Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

It's out in the middle of nowhere. I don't know why the city decided to focus on this area but they need some anchors. I don't know the behind the scenes on this deal but there were tons of discussions. The good news is they're not out of pocket if it doesn't happen. I wonder if the new Warren is scaring them.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It's out in the middle of nowhere. I don't know why the city decided to focus on this area but they need some anchors. I don't know the behind the scenes on this deal but there were tons of discussions. The good news is they're not out of pocket if it doesn't happen. I wonder if the new Warren is scaring them.
    I don't call this the middle of nowhere. This is going to be a big central area in a few years. By the way Starbucks is going before the planning commission. More stuff going in.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I don't call this the middle of nowhere. This is going to be a big central area in a few years. By the way Starbucks is going before the planning commission. More stuff going in.
    It will likely get a lot of business from Stillwater and Enid. I doubt those two towns have any major new retail for competition, such as a movie theater or large strip mall in the works. In Stillwater, the owner of the SW corner of 6th and Country Club Rd. has been trying to land an anchor for a strip mall for many years without any luck.

When the Covell Parkway is finished and runs from around Sante Fe to I-35 and east to Douglas north to Waterloo and then back to I-35, add a bunch more homes that are in the works east of I -35 and yes it will be a busy area. Just look at the intersection with Sooner! The plan is a major busy area.

Video update from the city: https://youtu.be/RLxcgMcZKlE

The McDonalds has started on the South side of Covell, now.

The thing that scares me about this area is that there doesn't seem to be any real development plan. I really wish it was developing like Chisholm Creek. But I think they are just going to shot things in, like how things developed off I-35 in Moore.

Any news on start date toward a Starbucks at that location?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Any news on start date toward a Starbucks at that location?
    Surely you jest. They need to get more original than that if they want shoppers from Enid, Stillwater and everywhere else. Less jestful would be an in 'n out burger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Surely you jest. They need to get more original than that if they want shoppers from Enid, Stillwater and everywhere else. Less jestful would be an in 'n out burger.
    Mmmm.....yes! In Out Burger AND Starbucks, lol. Actually I thought I read where there are plans for a Starbucks in that area.

Current plans

Under construction:

Starbucks
    Braums
    McDonalds
    Strip Mall
    Conference Center/Hilton Garden Inn
    Garden Office Park
    Crest Fresh Market

Proposed/Planned:

Showbiz Cinemas
    Summit Sports Complex

If anyone is hoping for a Chisholm Creek style development, I’d say that will happen within the next decade at Waterloo Rd. The previous massive development anchored by a hospital looks like it’s completely dead.

I was hoping for a new freeway loop at Waterloo Rd. but with OkDOT cutting projects off the 8yr plan it seems that won’t happen. It’s on the OTA to do that which likely won’t happen for another 5+Years. Also I’m expecting the Waterloo interchange project will be pushed back awhile.

Eventual plans were calling for a six laning I-35 between 2nd St. and Guthrie. Was hoping to at least see utility work scheduled on the 8yr plan to Waterloo Rd. Almost zero chance of that now.

I've tried contacting one of the developers in the area about bringing in a new to market fast food/resturant to the area. I have not gotten a reply back. Just hoping he would consider some new ideas instead of what is being built every few miles.

Panda I don't think the loop will happen. Too many high dollar homes would have to be bought out. It was looked at and too much opposition. I was one of those. I did not want to loose all my hard work that I put into my acreage home.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    there doesn't seem to be any real development plan. I really wish it was developing like Chisholm Creek. But I think they are just going to shot things in, like how things developed off I-35 in Moore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Current plans

Under construction:

Starbucks
    Braums
    McDonalds
    Strip Mall

Conference Center/Hilton Garden Inn
    Garden Office Park
    Crest Fresh Market

Proposed/Planned:

Showbiz Cinemas
    Summit Sports Complex
    Sounds like this place is going to be as awesome as UNP in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Panda I don't think the loop will happen. Too many high dollar homes would have to be bought out. It was looked at and too much opposition. I was one of those. I did not want to loose all my hard work that I put into my acreage home.
    Yeah, I agree. I’m guessing if one was built it would be on the Logan County side.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Sounds like this place is going to be as awesome as UNP in Norman.
    Does UNP have a nail salon and a pizza place right next to each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does UNP have a nail salon and a pizza place right next to each other?
    Checked google maps. Didn't see a pizza place. They've got all the cell phone carriers covered. They've got all your clothing covered with Dress Barn and TJ Maxx. Plenty of restaurants with stuff like Panda Express and Chili's, which would be awesome if it were 1998. Honestly, I haven't been to UNP in ages.

Ah, the cell phones are hard to beat, but you ain’t lived or ain’t living until you’ve got a nice development with a McDonald’s and a redbox in your kneck of the woods. First class baby.

The Braum's is now open and Starbucks is moving quickly. I suspect it will be open by April. The strip is framed as well. Things are moving fast in this area.

I noticed on the new road going north off of Covell across the street from the new Braum's the city posted a notice zoning announcement. I think it states, "single and multi family"??? The area north of Braum's is all commercial as far as I know. Can anyone (Pete!) shed some light as to what this zoning announcement is all about or what future plans are being planned?

So the development that will be part the Hilton Garden Inn and Showbiz Cinemas is called The Legacy at Covell. The PUD is going before the planning commission. It features several pad sites, various single and multifamily plans, more big box retail, and a promenade connecting Showbiz to Hilton Garden Inn surrounded by high density apartments and retail. Looks like a pretty solid plan.

Here are a few site plan drawings:

Here is a different drawing describing efforts to preserve the tree canopy. It shows the proposed promenade in greater detail.

Here is a larger image of the first one that shows a site plan of the Summit Sports Complex. Hopefully that project will start soon.

Link to agenda packet: http://agenda.edmondok.com:8085/agen...=10469&prev=0#

I've changed my opinion on this hotel though I really wish now they would have built this and the new retail and housing in downtown.

There is significant development going in and around this area. I will point them out via Google Maps.

U/C

*Showbiz
    *Starbucks/Braums/Stripmall Development(some parts of development already open)
    *Crest Freshmarket
    *New single family home development south of Fairfax
    *Oakridge Office Park

Starting by 2020

*Summit Sports Complex
    *Edmond Animal Center Expansion
    *Covell Widening Fairfax to Broadway
    *Portions of Legacy at Covell

Starting Early 2020's

*Fire department training center expansion
    *Covell and Air Depot expansions
    *East Edmond Highschool
    *Sooner RD. bridge replacement

No Confirmed Start Date

*I-35 expansion

Thanks very much!

I'll get out there with my drone soon.

I wonder what's going to go into that large spot on the South West Corner of Coltrane and Covell that Walmart wanted? Its nice to see all of that development and Walmart is no where to be seen on there.

Rom, I think Walmart is still planned there but I’m not sure. I know the developers backed out but I believe Walmart is still working with the property owners now to build there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks very much!

I'll get out there with my drone soon.
    Sweet! Next time I’m in Oklahoma I plan on getting a lot of ground shots. This area will be completely unrecognizable by 2020. The new streets are already impressive and they did a good job.

Thread Information