Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 296

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

  1. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    There aren't any houses going up in spring creek area (unless you count that neighborhood that has been an ongoing process for years now a mile south). That area has been established for quite some time.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    There aren't any houses going up in spring creek area (unless you count that neighborhood that has been an ongoing process for years now a mile south). That area has been established for quite some time.
    Yet people still fire up a storm anytime anybody wants to build any retail in that area because it might cause noise and create traffic.

  3. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    well those people are idiots because noise and traffic have been there for 10+ years.

  4. #54

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    well those people are idiots because noise and traffic have been there for 10+ years.
    There are apparently enough idiots to cause an upscale (by OKC standards) grocery chain to give up trying to enter the market after years of fighting.

  5. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    well if they are scared of what some idiots say about entering the market then they shouldn't be here. people will shop there and it will be successful. makes me think something else behind the scenes derailed it.

  6. #56

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    It would be really nice if this area got a nice movie theater, either a Warren or Cine-mark like 'The Tulsa.' I would also love an On Cue at that corner. I get off the highway there and drive to Kelly and Coffee Creek, never passing a gas station, really weird after living in Tulsa where there is a QT on every other corner.

    It would also be great if we could get a Life Time Fitness in that area, but I am not holding my breathe on that one .

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    There are apparently enough idiots to cause an upscale (by OKC standards) grocery chain to give up trying to enter the market after years of fighting.
    I used to shop at Reaser's all the time, and I would take Crest over them in a heart beat. Crest is cheaper, has better produce/meat, selection and is kept up much nicer - at least the one at 15th and Santa Fe. I am all for options, but I don't think Reaser's really offers anything (upscale-wise) we don't already have in Edmond.

  7. #57

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    getting sick of this f#cking town somtimes. It seems the Crest may not be built now here. Whenever something nice is proposed, it usually doesn't happen or gets scaled down. Sucks.

    Diana Baldwin 2:15 p.m. Sad news is that Crest grocery may not build at Covell and Interstate 35. The city and developers are still working to exchange locations for the hotel and conference center.

    - Chat recap: Edmond buys land for fourth high school | News OK
    So many good things that are proposed or speculated for this area... movie theater, nice gas station, laser tag arcade, upscale sports bar, possible enclosed mall, Crest, and another upscale grocer that isn't in OKC but I can't mention right now. Now the Crest likely won't happen because people flip sh*t over developments taking place in a major metro area. I wouldn't be surprised if a good majority of that didn't happen.

    What do we have confirmed? A sports complex for schools, low end Marriott, McDonalds.... and possibly another Walmart.

  8. #58

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    I realize this is water under the bridge at this point, but I still don't understand why Edmond is actively encouraging sprawl by providing incentives to build out this area. Is a large scale hotel and convention center still going in at this intersection? Why aren't we creating a stronger center by encouraging those developments around downtown/UCO? While many suburb across the country build new urbanist faux town centers to create a sense of place, Edmond turns it's back on its existing and authentic good bones. (I know there are efforts going on in downtown Edmond, but what if this activity was also there?) 2 steps forward, 1 back. Oh well.

  9. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    How many times does something changed when first initially planned? Not in just Edmond, but okc and elsewhere. Stuff happens. And the only time people have flipped over anything in this area is when the wally world market was proposed a mile to the west of here. I know people who were ecstatic about the crest going in. Esp since they have modified Fairfax golf course in order for the corner to be opened up for development. So if anything happened it seems like it was on Crests end and not anyone complaining.

