Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas

Default Re: Dallas

I forgot the name of it but I love that downtown Dallas skyscraper with the open slot in the upper part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I forgot the name of it but I love that downtown Dallas skyscraper with the open slot in the upper part of it.
    I do too! It's Chase Tower:

Plupan, do you think we need two Dallas threads?

http://www.okctalk.com/other-communi...ar-dallas.html

The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge is pretty cool, I was by there last week.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Plupan, do you think we need two Dallas threads?

http://www.okctalk.com/other-communi...ar-dallas.html
    yes, because dear Dallas was a thread about how a particular poster felt about the city. This thread is for pictures and new development related to the DFW area. Since there are announcements similar to the Maywood, Stage Center Tower, Metropolitan etc. . . nearly every week or so, I'll only really get into the major ones.

This thread really puts things into perspective as to how far ahead Dallas really is of OKC. The Stage Center Tower, if built in Dallas, wouldn't even be worth mentioning. It also shows what a true boomtown looks like. OKC, while growing moderately, isn't what I would consider a boomtown at the present time. There is stuff being announced, but nowhere even close to the magnitude that is happening in Dallas or even Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This thread really puts things into perspective as to how far ahead Dallas really is of OKC. The Stage Center Tower, if built in Dallas, wouldn't even be worth mentioning. It also shows what a true boomtown looks like. OKC, while growing moderately, isn't what I would consider a boomtown at the present time. There is stuff being announced, but nowhere even close to the magnitude that is happening in Dallas or even Austin.
    And think on this....that's only half the metroplex. There's stuff the size of the proposed Stage Center Tower going on all over Ft. Worth and many places north and in between. It's crazy, but it's also huge at around seven million people. Here's perspective - "The Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington MSA is, by population, the largest metropolitan area in Texas, the largest in the South, the fourth-largest in the United States, and the tenth-largest in the Americas."

And the economy? "It is also the sixth largest gross metropolitan product (GMP) in the United States,[8] and approximately tenth largest by GMP in the world."

Why bother comparing? It's truly apples and oranges trying to compare DFW with the OKC metro.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    And think on this....that's only half the metroplex. There's stuff the size of the proposed Stage Center Tower going on all over Ft. Worth and many places north and in between. It's crazy, but it's also a huge. Here's perspective - "The Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington MSA is, by population, the largest metropolitan area in Texas, the largest in the South, the fourth-largest in the United States, and the tenth-largest in the Americas."
    True. There is no comparing a city the size of OKC to Dallas anymore than Amarillo can really be compared to OKC. There is a lot of Dallas-bashing on this forum though and while many people may prefer cities the size of OKC over ones the size of Dallas, when talking about development Dallas is an example to embrace, not bash.

True. There is no comparing a city the size of OKC to Dallas anymore than Amarillo can really be compared to OKC. There is a lot of Dallas-bashing on this forum though and while many people may prefer cities the size of OKC over ones the size of Dallas, when talking about development Dallas is an example to embrace, not bash.
    Yeah, Amarillo's close at about 1:5. A better example would be the Tyler, TX MSA right at about 1:6.5 as Oklahoma City. Almost exactly the same as the difference between DFW and OKC MSA. That's even more perspective.

Downtown Tyler....

Bchris, Dallas is not a boomtown. Like a previous poster said, Dallas has the 10th largest GMP in the WORLD. They're an established global city. They may not have touristy iconic landmarks like NYC, but they're a global city in every sense of the word. Of course OKC is not comparable. Boomtown is a word used for growing cities like Austin/SLC/Portland, not established cities like Dallas/SF/Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    Bchris, Dallas is not a boomtown. Like a previous poster said, Dallas has the 10th largest GMP in the WORLD. They're an established global city. They may not have touristy iconic landmarks like NYC, but they're a global city in every sense of the word. Of course OKC is not comparable. Boomtown is a word used for growing cities like Austin/SLC/Portland, not established cities like Dallas/SF/Boston.
    SF and Boston aren't seeing the kind of growth and development Dallas is. Yes, they are an established global city, but also a booming one. The entire SF Bay Area saw a 6% population increase between 2000 and 2010 while Dallas-Fort Worth grew over 23% in that same time period.

