Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    didn't they do the same with that Walmart several years ago on Coltrane and Covell
    Yeah, Ashforde Oaks wanted a pretty large landscaping / sound barrier to be installed between the neighborhood and the Walmart. My understanding is it wouldn’t have been commercially reasonable (less parking, smaller store footprint, etc.) so WM walked.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Yeah, Ashforde Oaks wanted a pretty large landscaping / sound barrier to be installed between the neighborhood and the Walmart. My understanding is it wouldn’t have been commercially reasonable (less parking, smaller store footprint, etc.) so WM walked.
    Wasnt there a lawsuit involved? I was thinking walmart sued because they had followed all code requirements but was still denied approval. Maybe Im thinking of another place.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Wasnt there a lawsuit involved? I was thinking walmart sued because they had followed all code requirements but was still denied approval. Maybe Im thinking of another place.
    I think it stopped short of a lawsuit. Initial site plan was voted down at the Edmond City Council, and I think the HOA pushed back pretty hard on the revised plan.

If the Neighborhood Walmart grocery store been approved for that small corner lot -there is no way Crest would have built on Sooner and Covell. Looks like all things worked out for the better. And yes, I saw the drawing for a fairly large apartment complex to be built between the theater and hotel. Looked like it would be a good fit without neighbors getting kinked about it since it wouldn't back up to a neighborhood.

I don’t think that’s true. I also think that neighborhood market should’ve been built. Not sure why they walked but they were willing to fund the infrastructure improvements at Coltrane and Covell to be a four lane through streets with turn lanes, traffic signals, and basically everything Edmond plans to do similar to other projects along Covell.

I lived in Asheforde Oaks at the time. Very nice neighborhood and nice people. But typical Edmond NIMBYs. Signs all over the neighborhood about it and I’d bet eating a hat many of those same people admittedly against it would’ve shopped there eventually if it was built. Such a damn shame it wasn’t. It would’ve saved me personally gas and time instead of having to go to Homeland or further.

Just another example of the Edmond way.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    If the Neighborhood Walmart grocery store been approved for that small corner lot -there is no way Crest would have built on Sooner and Covell. Looks like all things worked out for the better. And yes, I saw the drawing for a fairly large apartment complex to be built between the theater and hotel. Looked like it would be a good fit without neighbors getting kinked about it since it wouldn't back up to a neighborhood.
    There is a Walmart Neighborhood Market at 164th and Western, one mile west of Crest at 15th and Santa Fe, both seem to be doing just fine.

The Crest at I-35 will pull from a much larger area outside of Edmond.
    Guthrie, Stillwater, and many others who travel to OKC from the north on the weekend will make it a stop for groceries and prices they can't find in their smaller communities.

Multi family units being proposed along sooner north of covell
    https://agenda.edmondok.com:8086/age...=18134&prev=0#

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Its just off I35, in an area that has had road and infrastructure improvements, and its in a more commercial area and doesnt abut single family homes. I guess the only NIMBY argument left is crowding the schools. Will be interesting to hear what angle NIMBYs take on this one.

9. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Its just off I35, in an area that has had road and infrastructure improvements, and its in a more commercial area and doesnt abut single family homes. I guess the only NIMBY argument left is crowding the schools. Will be interesting to hear what angle NIMBYs take on this one.
    Not a fan of large apt complexes but I’m hoping maybe this will spur commercial development. I would love a decent restaurant and other conveniences. We’ve lived here almost 6 years and I thought it would of started by now. I used to blame Covid but think something else is at play with the large piece of land … like they don’t really want to divide it or are asking a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Halloweenblonde16 View Post
    Not a fan of large apt complexes but I’m hoping maybe this will spur commercial development. I would love a decent restaurant and other conveniences. We’ve lived here almost 6 years and I thought it would of started by now. I used to blame Covid but think something else is at play with the large piece of land … like they don’t really want to divide it or are asking a fortune.
    Rumor among some city offices was a well known business was interested in the strip on the north side of Covell, running from the freeway to the light at Braums but it was said the land owner wanted an out of your mind price for it so the company said hard pass.

11. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Halloweenblonde16 View Post
    And for the past 6 years homeowners moving to the area have paid hefty premiums over "potential" in the area when there is nothing TOO much to warranty the premium. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    And for the past 6 years homeowners moving to the area have paid hefty premiums over "potential" in the area when there is nothing TOO much to warranty the premium. Yet.
    mostly for the schools ..

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I thought they were putting Condo's between the Hotel and Theatre. Honestly, unless they are high end apartments that sucks for that area imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    I thought they were putting Condo's between the Hotel and Theatre. Honestly, unless they are high end apartments that sucks for that area imo.
    I agree. Ideally there’d be 2nd and 3rd level residential with ground level shopping along walkable pathways between the theater and conference center. But it’s Edmond… so…

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I agree. Ideally there’d be 2nd and 3rd level residential with ground level shopping along walkable pathways between the theater and conference center. But it’s Edmond… so…
    That’s what the plan is unless it’s changed.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    There is a Walmart Neighborhood Market at 164th and Western, one mile west of Crest at 15th and Santa Fe, both seem to be doing just fine.

The Crest at I-35 will pull from a much larger area outside of Edmond.
    Guthrie, Stillwater, and many others who travel to OKC from the north on the weekend will make it a stop for groceries and prices they can't find in their smaller communities.
    Yes a similar situation in Moore

also is this supposed to be a 24 hour location?

Yes a similar situation in Moore

also is this supposed to be a 24 hour location?
    yes it is

I don't see why they had a problem with the Walmart also I have a feeling that the Faircloud HOA to the south may have also played a part in Walmart backing out. also I do not know if this is related but around the same time the Walmart location in question was starting to receive push back plans were submitted for a similar store on Santa Fe Ave and SW 134th/SW 4th St in SW Oklahoma City & Far West Moore

Another Mercy ER Is there already one near S 15th and I35 or they shutting that down
    NEW+aerial+zoomed+out.jpg

Another Mercy ER Is there already one near S 15th and I35 or they shutting that down
    Can't imagine they are shutting that down, it's pretty new and I think part of it was rebuilt after the Edmond tornado about 10 years ago. Since it will have an ER versus just an Urgent Care, maybe they are trying to shift resources from the Logan County Mercy in West Guthrie as this would serve both Logan County and north Edmond?

how old is this graphic??

the mcd has been open for a long long time ..

I don't believe this graphic is up to date. Mercy may still own this land but no plans have been brought forward. Missing the animal hospital/center behind McDonalds.

I’m surprised nothing new announced for this area yet. I wonder if once Crest opens that will be a catalyst for more development with increased traffic counts to attract developers.

Things that I think would do great in this area to name a few from my wish list since I’m moving to this area in the next 6-8 months.

Home depot would kill it with the draw from the new homes out east and up to Guthrie and beyond.
    Gym such as planet fitness or Vasa preferably Vasa
    Restaurants such as Hideaway, Charleston’s, Texas Roadhouse. Many many others as well would be good
    Sonic would do good here as well

I do feel this area is prime for development but it’s just a matter of when.

I-35 in Edmond had so much potential. Bayer was supposed to build a Summit lifestyle center. Then, nothing. It is amazing how many upscale retail developments have either never materialized or were killed by rich people (NIMBYs). This area will now turn into cookie-cutter mid-upscale housing developments and strip malls. It is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    . This area will now turn into cookie-cutter mid-upscale housing developments and strip malls. It is sad.
    It is Edmond.

Build the least controversial, most generic things. NIMBY's love generic donut shops, nail salons, and dry cleaners.

Thread Information