Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Panda: Sometimes, when you say "Edmond", it is hard to understand who you are referring to. The City of Edmond government, Edmond's commercial enterprises, or the conglomerate of these that have to work together to make things happen?
    EEDA and the City of Edmond. I'm not sure who else would be involved in this besides the banks, Marriott, and ODOT. Although everyone one of those things are pretty much irrelevant except the bank but my argument on that is something always seems to happen with Edmond and it gets to a point where excuses become nothing more and the city, who started this project, is to blame.

So I am not sure if your are referring to the individual departments within the city such as financing or the Edmond Convention and Visitors Bureau. I am not an expert on city planning and how each department exactly works and which ones play a role in this project. My only assumption would be nearly all of them since they is a public/private project and would benefit the entire city as a whole.

ODOT is only merely working with the city per their request and providing a little over half of the road project. They are overseeing the Covell widening until it is finished. I believe they did the same for the Covell and Kelly project.

I can certainly understand a few delays, but we are closing in on 5 years after over a decade of planning. This stuff was planned in the 90's. Let's get real. This is a small, suburban hotel and nothing is ambitious about it. I'm not even a fan of the flag, location, or design, yet I want to see it going so it can help spur more development in the area.

BTW, let's remember, Edmond's "commercial enterprises" weren't particularly thrilled with this project to begin with since this hotel was receiving large subsidies and they didn't. Mostly the hotel chains on 2nd St. near I-35. At least that is what I remember.

ODOT has delayed the construction bid opening of the Covell Widening for about a month.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation has slightly delayed the bid opening for the Covell widening project, City Manager Larry Stevens reported to the Edmond City Council this week.

Plans call to further widen Covell and continue the parkway with four lanes extending east from Fairfax Lane to Interstate 35.

What had originally been scheduled to go out for bid in March has been moved to April 21, Stevens added.

- Covell widening project delayed | News | edmondsun.com

So I asked about the convention center progress and development out there on today's Edmond chat on newsok... this is the response, take it for what it's worth.

I keep asking and they keep saying they are close to getting started. If you have been out by Covell and Interstate 35, there is infrastructure work going on. Across the street, they are getting ready to start on new McDonalds and Braums.

Any ideas whats going in on the West side of Sooner? They've done a ton of dirt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Any ideas whats going in on the West side of Sooner? They've done a ton of dirt work.
    North or South of Covell?

North

At one point the NW corner had been approved for an unnamed grocery store... not sure if that is still the plan though.

I could be wrong, but I believe Crest was interested at that corner. Not sure if that is still the case though.

Yeah, I remember reading that a lot time ago, but wasn't sure if that was still the case. The area being clear is definitely big enough for a large Crest and probably a small strip center too. I am really looking forward to them making some vertical progress as some point on something. I've been driving by there twice a day for 3 years now, and they've been playing in the mud pretty much non-stop that whole time.

BTW: The utility poles have all already be moved back for the widening of Covell. Based on the poles, looks like they will widen Sooner at the intersection as well (hopefully). I assume the water lines/gas line were already away from the road because I don't recall ever seeing them mess with those.

I couldn't agree more! I am happy just to see the streets being paved in the city's manager progress report. I do believe Sooner is going to get widened to four lanes as they plan add something like 4 or 5 new traffic lights in the surrounding area.

I am really looking forward to the widening. Not so much all of the needless lights. Only Edmond can increase travel time with a road widening.

Hilton hotel? FlintCo as contractor?

Heresay at work is my source sadly....

Braums site plan is going up before the planning commission tomorrow.

http://agenda.edmondok.com:8085/agen...q=7880&prev=0#

Any new info about the work they are doing at the NW corner of Covell and Sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That website had become unreadable... really wish they would make some advancements.

I agree.

EDMOND, Okla. – A groundbreaking ceremony for the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel & Conference Center at Interstate 35 and Covell in Edmond was held today, May 26.

Janet Yowell, executive director of the Edmond Economic Development Authority (EEDA), provided opening remarks.

“We are so excited to mark the start of construction of the hotel and conference center,” Yowell said. “This project has been a priority for more than 10 years and we look forward to this next phase.”

The six-story, 158-room hotel and 20,000-square-foot conference center is being developed as a partnership between the City of Edmond and private developers Covell Partners in Development and Covell-35 Development. The City of Edmond is investing in land, construction of the conference center, water, sewer, electric and road improvements. This will enable several hundred acres of commercial development to take place around this project as well as on the southwest and northeast corners of I-35 and Covell.

The one time construction impact of the project is projected to be $37 million. Flintco will handle construction of the project. The expected completion date is December 2017.

Once completed, the hotel and conference center has the potential to create an annual local sales tax revenue impact of $777,000; 78 jobs; and a total annual economic impact of $5.7 million.

Other speakers at the groundbreaking included Edmond City Manager Larry Stevens, Edmond Mayor Charles Lamb, Edmond City Councilmember and EEDA Board Trustee Nick Massey, Covell Partners in Development Principal John Weeman, Partners in Hospitality President Ghaleb Trad and John Wooley with Covell-35 Development.

Covell widening is set to begin.

Posted here: http://edmondok.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=433

Linked thread - http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...114#post955114

sprawl ... lol

Update on the new conference center hotel.

http://www.edmondsun.com/news/founda...dca54e536.html

Crest is coming to this development. It will be on the West side of Sooner.

That's been planned for awhile. Glad to see it finally heading forward.

Have you heard anything on the other developments planned? It seems like a theatre was mentioned at some point. Would love to see some Chisholm Creek type quality come into this area.

Yeah there were some rumblings about a theater and an upscale movie bar. The theater was going to be part of a 3 or 4 level complex. We'll see if it happens.

So far all I know for sure is McDonald's and Braums.

A little to the west a new shopping center will be debated in early November for Covell and Coltrane.

I do wish Covell would be six lanes all the way through instead of 4 lanes. :/

This crest will be a welcome addition anyhow. I know a lot of people around North Edmond who will drive to south Edmond which can take 20-30 minutes each way so this should work fairly well.

Thread Information