Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Default 7 Eleven Rebranding

Too bad we don't have the real 7 Eleven stores here :/

Fetid with grease, a wrinkled hotdog rotating endlessly underneath a dessicating heat lamp. The slime green nozzle of a Slurpee machine, clenching and then heaving its bowels into the bottomless maw of a Big Gulp. Sound familiar? All of these iconic hallmarks of the 7-Eleven experience might soon be a thing of the past, thanks to a new store redesign that attempts to emphasize healthier living.

The refresh--which will eventually see a new logo and new look come to 7-Eleven's 50,000+ retail stores--was created by Dublin, Ohio-based WD Partners, who were tasked to "reposition and rejuvenate [7-Eleven]'s stores in order to better capture the millennial and female demographics." As opposed to the truck drivers, old ladies in housecoats, and kids on BMX bikes who were, perhaps, 7-Eleven's previous target demographics.

As for the store interiors? 7-Eleven looks like it's trying to distance itself from its unhealthy image as a purveyor of cigarettes, sugar, and grease. The new stores have an almost Whole Foods style vibe--or, if you've ever been in Japan, Famima!--with a layout and signage strategy that attempts to highlight healthier snacks and freshly made food over microwaveable nachos and sodas the size of a toddler's torso.

That's not to say that 7-Eleven is wholly turning its back on the past. Pay attention, and you'll notice from the photos that there's still a pour-your-own Big Gulp station underneath a sign reading: "Slurp. Slurp. Gulp." Nothing like transcribing the sounds of someone noisily chugging 1.2 liters of frozen gelatin syrup in 16-inch-tall cups to really appeal to healthy-living millennials, is there?

Older Stores below

Really sucks about that with Quick Trip... so not only does that keep QT out of OKC we are stuck with sh*tty off brand 7 Eleven Stores while the rest of them get updated to upscale gas station/connivence stores. My only hope is that deal between the owners of QT and whoever else either get thrown out or is violated.

Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Forgive me but, it's just a convenience store. All I care about is that the place is clean and they have what I need. 7-11's in this city fit that bill for the most part. The only stores that appear dirty are the all older stores that don't have any available real estate in the area to move to, expand or rebuild. Ambience and pretty just make the things inside more expensive. I also see a lot of dead space that will cost more to heat and cool the place. Shutting down for a remodel would likely mean a loss and business and that does not always go over too well for most convenience stores because people start shopping elsewhere and sometimes they don't come back.

I know Quik Trip is loved by many people on this board however, in a round about way they are wasteful and contribute to sprawl because they close a store and relocate it and a few cases tear it down and rebuild it every so many years. In my opinion just puts more waste in the landfill for the reason of staying new or leaves another building to rot until somebody can use it for something other than a gas station (That is in the sale contract when they sell to someone else.) Kind of like the person that buys a new car every three years.

3. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Nice design....but it does seem a little over the top for a gas station. Most 711's i've ever been in were in a pretty sad state and only one step up from some of those lovely independant stations. It would be nice to see things cleaned up a bit for sure....butt his seems a bit much. It looks like a mix between a grocery store and a restaurant.

4. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Not disagreeing with you PP, but we do have On Cue's popping up. Which I think are right up there with QT.

5. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Not disagreeing with you PP, but we do have On Cue's popping up. Which I think are right up there with QT.
    And at least three big, new 711s that are much like On Cue.

Where are the Big Three located at?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Nice design....but it does seem a little over the top for a gas station.
    Here is Jax the new 7 Elevens are dropping the gasoline and closing those stores. All the new ones are being located in higher density walkable neighborhoods, including one downtown.

Lets see the Brown family top that...

9. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Where are the Big Three located at?
    Assuming that was in response to my post. There's one at SW29th & May, one on NW23rd & Mac Arthur and one I'm not sure where exactly but I've been by there. Somewhere just west of I-35 in the SE OKC or Moore area is where I think I was.

10. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    ... Somewhere just west of I-35 in the SE OKC or Moore area is where I think I was.
    Not since May 20th.

A new 7-11 has opened at 29th and Sunnylane in Del City in about the last 6 months.

11. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Assuming that was in response to my post. There's one at SW29th & May, one on NW23rd & Mac Arthur and one I'm not sure where exactly but I've been by there. Somewhere just west of I-35 in the SE OKC or Moore area is where I think I was.
    Yeah, the one in Moore was nice...until the tornado killed 3 people in it. It is just a slab now, but will probably be rebuilt after enough time has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Lets see the Brown family top that...
    I've read and heard that the Brown's pay way more than the real 7/11 stores and offer better benefits. But, yes, I get what you're saying.

Possibly the one on Eastern, just north of S.19th? There is also a new one on Robinson and N. Flood in Norman.

The local 7-Eleven/QuikTrip agreement has opened the way for OnCue to come and in seize the upper end of the market, which they have. I'm sure that QT wishes they could terminate or buy out that agreement and exploit this opportunity.

This shows the power of competition in serving the demands of a population.

15. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Oops! Too late to edit my original post. The S. May 711 is at 44th, not 29th. I get those two streets confused a lot. The new one is on the same corner as Homeland.