The Dallas-Fort Worth CSA is now creeping into Oklahoma, now including Bryan County (my home county). The 20 county CSA is home to approximately 7.1 million people.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, Amarillo's close at about 1:5. A better example would be the Tyler, TX MSA right at about 1:6.5 as Oklahoma City. Almost exactly the same as the difference between DFW and OKC MSA. That's even more perspective.
    Excellent way to make a point that so many can never seem to grasp.

SF and Boston aren't seeing the kind of growth and development Dallas is. Yes, they are an established global city, but also a booming one. The entire SF Bay Area saw a 6% population increase between 2000 and 2010 while Dallas-Fort Worth grew over 23% in that same time period.
    I know that SF isn't growing at the same rate as Dallas. My point is that the term "boomtown" is not generally used to describe cities that are already as huge and prominent as Dallas. Rapidly growing and expanding, yes. But I wouldn't call Dallas a "boomtown". IMO that is unfair to the true boomtowns. No true boomtown is comparable to Dallas.

And think on this....that's only half the metroplex. There's stuff the size of the proposed Stage Center Tower going on all over Ft. Worth and many places north and in between. It's crazy, but it's also huge at around seven million people. Here's perspective - "The Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington MSA is, by population, the largest metropolitan area in Texas, the largest in the South, the fourth-largest in the United States, and the tenth-largest in the Americas."

And the economy? "It is also the sixth largest gross metropolitan product (GMP) in the United States,[8] and approximately tenth largest by GMP in the world."

Why bother comparing? It's truly apples and oranges trying to compare DFW with the OKC metro.
    I'm not comparing it with OKC. I will say once again, this thread is for posting updates and pictures regarding the DFW metroplex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Excellent way to make a point that so many can never seem to grasp.
    This thread was NOT created to compare OKC to Dallas.

I also do not think Dallas is a boomtown. Dallas is a rapidly growing city, but I see boomtowns as smaller cities such as Austin, Portland, OKC, Nashville etc. that are rapidly growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    yes, because dear Dallas was a thread about how a particular poster felt about the city. This thread is for pictures and new development related to the DFW area. Since there are announcements similar to the Maywood, Stage Center Tower, Metropolitan etc. . . nearly every week or so, I'll only really get into the major ones.
    Well, there are similar threads about various cities in the same area with the other Dallas thread which offer pictures and new development information about those cities. It just seems to be a better area for this kind of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Well, there are similar threads about various cities in the same area with the other Dallas thread which offer pictures and new development information about those cities. It just seems to be a better area for this kind of thread.
    I thought about that, but that thread is branded under Oklahoma Communities. I just didn't know whether or not it would be appropriate or not to place it under that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I thought about that, but that thread is branded under Oklahoma Communities. I just didn't know whether or not it would be appropriate or not to place it under that thread.
    I understand. It's difficult sometimes to know exactly what is the best place. There are threads in that area about Omaha and San Antonio and the last time I checked they haven't been moved to Oklahoma.

21. Default Re: Dallas

Loud noises!

22. Default Re: Dallas

Anyone else feel like Dallas is home to some of the ugliest new structures? Some of those designs, I look at and thing, WTF!?! Parkland....and what's with so many things being in the shape of a W?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Anyone else feel like Dallas is home to some of the ugliest new structures?
    Not me. Of the structures in & around Dallas, it's some of the older stuff that doesn't do it for me. I like 98% of the new stuff that's proposed, U/C, or recently completed.

Dallas is building amazing highways like this:

They are also very interested in mass transit as indicted by these studies:

http://dallascityhall.com/committee_...ent_102813.pdf

I'll post some more info later for those who don't want to read that whole thing.

Thread Information