Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just moved downtown... so far, so good.

Default Re: Just moved downtown... so far, so good.

Two months in... and feeling good. Downtown Downsizing: Two months in... and feeling good.

I was one of the people at the movies with you and at Shelley's afterwards. I didn't figure out who you were until going home that night. Jill here.

Enjoyed the update, as always.

I especially like the part about more free time due to no yard work, less house to keep up, etc.

I had lived in a apartment/condo for 12 years and I was ready for a yard and dogs. Now, after 12 years in my house, I am fantasizing about downsizing and no longer being a slave to my home. I love home improvement and yard work but it's crazy the amount of time and energy I put into all that.

Because I haven't moved for a long time and I have a 3 bed home with a large garage and two huge attics (plus an outside storage shed) I suddenly realized I had accumulated absolutely tons of stuff. The whole idea of just dealing with that in terms of moving anywhere else made my stomach hurt, so about a month ago I started a major purge. Selling, donating and trashing loads and loads of stuff. The more I do, the more I find... Often things I didn't even know I had, never used or had completely forgotten about. Ridiculous!

I already feel much better just clearing out about half of what I have targeted. And after I'm completely done, I'm going to take another pass and keep going until I get a LOT more streamlined.

One of my favorite sayings: "That which you hold, holds you in return".

Pete,

Wow, that's awesome! I know for a fact how much better, lighter and freer you're going to feel getting rid of so much stuff. I hadn't lived in an apartment in 30 years and wasn't sure how it was going to be but we LOVE our downtown condo and now we can't even imagine going back to a house. My husband is quite the perfectionist and was constantly doing something that needed to be done somewhere in the house or the garage or the yard. No more. It's been great. And we are completely enthralled with downtown OKC and all it has to offer and all the great people who live here. I really do think it's going to just keep getting better.

Good luck to you as you go through your cleaning out process. I know it's overwhelming at times but you'll get to a point and be able to look back and smile.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I was one of the people at the movies with you and at Shelley's afterwards. I didn't figure out who you were until going home that night. Jill here.
    Hey, Jill! Happy you recognized me and that you're reading my little blog. I've had so many people ask me about downsizing and how they could possibly do it, I figured keeping a blog on our adventures would be the easiest way to tell them about our experiences. It was great to meet you at Shelley's and I hope we cross paths again. Bet we will. Hope you have a great week! Jennifer

Enjoy reading your blog and as usual, great update and grandbaby is a cutie pie.

Living downtown just keeps getting better. I am so glad we did this... wish we'd done it sooner. Leaving Facebook...

I thought of y'all last week when I saw the segment on the local news about the "community garden." That's when I said to myself, "Whatever happened to...?" Enjoyed reading your update, "3 weeks - gone in a flash!"

Thanks, Dennis. You should go by and see the community garden in person -- it's amazing! Shelley did a great job on the interview on Channel 5. The bus tour last weekend was really well attended and there's obviously a lot of interest in it. I hope more of them will crop up. Much better than doing it all by yourself, that's for sure. Glad you're enjoying our adventures.

Thread Information