The company I work for, the interior of every store is different. The only thing that carries the same at every location is the product and the logo. Point being, if 7 Eleven corporate changes their logo, I'd guess that the 7 Eleven's owned here would need to change their logos as well. Anyone concur?

17. Default Re: 7 Eleven Rebranding

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Possibly the one on Eastern, just north of S.19th? There is also a new one on Robinson and N. Flood in Norman.
    That's probably the one. I don't get that way often but I know I passed a corner where one was being built.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    The company I work for, the interior of every store is different. The only thing that carries the same at every location is the product and the logo. Point being, if 7 Eleven corporate changes their logo, I'd guess that the 7 Eleven's owned here would need to change their logos as well. Anyone concur?
    That's a good question. The 7-Eleven here literally has no connection to the international 7-Eleven corporation based in Tokyo since 2005. Even if you go to their contact page, there is a disclaimer, "We are not affiliated with 7/11 stores in Oklahoma City, OK. Please send questions, requests, etc. for them to..." and gives a postal address.

Edit - Here's a screenshot at the bottom of the Seven Eleven/U.S. website's "contact us" page............

Wellllll might as well change their name to TwentyFour7 then.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    That's a good question. The 7-Eleven here literally has no connection to the international 7-Eleven corporation based in Tokyo since 2005. Even if you go to their contact page, there is a disclaimer, "We are not affiliated with 7/11 stores in Oklahoma City, OK. Please send questions, requests, etc. for them to..." and gives a postal address.

Edit - Here's a screenshot at the bottom of the Seven Eleven/U.S. website's "contact us" page............

From Wikipedia

7-Eleven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only independently owned 7-Eleven stores are located in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma metropolitan area.[citation needed] About 125 stores are owned by the family of William C. Brown (currently run by son Jim Brown), under a special arrangement with the company that has existed since 1953. William C. Brown's father, Bill Brown, was a business associate and family friend of John Thompson. Bill Brown had recently graduated from the University of Notre Dame and attempted to find an area "ripe" for the retail concept. During his travels, he met the Tulsa-based QuikTrip chain owner who suggested Oklahoma City to Brown. Narrowing down the choices, Bill Brown decided upon Oklahoma and opened the inaugural store at NW 23rd & N. Portland Avenue in Oklahoma City.[citation needed]

At inception, the Thompson family was a part owner of the Oklahoma City 7-Eleven stores, but never the Corporation. Bill Brown would work a shift at the original store and would scout new locations to build outside of work time. The "Oh Thank Heaven for 7-Eleven" phrase was coined by the Stanford Agency, the in-house advertisement agency for 7-Eleven (1954–1981) in 1969. These stores continue to carry a slightly different product selection than other 7-Eleven stores in the US, as they do not serve hot dogs or nachos; instead, they sell baked goods from an Oklahoma City-based bakery that is owned by the Brown family called 7th Heaven. In late 2005, the bakery's daily sales output was reported as 20,000 units.[40] Also, due to this agreement, they carry a non-7-Eleven branded product in lieu of the Slurpee, the Icy Drink, which is not to be confused with the ICEE.[41] As part of the arrangement, national advertising campaigns and promotions (e.g. movie marketing tie-ins) cannot be used.[citation needed]

I never knew that OKC 7-11's were different than the ones anywhere else. Explains a lot.

Maybe if the original writer of the story accompanying those photos tried really hard he could be just a bit more condescending about 7-11 customers and demographics. I mean, I realize that contemporary "millenials" inherently assume the moral high ground these days on just about, well, everything just because they're, well, millenials, but 'As opposed to the truck drivers, old ladies in housecoats, and kids on BMX bikes who were, perhaps, 7-Eleven's previous target demographics." is just about as crass as it gets.

Almost makes me want to find the author and gulp down an Icy or Slurpee right in front of him just for spite.

Sorry, don't do 7-11 much but for gas, but the tenor of that article just thoroughly rubbed me the WRONG way. The self-absorbed moral arrogance is pretty astounding.

JTF, I was aware of that and was working on the assumption everyone else did too. The "since 2005" should have been worded better. I meant the corporate 7-Eleven has been owned by a Tokyo-based corporation since 2005. But glad you posted it anyway because as Zuplar posted, many still don't realize this about the OKC stores being completely independent.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    JTF, I was aware of that and was working on the assumption everyone else did too. The "since 2005" should have been worded better. I meant the corporate 7-Eleven has been owned by a Tokyo-based corporation since 2005. But glad you posted it anyway because as Zuplar posted, many still don't realize this about the OKC stores being completely independent.
    I was actually discussing this with several people yesterday after learning this. Not one person knew this, and I'm talking business people that have been in the OKC area for 35 years. It's pretty interesting and almost wonder if OKC 7-11's should differentiate themselves from national 7-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I was actually discussing this with several people yesterday after learning this. Not one person knew this, and I'm talking business people that have been in the OKC area for 35 years. It's pretty interesting and almost wonder if OKC 7-11's should differentiate themselves from national 7-11.
    Looking at the pics that were posted, they already do.

Thread Information