Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population

Default Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population

Does anyone in this forum use a car sharing program? Depending on your answer, why?

2. Default Re: Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population

I share one with my wife...does that count?

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population

Haven't had reason to yet. But the time is coming.

When I have outside the metro trips, I often use a car from Budget that no one else is using that day. Not quite the same thing, but close. Though in recent months, I've just used one of the fam vehicles instead. My lovely acquired a new to her ride last August through a friend. Decent milage so I've used it a few times.

I shared my a car with my stepson a few times. After having a car totaled twice that won't be happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I shared my a car with my stepson a few times. After having a car totaled twice that won't be happening again.
    You shared it with him 3 times and he totaled it twice!?!? Shame on you then lol j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    You shared it with him 3 times and he totaled it twice!?!? Shame on you then lol j/k
    I understand, plupan. If it had been you, it would have been 3 out of 3.

Let me introduce this forum to what car sharing means. Car Sharing is a membership based car rental service. You can rent a vehicle by the hour or daily. Vehicles are places in high traffic areas in other business parking lots. Example; Midtown has a Mini Cooper and a Nissan Juke in the Brown's Bakery parking lot. They are available for rent 24/7. Once you have filled out an application and become a member, you are then covered by our insurance program and we pay for gas and maintenance. Hourly rates starting at $8.50 and daily rates $65.00. You are given a membership smart card that will unlock these vehicles for you. When you enter the vehicle the key is placed inside and you are ready to go. After you are done with the vehicle, you simply park it back where you picked it up.

Does anyone have questions about car sharing? Home | Timecar

It think you might have discover the root of your challenge in OKC TimeCar. The concept of a shared-economy is as foreign to OKC as curry. Once people understand you aren't trying to spread communism it becomes easier, but clearing that first hurdle is hard as hell.

10. Default Re: Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population

I think most people understand how it works, its just there's no need when you already own a vehicle (or several). The number of people who don't own a vehicle will be relatively minimal in OKC (que suburban sprawl whine-fest now). Maybe short-term pickup rental might be handy though. Ever since I sold mine I've been missing it's capabilities. Home Depot's rental truck has gotten a few workouts from me.

Blog Entries

You do have your rare folks (like Sid, and the carlessinokc folks), but hopefully that is a growing trend...

I want very much to use the service, but it is hard to justify except on rare occasions (car in the shop).

If I ever worked downtown as well as lived there, instead of only living there, and my car went on the fritz, I would definitely join and use the service more often for those times I needed to make a trip, vs buying a new car...

12. Default Re: Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population

I do the opposite. Cars share me.

Two-driver household...I have three cars, wife has one.

I can't imagine ever not having at least one vehicle. I see that for the majority of Oklahoman's.

HangryHippo Guest

I would love to car share, but the locations aren't yet that convenient for me (or the other way around I suppose is equally valid).

I don't see this service as cost competitive. You can rent an intermediate size car from Enterprise at $28.00 a day in OKC and they will pick you up at your location as well.

Blog Entries

I agree daily rate wise, but if you only need it an hour it works great. I suspect the higher daily rate is to discourage daily use so the cars are available for hourly users. But I don't know.

I can't imagine paying 2x the going rate or more for a daily rental. And by the time one pays a 3 hour rental at 24 or so, it still makes more sense to get an all day car from a budget or entrerprise, at least to me in does But I guess if the need is under two hours, it gets into advantage Timecar.

One of the issues I see is availability.

Now, because it's new and thus there isn't much use, you can be confident the car will be there when you want it. Just walk over and hop in.

But as business picks up, I would assume there would be key times there would be need without availability.

Is there a way to check to see if the car is at a location before walking over?

Also, one of my biggest gripes is that way too many people drive the biggest car they could possibly ever need at any one point in time. I call it driving to the highest common denominator. You have families that are typically smaller than ever before driving massive SUV"s everywhere because once every two years everyone is in the same car at the same time along with a dog and tons of other stuff. Virtually every other moment, 3 tons of vehicle are being hauled to work or to get a gallon of milk with only the driver and cargo that would fit in the tiniest trunk.

If there were large vehicles freely available for those very rare times it is truly needed, it would encourage people to drive smaller, more responsible cars every day.

Great business idea and hope it's successful.

For a compact car @ Enterprise( Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris or similar) the all day rate is 16.97 before fees, 26.72 after. The 28.00 I cited earlier was after fees. Yes this does not include gasoline or insurance. Needing a car for just an hour could make TIMECAR competitive, but you might be better off with a cab. ENTERPRISE, Yellow Cab, or TIMECAR, you are sharing a car.

Time Car and other car sharing programs are not trying to compete with Car Rental Giants like Budget or Enterprise, because they are buying these companies. Enterprise has car sharing and Budget/Avis owns Zipcar, the largest car sharing company in the world. Car sharing is trying to help with the congestion of a growing city. Dallas, Houston and Austin already have an established car sharing economy. With multiple companies operating in each city. We are a large land mass and it creates the need for a vehicle. Car sharing is not asking you to sell all your cars, but it is asking that you might save money by selling one of them and using car sharing for the other vehicle.

The issue with availability is not a problem, and will never have to be. As soon as a location becomes busy, we merely add cars or add more locations. Supply meets demand.

Car sharing is 24/7. You can go online and see the availability of the cars at each location near you before you even make a reservation. You can also extend your reservation if needed by simply going online and updating it, or just adding 30 minutes to the computer in the vehicles itself. That simple.

So sell the cars that you don't need, save by using Time Car, then buy your dream vehicle and use it on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    I don't want to be argumentative but it isn't really a matter of whether or not it is a successful idea or not. It's an established market all over the world. ZipCar is the worlds largest but others are growing rapidly. And they are growing because they are heavily used. Car2Go is probably the fastest growing in the space.

Yes, you can easily see where cars are and if they are available.

Car2Go even shows you how much fuel is in the tank.
    Meant that I hope THIS business in THIS community is successful.

22. Default Re: Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population

Just checked Enterprises website. A Economy or Compact car is going to run you $32.81.

Better yet, just do the $9.99 special on the weekends and its only $34.28 pick up on Friday and drop off on Monday.

My insurance covers a rental car but I would have to provide gas. Also, Enterprise hasn't done unlimited local miles in awhile, so after 300 miles its $.20 mile (not an issue for most people, but it is with my driving needs).

For me, owning my own car is way too convenient. Actually, we own 4 cars right now. If I was in a big city like NY then I could see doing it. Possibly in OKC if I was retired and didm;t around much or if I was in grad school and spent most of my time studying. Otherwise it would be a huge inconvenience.

I do wise they had by the hour pickup trucks (besides Home Depot). Now that's something people need from time to time to move furniture, large purchases, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I understand, plupan. If it had been you, it would have been 3 out of 3.
    naaaa, it would've just come back with every cop in the city looking for it

I live in Mustang and babysit from one to three Grandsons almost daily. I own one car. I guess I really don't have dog in this fight. Just moving the Car seats and Booster would wear me out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I do wise they had by the hour pickup trucks (besides Home Depot). Now that's something people need from time to time to move furniture, large purchases, etc.
    Pretty sure TimeCar has a pickup truck as one of their options (in certain locations -- but think they'll move it for you if you need it at yours). If not they used to.

Thread Information