Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Covell and I-35 Development Updates

I know there are a few threads for this, I just wanted to create a thread that was more clear on all of this and to keep up with the general development in this area. Nothing major like the sports complex or if the plans for an indoor shopping mall do in fact happen.

There is this new McDonalds that was approved. AWWWW YEAH!??!!?!? NEW MCDONALDS IN THE HOUSE... WHAT UP-WHAT UP? lol j/k But here is the article.

Planning Commission approves McDonald’s site
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The Edmond Planning Commission approved the site plan for McDonald’s 5-0 Tuesday night. But the vote came with some reservations about acceptance of the landscaping variance for the property proposed for the southwest corner of Covell and I-35.

City Planner Bob Schiermeyer said the plan does not provide the 10-foot wide improved landscape area the city requires along the east property line. McDonald’s is planning for a 7-foot wide landscaping area instead of the 10 feet required between the parking and right-of-way, said Ryan Oschner, Urban Forestry coordinator.

The smaller landscape will cause McDonald’s to be 122 planting units short of requirements for the site, Oschner said. Planning Commission Chairman asked why McDonald’s cannot provide the 122 planting units on their property.

“I’m not sure why that isn’t possible,” Oschner said.

In representing McDonald’s, Greg Massey with Red Plains civil engineering company said McDonald’s is able to provide the 122 planting units on the site. However, negotiations with city staff has instead resulted in McDonald’s asking to provide landscaping and maintenance on the median islands within Market Street.

“Medians within public right-of-way are dedicated to the city, unless such areas are platted to identify a specific owner,” Schiermeyer said. Commissioner Bill Moyer said he is proud of the landscaping requirements for the Interstate 35 corridor.

“I want to make sure we get what we bargained for,” Moyer said.

Massey said he agreed with city staff when he was asked if McDonald’s would be willing to place the plantings in the median. The median would be considered a common area to be maintained by McDonald’s Massey said.

- See more at: Planning Commission approves McDonald?s site » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Nothing special though.

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

snoooooooze....(about micky ds) lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    snoooooooze....(about micky ds) lol.
    I know lol. . . I was being sarcastic about being excited for it. Hopefully we will get some good announcements, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

My big takeaway from this story is that yet again McDonald's is wanting the rules changed for them. And the worse part is even when it happens, they don't keep their word.

When they were opening their retro "Rock and Roll" McD's at 33rd and Broadway, they fought to get exemptions for signage and neon. They promised they would maintain the neon, and keep it looking nice. Well, that lasted about 5 years, and since then (until the recent remodel) the store has been a blight (not that the shopping center needs help looking run down).

Another Mcdonald's just what they need. If there isn't enough of them in the area as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Another Mcdonald's just what they need. If there isn't enough of them in the area as is.
    I agree with you on this. No reason for another McDonalds :/

7. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Development at any cost. It's the Edmond way.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Development at any cost. It's the Edmond way.
    This particular McDonalds is actually nicer than the majority that are being built.... Edmond is a very nice little suburb and has received many awards. We get it, you don't like suburbs. Go back to your concrete jungle and Dallas bashing while 20 story high-rise every other week are being announced there while here we have 100+ page thread over a crappy downtown 14 story building lol

We need to deflect from that by bashing Edmond. Why do you even open the Edmond thread when you clearly do not like suburbs and what they stand for?

9. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This particular McDonalds is actually nicer than the majority that are being built.... Edmond is a very nice little suburb and has received many awards. We get it, you don't like suburbs. Go back to your concrete jungle and Dallas bashing while 20 story high-rise every other week are being announced there while here we have 100+ page thread over a crappy downtown 14 story building lol

We need to deflect from that by bashing Edmond. Why do you even open the Edmond thread when you clearly do not like suburbs and what they stand for?
    Take it down a couple of notches.

It's my hometown and where my entire family lives and works. I care a great deal about Edmond. So much so that it pains me to see the unsustainable path the city is on.

It's my hometown and where my entire family lives and works. I care a great deal about Edmond. So much so that it pains me to see the unsustainable path the city is on.
    I actually agree with you and JTF about Edmond centering and focusing its efforts on I-35 and Covell, however I--for whatever reason--think this area might turn out to be more than what people are making it out to be. Edmond has also shown great interest in urbanizing its core and encouraging a commuter rail for the OKC metro.

