Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Club

Default Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Club

Wow, seems like a bad deal.

''The Ohio-based customer service provider Convergys will close its Moore call center March 10, laying off up to 375 workers.

Call center employees received layoff notices on Monday, to comply with federal law that requires some large employers give workers at least 60 days notice of an impending mass layoff.

The call center, housed in a leased former Walmart off Interstate 35 north of SW 19 Street in Moore, is scheduled to be torn down to make way for a new Sam's Club, said Deidre Ebrey, director of economic development for the city of Moore.

“Of course, it's sad to lose jobs, but the new Sam's Club will bring in just as many jobs if not even more,” Ebrey said.

Convergys decided to close the Moore call center because the investor group that owns the building did not give the company the option to renew its lease, said Brooke Beiting, a spokeswoman for the company''

Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Club | News OK

Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wow, seems like a bad deal.

''The Ohio-based customer service provider Convergys will close its Moore call center March 10, laying off up to 375 workers.

Call center employees received layoff notices on Monday, to comply with federal law that requires some large employers give workers at least 60 days notice of an impending mass layoff.

The call center, housed in a leased former Walmart off Interstate 35 north of SW 19 Street in Moore, is scheduled to be torn down to make way for a new Sam's Club, said Deidre Ebrey, director of economic development for the city of Moore.

“Of course, it's sad to lose jobs, but the new Sam's Club will bring in just as many jobs if not even more,” Ebrey said.

Convergys decided to close the Moore call center because the investor group that owns the building did not give the company the option to renew its lease, said Brooke Beiting, a spokeswoman for the company''

Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Club | News OK
    I am saddened by this. This isn't a good trade. First, there are enough Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs. Second, if they have to build another one there are other places they could do it without forcing 375 people out of work. This really shows the kind of bully Wal-Mart is. Yes, they are a legitimate business that operates within the law but that doesn't mean the way they do business is morally right.

3. Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

We were talking about this several months ago that it was coming and looks like it finally happened. It is sad that Convergys is choose to just lay off everyone off instead of transitioning them to the at home program they've had for many years now. More than likely they didn't want to keep people on at a higher pay rate than a new hire.

Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

FWIW, if you know any of the employees, I think SITEL in Norman may still be seeking new folk.

5. Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

Hang on here before we get too mad at Sams. The least deal Convergys had would have given them sufficient time to locate new space (and it is out there...hell we're about to vacate that much space in one building ourselves as we move to another one). So if Convergys had wanted to stay in business, they simply could had moved shop to somewhere else in town. It's not like there aren't plenty of options for that size of an office...actually there are a TON of options out there.

The next person up the chain to blame is the investment firm. Rather than continue to lease out to a company that supports a large number of jobs, they have instead chosen to make a large chunk of money and convert to Sams. Will Sams have jobs? Yes. Will there be as many? No. Will it cause more tax dollars to go into the Moore accounts from sales tax? For sure yes.

So for the community of Moore, it's a tic in the win category. For those that worked at Convergys, it's a total screw-you where both corporate sides took the money way out instead of putting the employees first. Common song these days for sure.

Too bad if it had to be someone, it wasn't Costco though.

I remember being told at one time there were 1100 employees there so perhaps there has been a trend of declining jobs with this company. Don't know but just speculating. If it were a profitable operation I suspect the company would have found a place to relocate.

HangryHippo Guest

Another Sam's Club? What the hell is going on with all the Sam's Clubs lately?

8. Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    They are getting ready for the impending doom as Costco moves into OKC.

Blog Entries

My college best friend worked there for years before transferring to their Kileen, TX location. Through him I met an IT guy that still works there and has since they opened (I think he got a 15 year service award recently). So, it will suck for him more so than the high turnover agents.

Update from my IT friend that works there: "I have to look for a new job after I help close the site. They tell me I will be here till may. Pretty scary. Been here almost 17 years."

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    Same thing as neighborhood market increase. location, location, location often means market share, market share, market share.
    let's be real. We all know folks who will drive 40+ miles to shop Whole Foods. We also all know folks, probably far more, that will grab the bananas and a can of overpriced soup at a 7/11 since they were already stopped anyway.

12. Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I am saddened by this. This isn't a good trade. First, there are enough Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs. Second, if they have to build another one there are other places they could do it without forcing 375 people out of work. This really shows the kind of bully Wal-Mart is. Yes, they are a legitimate business that operates within the law but that doesn't mean the way they do business is morally right.
    Oh good grief and get a clue about business! No one, least of which is Wal Mart, is forcing this call center to close. It has downsized significantly recently due to decreasing business. If the call center had enough business to justify moving or staying open, they would. Clearly the land is more valuable, long-term' than for a call center. Sam's will generate huge new tax revenues for Moore that the call center would not. Sam's will probably employ a number that would significantly offset those laid off. Finally, unless I am mistaken, the site used to be a Was Mart to begin with.

Personally, I wish it had been COSTCO, too, but to somehow blame or trash Wal Mart for something bad here is just plain ignorant.

As far as enough Sam's, I doubt seriously Wal Mart would invest the $30 million or so to build the store if they didnt think it was profitable. More so, I blame COSTCO for dragging their feet and being unable to make a decision.

At the end of the day, strong businesses grow and the weak perish. If Costco doesn't want to build here that is their problem and they are missing out on some good revenue. If you are mad at Walmart, be mad at the Moore City Council, planning commission, or whoever is in charge of approving these plans there. Walmart doesn't just come in and build what they want without getting approval from the city. It whoever YOU voted for to represent YOUR beliefs and if they approve the Sam's and you don't like it, vote for someone else who is anti-Walmart or run against them. If you don't vote at all, that is your problem. Quit complaining and get active in your community to try and make a difference.

If you failed, at least you can say you tried and it makes you look better whenever you want to complain about Wally World or McDonalds or whatever. I actually admire Sam Walton and think he is a great businessman.

If Convergy's wanted to stick around, Isn't the Macy's space at Crossroads still for sale? They could of moved into that space.

Telemarketing is dead.... End of story and I am excited that i won't have to drive to Norman anymore to go to Sam's. Now if only we could get some better food options in Moore other than the fast food row I'd be perfectly content.

Blog Entries

They may have changed missions, but last I knew they were not telemarketers. They were an outsourced call center.

17. Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    They may have changed missions, but last I knew they were not telemarketers. They were an outsourced call center.
    As far as I know that operation never did outbound telemarketing. Their main client for years was DirecTV. Just people talking about a situation they know nothing about, but what's new.

18. Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    If Convergy's wanted to stick around, Isn't the Macy's space at Crossroads still for sale? They could of moved into that space.
    I don't think they would be interesting in building anymore sites. They can easily transition everyone to work at home if they wanted, but it sounds like they'll make them all reapply for the company if people want to stay.

Nice excuss for Convergys to cut costs. "Its the evil Walmart that did it."

Isnt the "Investment group" that owns the property actually Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    As far as I know that operation never did outbound telemarketing. Their main client for years was DirecTV. Just people talking about a situation they know nothing about, but what's new.

Telemarketing is a specific activity at a call center. Telemarketing can involve cold calls, but more often is calling existing customers or people that have expressed an interest and want to receive a call. It's one in the same....

Except the difference is that they are an inbound call center for Directv. They don't make any outbound calls what so ever.

22. Default Re: Call center in Moore to close, lay off up to 375 workers to make way for Sam's Cl

acumpton is right. I had a few friends that worked there in college and later as well. Just inbound people calling to do things like troubleshoot issues or work account issues. It's just like if you call into Cox and have them help you with stuff. DirectTV just outsourced that work to companies like Convergys.

OKC has no shortage of this type of facility. West up on the NW side was a fairly good sized company as well. But they lost a lot of employees after lose contracts. That's the danger of a firm that is based on contracts. You lose the contract, all of a sudden you have to let go of everyone on that team. I know West worked for groups like AT&T and Office Depot...and I'm sure others.

