Widgets Magazine
Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 186364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1938

Thread: Dallas

Default Re: Dallas

We don’t always lose to Dallas. We do beat them sometimes on somethings. Heartland payments being 1. GEBH energy research another.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I think there's starting to be an uptick in the number of people actually relocating from DFW to Oklahoma City. It's not a LOT, but it's starting to increase. I go to the Citydata forums and am a member of a OKC area FB group and I'm starting to see people moving here from Dallas. They're citing the cost of living as being the main driver. The cost of living is starting to go up quite a bit there because of the rapid growth. They're building large apartment complexes and sprawling subdivisions, but it can't keep up.
    ^^^ I am seeing tons of Texas plates in OKC. Much more than I remember years ago.
    Agree on both points. I'm seeing a lot more Texas tags in the OKC area in recent years.

I usually dread having to go to Dallas... Impatient drivers will run you down if you get in their way. In the last few trips I've seen such craziness on the highways it's scary. Passing on highway ramps, ppl cutting across 3 lanes of traffic suddenly because they missed their exit, and one guy who was texting or fell asleep run his car into a side barrier on I-35E scraping down the side of his car. I would rather OKC not become Dallas. More growth does not equal better living. Measured, managed growth is better. I lived in the Orlando/Kissimmee area for over 10 years from the late 80s to 2000 and it went from somewhat nice to one large swath of overdevelopment. Not fun. Please don't make OKC Dallas.

OKC growing at the rate of Dallas and Austin is a big "no" for me unless we can improve our public transit system to at least be on par with, like, Denver's. And given the current state of infrastructure planning in this city and state, that seems unlikely to occur for another couple of decades, regardless of OKC's growth rate between now and then.

Denver’s transit sucks ass. Hopefully OKC can aim higher than that LOL

I don't know anything about Denver's transit - except we flew in recently and took a super nice, clean train from the airport to downtown for less than $10. Then we took the train from Denver to California, which had beautiful scenery!

6. Default Re: Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Denver’s transit sucks ass. Hopefully OKC can aim higher than that LOL
    What in the world are you talking about? Busses go everywhere, are clean and as safe as you will find for public transit. The light rail is having some issues with new technology but have seemingly worked it out. You can go from about anywhere to the airport, or, downtown to an incredible transportation hub that sits in the middle of everything. Its not perfect but its pretty good.

^^^ we’ll have to agree to disagree on that. Their light rail is horrible. Slowest moving trains I’ve ever seen with every single street crossing at grade. It is a complete joke. I haven’t take their buses everywhere but in their downtown I was waiting almost 30 minutes before I gave up and took Uber. That happened like 3 times. If you have ever been in a city with moderately run mass transit you will quickly realize how many cities that have extensive transit networks are still sh!t because of their design and operation and Denver is one of those cities. What sucks about Denver is that also aren’t very reactive to alleviating traffic congestion either and it shows from then not widening their freeways like they should. At least traffic in Phoenix flows much better with wider freeways.

^^^ we’ll have to agree to disagree on that. Their light rail is horrible. Slowest moving trains I’ve ever seen with every single street crossing at grade. It is a complete joke. I haven’t take their buses everywhere but in their downtown I was waiting almost 30 minutes before I gave up and took Uber. That happened like 3 times. If you have ever been in a city with moderately run mass transit you will quickly realize how many cities that have extensive transit networks are still sh!t because of their design and operation and Denver is one of those cities. What sucks about Denver is that also aren’t very reactive to alleviating traffic congestion either and it shows from then not widening their freeways like they should. At least traffic in Phoenix flows much better with wider freeways.
    i wouldn't say it's horrible.. but completely agree that we should aim higher in our goals... if we build similar to the level of denver, i think we would be adequate, but i want more than just that

Again, given this state's history with transit/infrastructure, I'll be over the moon if we ever end up with adequate public transit. That's why I used Denver as an example in my earlier comment rather than Chicago lol

10. Default Re: Dallas

Some lines are at grade but so are they in every other city where rail is newly built. Dallas has done more but they still have plenty at grade. Sometimes its the only way the line gets built, especially in residential areas. As far as busses, l rode them for 20 years 17 miles to downtown and never had to wait long unless l stayed late for an event or happy hour. Denvers system isn't perfect but its as good as can be expected.
    Some lines are too slow or have too many stops but overall, its a good system as are the busses. Know that some rail lines don't follow old rail or hiways so they built where they could. Maybe you were waiting for an express but if you'd looked up a schedule you wouldn't have waited so long? They are all online - rail or bus.

I’m not sure TBH which bus it was. I’ll be honest, I am not a fan of at grade crossings for any mode of transit. Though I realize the impracticality of keeping every mode of transit grade separated, mass transit on rails should absolutely be. This is why I do not care for Phoenix or Denver light rail network as their system practically is built on an at grade network. Makes me angry just thinking about it.

12. Default Re: Dallas

I’m not sure TBH which bus it was. I’ll be honest, I am not a fan of at grade crossings for any mode of transit. Though I realize the impracticality of keeping every mode of transit grade separated, mass transit on rails should absolutely be. This is why I do not care for Phoenix or Denver light rail network as their system practically is built on an at grade network. Makes me angry just thinking about it.
    If it gets you from point A to B safely, commuters don't seem to mind and the street crossing technology works the its a non-issue. But Denver's is about half and half, its not close to all at-grade. My line L is all above grade until it gets near downtown where it turns into a 2-4 car street train. It also connects to the airport so no one has to drive me the 40 miles out and back.