As much as I like 6 lane streets, if I had my way, Broadway into downtown would be narrowed to one lane each with sidewalks widened and a streetcar running from downtown to UCO. For the Covell/I-35 development, I am glad Edmond is choosing to widen the road to 6 lanes.

Hopefully this area really fills in and this is the final sprawl for awhile until we can really get some major infill. I think Edmond is doing some great things. I am in the middle of a plan I will be submitting to Edmond ranging from concerns to widening 2nd ST., the new Covell portions, its downtown, the service roads. I have been working on a few renderings(they're not anywhere as good as yours were for the BLVD, but its something) and some other infrastructure layouts.

"the unsustainable path the city is on." Can you elaborate on that please? What is this unsustainable path and why do you think it is unsustainable?

Not thrilled about McD's but glad to have new thread, so thanks for that.

As ho hum as it is for Edmond to be getting another McDonald's in their new development on Covell & I-35 it's still > than UNP.

Although the development of Covell and I-35 may be better than the development of UNP, the good news about UNP (as far as the city of Norman is concerned) is that it stopped sales tax dollars from fleeing to Moore (Fritts Farm) or maybe even siphoned off a little sales tax from Fritts Farm. The Covell & I-35 development does nothing to improve Edmond's sales tax flow, as far as I can see. It's just spreading Edmonds sales tax collection out a bit.

I'm not sure I agree. The Covell & I-35 plans should work out well. The Summit sports complex will bring in events and students from all over the state and out of state as well. Combine that with the Hilton and 20,000 sf convention center going in there, and then support businesses like the McD's, and I don't know how this DOESN'T get new sales tax revenues for Edmond.

Not to mention the new Francis Tuttle training center and business incubator being built there. In a very short time I expect that area to be a pretty vital hub for Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Not to mention the new Francis Tuttle training center and business incubator being built there. In a very short time I expect that area to be a pretty vital hub for Edmond.
    It's already finished and open!

Oh yeah... forgot it was done. But yeah, the convention center hotel combined with the sports center and the FT center will tie in with some local support businesses and generate some new revenue for the city.

Funny how a major lifestyle center was slated for this site not long ago. Heh.

Panda, thanks for keeping us up to date on the developments in Edmond. Now you just need to go back to the locally owned Farmers Grain and buy something....they're good folks.

I know, I would've like for that happen. There is still a slim possibility, but I'm not holding my breath.

"Major lifestyle center"? What was that?

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    "Major lifestyle center"? What was that?
    Before 2008 crash, there were talks of an enclosed upscale mall and/or a huge lifestyle center to be built out there, but unfortunately, that died. Who knows though, it could be reborn, but is unlikely. :/

Hey no problem! I actually have been back, I just got frustrated that one time. I am starting a new vegetable/herb garden and will try to buy everything from them.

New Update on this!

Edmond to apply for roadway fund
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The City of Edmond is preparing to submit a grant application to the state for the portion Covell Parkway extending from Interstate 35 interchange to Fairfax Drive. City staff will be meeting with state officials to discuss how Edmond fits into the pecking order allotted for funds, Commons said.

There might be a need for the city to increase its local share of capital commitment by $1 million to $2 million to keep the project moving forward, he said before the city council this week. An expensive project in Norman already rates favorably to get state money, Commons said.

Increasing roadway infrastructure needs are not going to go away on that portion of Covell, Commons said. A new McDonald’s restaurant is proposed for the southwest corner of I-35 and Covell. Also, Councilwoman Victoria Caldwell noted that a public new high school will be constructed in six years on an 80-acre site located on the southeast corner of Air Depot and Covell.

“Some of these major road projects may become such that we have to fund a road entirely on our own,” Stevens said. “We were willing to do that at Kelly and Covell. The only reason we didn’t have to is our engineering folks were able to get us back in the mix and we ended up with $7 million from the state.”

Rendering for the conference center.
    - See more at: Edmond to apply for roadway fund » Local News » The Edmond Sun
    I am really liking this. All the designs are great. The rendering for the conference center is better than I thought it would be. It also nice to see Edmond recognizes six lane roads are the best answer for artery and access roads; just like Classen, Shields, Lincoln, and Northwest Expressway. This will be really nice when said and done. Can't wait! I just hope we get some really cool unexpected announcements like an enclosed upscale mall or a lifestyle center here.

Thread Information