Subcategories[edit]
    Lead Generation, the gathering of information and contacts
    Sales, using persuasion to sell a product or service
    Outbound, proactive marketing in which prospective and preexisting customers are contacted directly
    *****Inbound, reception of incoming orders and requests for information. Demand is generally created by advertising, publicity, or the efforts of outside salespeople.*****

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I am saddened by this. This isn't a good trade. First, there are enough Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs.
    That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Respectfully, however, the market disagrees with you. Stridently, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02
    Second, if they have to build another one there are other places they could do it without forcing 375 people out of work.
    WalMart has absolutely no leverage over how Convergys does business. Exactly how did WM "force" Convergys to lay off 375 people? Convergys could have moved to any one of several empty business spaces in the area, but chose not to. That's their decision. Further, the building isn't theirs, they leased it. The owner has every right not to renew the lease, just as any owner does for just about any renting tenant. If you want to blame someone, blame Convergys. Amazingly, the employees being laid off are Convergys', not WM's; correspondingly, that's the company that might deserve at least some of the blame - but that kind of analysis is so often blown off when there's a strawman "villain" like WalMart to blame.

Keep in mind, too, that as the business at that site has diminished over the years, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that this action didn't merely accelerate the inevitable. I believe Convergys employed in excess of 1,000 people at one time, and if they're down to under 400 now, it suggests the long term for them was anything but rosy. And it isn't like the news of the Sam's Club coming in was some sudden bombshell - its been discussed on this forum for literally months now.

No disrespect, bchris02, but Convergys is not the helpless, femme fatale victim in this, and WalMart is not the villain wearing a black cape and sporting a handlebar mustache tying them to the railroad tracks. The folks who run Convergys surely didn't bury their collective heads in the sand, either, over the last several months as this unfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02
    It's This really shows the kind of bully Wal-Mart is. Yes, they are a legitimate business that operates within the law but that doesn't mean the way they do business is morally right.
    *sigh* Utter nonsense. I have my own dislike for various aspects of WalMart's operation, but trying to paint this as an overall example of WalMart "bullying" is just silly. Convergys made the employment decision, not WalMart. Owners repurposing their facilities and opting not to renew leases is as routine an element of doing business as paying taxes and tracking inventory. The City of Moore, if nothing else, stands to gain tremendous tax revenue in light of the new operation - revenue that won't be going to OKC or MWC.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
    that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Respectfully, however, the market disagrees with you. Stridently, in fact.

Walmart has absolutely no leverage over how convergys does business. Exactly how did wm "force" convergys to lay off 375 people? Convergys could have moved to any one of several empty business spaces in the area, but chose not to. That's their decision. Further, the building isn't theirs, they leased it. The owner has every right not to renew the lease, just as any owner does for just about any renting tenant. If you want to blame someone, blame convergys. Amazingly, the employees being laid off are convergys', not wm's; correspondingly, that's the company that might deserve at least some of the blame - but that kind of analysis is so often blown off when there's a strawman "villain" like walmart to blame.

Keep in mind, too, that as the business at that site has diminished over the years, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that this action didn't merely accelerate the inevitable. I believe convergys employed in excess of 1,000 people at one time, and if they're down to under 400 now, it suggests the long term for them was anything but rosy. And it isn't like the news of the sam's club coming in was some sudden bombshell - its been discussed on this forum for literally months now.

No disrespect, bchris02, but convergys is not the helpless, femme fatale victim in this, and walmart is not the villain wearing a black cape and sporting a handlebar mustache tying them to the railroad tracks. The folks who run convergys surely didn't bury their collective heads in the sand, either, over the last several months as this unfolded.

*sigh* utter nonsense. I have my own dislike for various aspects of walmart's operation, but trying to paint this as an overall example of walmart "bullying" is just silly. Convergys made the employment decision, not walmart. Owners repurposing their facilities and opting not to renew leases is as routine an element of doing business as paying taxes and tracking inventory. The city of moore, if nothing else, stands to gain tremendous tax revenue in light of the new operation - revenue that won't be going to okc or mwc.
    amen!

Thread Information