Widgets Magazine

Thread: Old Restaurant on Campus Corner

Default Old Restaurant on Campus Corner

We just moved back to the OKC area after eight years in Washington state. We've been driving around a lot and dredging up lots of memories about our younger days. We used to drive down from Midwest City and SE OKC for Friday night dinner in Norman. Spent many Friday evenings at Othello's, then Patsy's. We didn't go back to Othello's after Patsy's opened. Also liked O'Connell's for lunch, where we'd get the ETW and a pitcher of beer. But, to my question...there was a restaurant we loved in the Campus Corner. I think it was at Boyd and Asp. We were talking about it today - we know we loved it but we can't even remember what kind of restaurant it was!

Can anyone help our old brains?? Thanks.

Default Re: Old Restaurant on Campus Corner

Boyd and Asp:

Before Louies, there was a bagel shop or 3 that had a run on that corner.
    On the other corner, there was a clothing shop for a long time, Gil's? maybe, then Starbux for a number of years now...

Before that I have no idea what was on that corner, Denco's?

I've heard of some kind of old diner on campus corner

3. Default Re: Old Restaurant on Campus Corner

Denco's was on the northwest corner of Boyd and Asp.

Denco's was located where the current S&B is now, Main and Front.

nm-double post.

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    We just moved back to the OKC area after eight years in Washington state. We've been driving around a lot and dredging up lots of memories about our younger days. We used to drive down from Midwest City and SE OKC for Friday night dinner in Norman. Spent many Friday evenings at Othello's, then Patsy's. We didn't go back to Othello's after Patsy's opened. Also liked O'Connell's for lunch, where we'd get the ETW and a pitcher of beer. But, to my question...there was a restaurant we loved in the Campus Corner. I think it was at Boyd and Asp. We were talking about it today - we know we loved it but we can't even remember what kind of restaurant it was!

Can anyone help our old brains?? Thanks.
    You are thinking of the TOWN TAVERN.

7. Default Re: Old Restaurant on Campus Corner

You're correct, next to the railroad tracks. The correct answer is above: Town Tavern.

Ahh, Town Tavern. Lord, no one ever mentions it anymore. Decent burgers for an old run down dive. It was one of those places where I didn't mind eating the food, but I had no interest in ever seeing the kitchen. Sometimes you really are better of if you pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Did you know: there's a full basement under Louie's on campus corner.

Quote Originally Posted by KenRagsdale View Post
    You're correct, next to the railroad tracks. The correct answer is above: Town Tavern.
    Thanks, all. Town Tavern isn't familiar at all. I guess I gave you the wrong address. Next time we're in Norman, we'll find the right location and I'll ask again.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Ahh, Town Tavern. Lord, no one ever mentions it anymore. Decent burgers for an old run down dive. It was one of those places where I didn't mind eating the food, but I had no interest in ever seeing the kitchen. Sometimes you really are better of if you pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    Add The Mont to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Fond memories of the "cake eaters club". Ya had to love it.

The corner of Boyd and Asp is the main entry area to Campus Corner. Today there's a Starbucks, New York Pizza, Louie's, and a Cafe Plaid in that area. Other than the Starbucks all the other places I mentioned have been there for like ten years. When you said really good food my first thought was maybe Cafe Plaid?

Was it a bar? There's definitely been bar turnover in that area.

This is Town Tavern from 1981:

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    Thanks, all. Town Tavern isn't familiar at all. I guess I gave you the wrong address. Next time we're in Norman, we'll find the right location and I'll ask again.
    Sure enough. I gave you the wrong address. We were in Norman today and I made it a point to find the place. It was Boyd and Buchanan. In the location now is Antique Garden.

Didn't that used to be a La Baguette?

Yes it was La Baguette before the antique place,they had a great breakfast. President Boren was a regular,saw him there several mornings.

Stan

My mind's a bit foggy. Did Town Tavern have the Sooners' season records hand-painted all around the walls? And, I know I saw that those had been moved somewhere; I just can't remember where.

I don't know if Town Tavern had the season records painted on the wall, before my time. But I do know the Mont currently has all of the season records up, and the records go pretty far back.

Yes the Town Tavern was the original home to the season record boards that are now located down the street at The Mont.

Quote Originally Posted by KenRagsdale View Post
    Town Tavern was never close to the RR tracks. Again, confusing it with Denco's on Main.

Thanks, guys. Good to hear I'm not totally gone.

Thread Information