DFW lands another California company to locate in Frisco! Why is OKC not getting any major relocations? Lack of drive? Education issues?

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ers-to-frisco/

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    DFW lands another California company to locate in Frisco! Why is OKC not getting any major relocations? Lack of drive? Education issues?

There are many reasons but the biggest is likely that Oklahoma doesn't offer the same lucrative incentives that Texas can offer companies.

Because Dallas is Dallas. But, with that said, your phrasing makes it seem like it was a Dallas vs OKC competition and OKC last or continued to lose every time they’re up against Dallas.

OKC realistically can’t even dream to compete with Dallas when it comes to attracting corporations or headquarters. I don’t mean that In an insulting way, just being honest. Dallas, which I hate with a passion, is just a juggernaut.

That is not correct Josh.
    My statement is saying, Why is OKC not able to get some of these prized corporations to relocate? OKC is both centrally located from DFW and the logistics due to 3 major interstates. My "perception" is the OKCCOC does not have the drive to compete. Very weak in my opinion. Of course, realistically OKC will never be able to compete. Texas has a low tax business climate, no state income tax, higher educated citizens....the list goes on and on........

That is not correct Josh.
    My statement is saying, Why is OKC not able to get some of these prized corporations to relocate? OKC is both centrally located from DFW and the logistics due to 3 major interstates. My "perception" is the OKCCOC does not have the drive to compete. Very weak in my opinion. Of course, realistically OKC will never be able to compete. Texas has a low tax business climate, no state income tax, higher educated citizens....the list goes on and on........
    But your question is loaded and for the most part, corporations go to the cities and inquiry about relocating and ask for potential incentives to do so. It’s not as if there’s a nationally distributed newsletter or magazine where corporations submit their name in a “looking to relocate” section and cities then bid for it.

Your premise is based on a non-existent hypothetical.

Major relocation??? Did you even read the article? The company is only leasing 10,000 square feet of office space, lol. Surely, this is nothing to get upset about, lol. And the company was already located in north Dallas.

Developers have taken the wraps off a major new high-rise project planned on the northern edge of downtown Dallas.
    Called the Field St. District, the massive mixed-use development is planned for a two-block, six-acre property on Woodall Rodgers Freeway.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...wntown-dallas/

The $1.5 billion project in The Colony will start to open in March next to Nebraska Furniture Mart, with a new design that’s different from existing entertainment districts in the market.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...as-fort-worth/

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Major relocation??? Did you even read the article? The company is only leasing 10,000 square feet of office space, lol. Surely, this is nothing to get upset about, lol. And the company was already located in north Dallas.
    Most relocations go too cities the company already has operations in. The company itself is already familiar with the city.
    OKC is behind Dallas because Dallas already has corporate offices for hundreds of major corporations.

Things like Heartland happened because Heartland was already familiar.

Now eventually OKC could chase a company like Kratos to relocate from SD, because Kratos has ops here.
    Diamondback Energy is a company OKC could chase as well.

22. Default Re: Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Most relocations go too cities the company already has operations in. The company itself is already familiar with the city.
    OKC is behind Dallas because Dallas already has corporate offices for hundreds of major corporations.

Things like Heartland happened because Heartland was already familiar.

Now eventually OKC could chase a company like Kratos to relocate from SD, because Kratos has ops here.
    Diamondback Energy is a company OKC could chase as well.
    Just adding this to the conversation since it hasn't been mentioned and l know its an issue for most major corporations and that is the DFW advantage of two major airports - one being a major international airport with flights to most parts of the world.

The leaning tower of Dallas

Picture credit to wafflemaster135

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comm...wer_of_dallas/

I give you Dallas newest art addition "The leaning tower of Dallas".

When implosion goes wrong.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...9-ef7bd71c959e

New 17-story tower on the way at Plano’s $3 billion Legacy West development

Project Location

The Dallas-based developer plans to build the 17-story office tower as part of the $3 billion Legacy West development.

The 414,000-square-foot Two Legacy West office project will be constructed on the Sam Rayburn Tollway between Legacy Drive and the Dallas North Tollway.
    Construction on the project would start this year with the tower opening set for 2022.
    The Two Legacy West office tower will include a market-style grocery, a community park, work and game lounges, three outdoor decks with fire pits and a wellness center with saunas and workout classrooms.

A covered walkway will connect to Gaedeke Group’s One Legacy West building, which faces Legacy Drive.

The first 14-story tower — which opened in 2017 — has tenants including NTT Data, co-working firm Venture X, Tokio Marine Holding and Softweb Solutions Inc.

First look: Next Deep Ellum high-rise on the drawing boards

Project Location

Westdale and StreetLights plan to build two new apartment buildings next door to the landmark Adam Hats building on Canton Street.

A four-story building would stretch along Canton at Crowdus Street. Behind that, the plan is to build a 17-story apartment tower next to the elevated highway behind the Adam Hats Building.
    “It will be primarily clad in brick masonry with cast stone detailing, and partially clad with metal panels,” according to the Landmark Commission filing. “The overall design is intended to be a contemporary interpretation of the Adam Hats building design.

“A rooftop sign, inspired by the billboards on the historic structure, is also proposed,” according to the report. “The area between the Adam Hats building and this new construction is intended to be a courtyard for the tenants of the buildings.”

The more than century-old Adam Hats Building started out as a manufacturing plant for the Ford Motor Co.

Thread Information