble, right?

I think it depends on rather or not you live in the orginal mile.

To-May-Toe or To-Mah-Toe; take your pick. Military usually pronounces it Depp-o and the rest of us say Deep-o...
    That's funny you say that because I work on Tinker and do, in fact, say "dep-oh" when referring to work but Air Depot Blvd. has always been said "deep-oh".

Thread Information