    And like you said, everything is proposed and speculated. No one really knows what else is going in besides the ones you mentioned. The convention center and sports complex will be a lightning rod for development in the future along I-35 down to 2nd street. No one expects this area to be a classen curve, but it has potential to be a strong economic area.

    but to start cursing about things, cmon now. you seem to be getting way to worked up lately. take a deep breath, and embrace the good (and sometime bad) things that are going on up here. There are lots of things to look forward to

  10. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I realize this is water under the bridge at this point, but I still don't understand why Edmond is actively encouraging sprawl by providing incentives to build out this area. Is a large scale hotel and convention center still going in at this intersection? Why aren't we creating a stronger center by encouraging those developments around downtown/UCO? While many suburb across the country build new urbanist faux town centers to create a sense of place, Edmond turns it's back on its existing and authentic good bones. (I know there are efforts going on in downtown Edmond, but what if this activity was also there?) 2 steps forward, 1 back. Oh well.
    mainly because there isn't much room in downtown Edmond for a hotel and convention center. and access to I-35 is more desirable because of almost a guarantee of rooms being occupied if a convention isn't in town. plus it will be near the sports complex which is looking to become a regional hub

  11. #61

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    How many times does something changed when first initially planned? Not in just Edmond, but okc and elsewhere. Stuff happens. And the only time people have flipped over anything in this area is when the wally world market was proposed a mile to the west of here. I know people who were ecstatic about the crest going in. Esp since they have modified Fairfax golf course in order for the corner to be opened up for development. So if anything happened it seems like it was on Crests end and not anyone complaining.

    And like you said, everything is proposed and speculated. No one really knows what else is going in besides the ones you mentioned. The convention center and sports complex will be a lightning rod for development in the future along I-35 down to 2nd street. No one expects this area to be a classen curve, but it has potential to be a strong economic area.

    but to start cursing about things, cmon now. you seem to be getting way to worked up lately. take a deep breath, and embrace the good (and sometime bad) things that are going on up here. There are lots of things to look forward to
    man I know. It doesn't just happen in Edmond, it's just frustrating to see something nice not happen. :/

    btw... if I say anything that offends you, Jerrwall, or anyone else I apologize. even though I love my dad and he loves me, he has pretty much disowned me for being with a particular girl he doesn't approve of due to race and he also might have cancer, had another girl I've been with on and off for awhile I really liked tell me she only wanted money and was cheating leave me because I wouldn't give her $1000, mother call me the spawn of satan because I couldn't give her $400 for a car payment, coupled with school, working my but off to save up money to pay the rest off for this acting school I'm moving to LA for, I'm just stressed out and irritable so again, if I have been an ass, I do sincerely apologize.

  12. #62

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Worthy Cook, I hear you and you're not wrong with anything you're writing. I guess I just feel like there should be enough demand with UCO and civic and university events for a hotel downtown. Private industry can stack cheap chain hotels up and down I-35 for all I care, but if the city is going to get involved with something I wish it would take a different approach. And this convention center isn't exactly going to be Cox. I think there's more than enough land in the center of town, even if it's over closer to UCO or even on UCO property.

  13. #63

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I realize this is water under the bridge at this point, but I still don't understand why Edmond is actively encouraging sprawl by providing incentives to build out this area. Is a large scale hotel and convention center still going in at this intersection? Why aren't we creating a stronger center by encouraging those developments around downtown/UCO? While many suburb across the country build new urbanist faux town centers to create a sense of place, Edmond turns it's back on its existing and authentic good bones. (I know there are efforts going on in downtown Edmond, but what if this activity was also there?) 2 steps forward, 1 back. Oh well.
    Yes, if I remember right, we will start to see vertical activity for the convention center and hotel by October. The Summit Sports Complex will also be breaking ground this October/November as well. I believe the McDonalds shouls start before the end of this year and the roadwork will begin next summer sometime.

    The theater/entertainment complex and Walmart NM are still a year or two out as are the other unknown big box stores.

    As far as the sprawl, they are building this out there to create awareness of the city for travelers on I-35. Not only will this draw people from the highway and create good visibility, this will be better here and not downtown because it will create a new retail corridor that could be pretty significant. East Edmond is set to begin growing pretty rapidly and it is likely we will see talks of new highway loop on Waterloo or a little north of it within a decade and construction soon after. Logan County is starting to see increased growth and the city council of Guthrie is starting to become more development friendly. Guthrie is truly a city that could take off if it played it's cards right(another thread that is high up on my list of threads I want to start). It has a beautiful downtown that is begging to be revitalized!

    Once this police station is built, other things are going to happen. There are about three 2-5 story buildings that are in the works that will have retail on bottom and housing on top, couple with a few other office buildings, a possible performing arts center, commuter rail station, parking garage, Broadway redevelopment, etc. I am actively looking for a short term rental house around UCO and they are scarce with rents pushing 800-1000 a month. Not extremely high, but they are steadily rising. The old police station is also going to be redeveloped, possible restaurant and offices. I have possible talks of new city hall and a brand new community center.

    So some things are in the works that could be big for the city and its downtown. I am perfectly fine with the location of this development and I think it won't be on the fringes for long.

  14. #64

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    No Crest? Boo! Hiss!

  15. #65

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    I hope they build a nice area for the Edmond people at the normal Edmond standards. And don't turn that corner into tax revenue drivers for people passing thru.

  16. #66

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    A faux urban town center in Edmond would be nice, but let's be real. Spring Creek Plaza attempted and did a good job at Oklahoma standards. Other areas in the metro don't have anything like Spring Creek. It would be nice if Edmond really focused it's efforts downtown or an urban town center thing. I hope what they are doing down there will make a significant difference. Crest at Covell and 35 would be nice and I hope that happens.

  17. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    I hope they build a nice area for the Edmond people at the normal Edmond standards. And don't turn that corner into tax revenue drivers for people passing thru.
    Who are "Edmond people" and what exactly do you consider "Edmond standards"

  18. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Im curious too. Expecting a really accurate response.

  19. #69

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    9/9/2014

    Here's what is currently there.





























    It has been like this for a few months now. If I recall, we should see some foundation movement on the Conference Center/Hotel in October. Not sure about the McDonald's.

  20. #70

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I realize this is water under the bridge at this point, but I still don't understand why Edmond is actively encouraging sprawl by providing incentives to build out this area...
    One man's sprawl is another man's infill. This area will definitely begin to connect much of the far north and east sides around a new high school and hopefully reduce some core Edmond traffic issues as well.

  21. #71

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    This is starting to remind me of "Hefner Four Corners". A lot of dirt work, a huge flag pole on each corner of Hefner and Broadway Extension and the developers went bankrupt. It never happened, it was in the late 70's and to this day, there isn't much there.
    C. T.

  22. #72

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    This is starting to remind me of "Hefner Four Corners". A lot of dirt work, a huge flag pole on each corner of Hefner and Broadway Extension and the developers went bankrupt. It never happened, it was in the late 70's and to this day, there isn't much there.
    C. T.
    I am very afraid that will end up happening here. A lot of dirt work and nothing else.

  23. #73

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    PlutPan,
    I drove by today and there's still a lot of expensive equipment on the Northwest corner, and it's been there for quite a while, not doing anything and not making any money, so who knows? I suspect there's just been a delay.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I am very afraid that will end up happening here. A lot of dirt work and nothing else.

  24. #74

    Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    From Diana's chat

    Diana Baldwin 2:13 p.m. I was told last week that the land exchange between the conference center and hotel developers and the city has been completed. Now, they will proceed to work on the conference center and full-service hotel. Developers said once the hotel-conference center starts to come out of the ground so will others,. I know of a McDonalds and Braums.

    - Chat recap: Edmond adds more nightlife options | News OK

  25. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

    for comparison, what is this Hotel/Conference center size compared to one in Ardmore along I-35?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What happened to Covell Corner?
    By boscorama in forum Edmond
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 07:54 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM
  3. SW/C I-35 and Covell
    By Soonerinfiniti in forum Edmond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
  4. I-35 and Covell
    By mtpinto in forum Edmond
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM
  5. Covell and Kelly
    By blabare in forum Suburban & Other OK Communities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 11:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO