Widgets Magazine
Page 70 of 78 FirstFirst ... 206566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1938

Thread: Dallas

Default Re: Dallas

A large issue with the current rail service is the abundance of stops within a small distance that make the train slower for those traveling between OKC and Dallas. For instance, the current Amtrack stops in Purcell and Pauls Valley are too close together for the size of the towns and the amount of usage. A stop in Thackerville would potentially be more successful than both of those stops and could help to grow more business up 35.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    OKC is the closest big city to Dallas. We have a massive magnet for wealth and jobs less than 200 miles away. I’d love to see some thought and action about better tying the two metros together, like better rail service, expanding I-35, building up the metro south of Norman, etc.
    It would be great if both cities had some common synergies, however, Dallas will align with Fort Worth before OKC. Dallas is a wealthy, white collar city with an international airport, OKC is a blue collar town and with limited wealth. They each have there own personalities, however, I do not believe there would be a partnership as OKC does not value education and quite frankly, does not want white collar jobs. OKC has not attempted to steal or be competitive with Dallas in landing high paying white collar jobs!

I honestly would love to see florida like sprawl from OKC to Dallas. It’s happening to an extent but extremely slowly. I am seeing homes being built and large scale development in Texas all the way to the border almost. It’s a matter of time before it spills into Oklahoma. Very exciting stuff, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I honestly would love to see florida like sprawl from OKC to Dallas. It’s happening to an extent but extremely slowly. I am seeing homes being built and large scale development in Texas all the way to the border almost. It’s a matter of time before it spills into Oklahoma. Very exciting stuff, IMO.
    You have a development corridor along 35 from Dallas southward. I'd like to see the same thing along 35 in Oklahoma to Dallas. Then, another one along 44 from Lawton all the way to Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I honestly would love to see florida like sprawl from OKC to Dallas. ItÂ’s happening to an extent but extremely slowly. I am seeing homes being built and large scale development in Texas all the way to the border almost. ItÂ’s a matter of time before it spills into Oklahoma. Very exciting stuff, IMO.
    Why? I lived in Orlando for over a decade and can tell it sucks. Traffic congestion is miserable. Why would you want that here?

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    It would be great if both cities had some common synergies, however, Dallas will align with Fort Worth before OKC. Dallas is a wealthy, white collar city with an international airport, OKC is a blue collar town and with limited wealth. They each have there own personalities, however, I do not believe there would be a partnership as OKC does not value education and quite frankly, does not want white collar jobs. OKC has not attempted to steal or be competitive with Dallas in landing high paying white collar jobs!
    This is interesting to me because I've always felt that OKC and Fort Worth have very similar vibes.

On a completely unrelated note, I do wonder if the potential of continued electrical grid issues would have a negative impact on attracting businesses to Texas. No immediate impacts, obviously, but possibly something to keep an eye on in the coming years.

Another midrise complex in the speculating and talking phase: 43 storeys apparently at East Quarter neighborhood in downtown

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...las-east-side/

:1B5EE591-187A-4E8E-BCCB-B79B47DA30E0.jpeg

43 stories is a skyscraper right? Not a mid rise?

You’re right, according to Wiki a skyscraper is at least 328 ft high.

Well good for Dallas!

Goldman Sachs and Wells Fargo are looking to lease and open huge offices in Dallas. It did not state if these would be corporate relocations! Another fine catch for white collar jobs in DFW!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-texas-campus/

Goldman Sachs and Wells Fargo are looking to lease and open huge offices in Dallas. It did not state if these would be corporate relocations! Another fine catch for white collar jobs in DFW!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-texas-campus/
    I don't know about relocations but I know a number of Wall Street banks and other institutions are looking to leave New York. There's even been talk about moving the stock exchange to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    There's even been talk about moving the stock exchange to Florida.
    can you provide a link to that? this is something i have been following for about 3 years now, and i have only heard of it possibly moving to Texas, i hadn't heard Florida, minus one US Rep from Florida saying they should move it there.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nasda...034610579.html
    https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-tax-proposal/

14. Default Re: Dallas

It would be great if both cities had some common synergies, however, Dallas will align with Fort Worth before OKC. Dallas is a wealthy, white collar city with an international airport, OKC is a blue collar town (???) and with limited wealth. They each have there own personalities, however, I do not believe there would be a partnership as OKC does not value education and quite frankly, does not want white collar jobs. OKC has not attempted to steal or be competitive with Dallas in landing high paying white collar jobs!
    just curious what makes OKC a blue collar town in your opinion?

Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis - those are blue collar towns. OKC (and most state capitols) I would rank as white collar city given the State of OK, Federal Government (Tinker, FAA, etc), and the energy and support companies we have (since govt jobs are white collar, right?).

What blue collar jobs does OKC even have? Hobby Lobby is the ONLY major blue collar employer I can think of and even then it's an A-Z company with HQ in addition to it's manufacturing also in OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I don't get it. The education system down in Texas is not that much better than Oklahoma's, especially in Dallas. It is getting very expensive there. The property tax rates are extremely high there. Is it just a matter of their incentives they can offer, and sheer mass of people?

1) It's possible that Oklahomans don't know or underestimate the effect of mass population boom to DFW from California / Northeast. Those people will look for weekend getaways, hiking, etc. They will go north into Oklahoma before they go south. They are buying in mass majority of properties in Broken Bow. They are buying homes in mass along Texoma.
    2) OKC is the #3 most moved to location from DFW currently. (#1 SoCal , #2 Denver/CS)
    3a) Want urban sprawl from DFW to OKC? It hinges on the Winstar complex continuing to turn into Vegas on the prairie and job growth. Expedite growth from there up to Ardmore and its in the bag.
    3b) Turner Falls area sucks. Completely neglected. Completely wasted opportunity. People visiting from DFW expect nice things. How and why there isn't a 5 star resort next to it or close by is beyond me.

The mass population boom in DFW has also been a big driver of student growth at OU and to a lesser extent OSU. You almost see more TX plates driving around Norman than OK. Remember DFW has nearly TWICE the population as the entire state of OK.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The mass population boom in DFW has also been a big driver of student growth at OU and to a lesser extent OSU. You almost see more TX plates driving around Norman than OK. Remember DFW has nearly TWICE the population as the entire state of OK.
    Visually this is how it looks (2020): State of Oklahoma. 3.957M , Dallas-Ft Worth. 7.695M

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    This is interesting to me because I've always felt that OKC and Fort Worth have very similar vibes.

On a completely unrelated note, I do wonder if the potential of continued electrical grid issues would have a negative impact on attracting businesses to Texas. No immediate impacts, obviously, but possibly something to keep an eye on in the coming years.
    Not so much anymore. Fort Worth population is now around 920,000 versus OKC 650,000. Plus, it has the Bass Hall Performance Hall, Kimball Art Museum, Dickies Arena, Amon Carter Museum meaning much better cultural amenities in FW. They also have the Japanese Gardens. Much superior arts scene than OKC. Plus, FW just elected its first millennial mayor Mattie Parker, 37 years old, than has some really forward thinking plans for FW. OKC mayor is descent, however, he seems to be a bit more conservative than FW mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    just curious what makes OKC a blue collar town in your opinion?

Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis - those are blue collar towns. OKC (and most state capitols) I would rank as white collar city given the State of OK, Federal Government (Tinker, FAA, etc), and the energy and support companies we have (since govt jobs are white collar, right?).

What blue collar jobs does OKC even have? Hobby Lobby is the ONLY major blue collar employer I can think of and even then it's an A-Z company with HQ in addition to it's manufacturing also in OKC.
    A lot of it is "perception". DFW has a major, international airport with tons of direct flights for business travelers while OKC is very limited on direct flights, most likely due to little demand for corporate travelers. Limited "major" corporate presence for offices in OKC. OKC is not a hub for banking, finance, insurance etc.. I will say, OKC is starting to create more biotechnology firms so this may change for OKC in years to come. making it more high paying, skilled jobs!

Well here we go. This will help Ardmore and southern OK growth were are talking about: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ub/5482201001/

"Tribal leaders, city officials and business executives envision a distribution, storage and manufacturing zone that will bring thousands of jobs to southern Oklahoma and cut heavy traffic on highways between two of the region’s largest cities."

If this can be a quarter of what the Alliance Airport and Hub is for North Fort Worth than this will certainly expedite sprawl in Southern OK.

Downtown Dallas Newpark/Smart District renders

c4-2_PCA-edit_web-1.jpg

Slideshow-Pic-3.jpg

Slideshow-Pic-6.jpg

It's just non stop development down there.

Another deck park for Dallas, this time in the south in Oak Cliff. Called Southern Gateway, the unnamed park will be built on top of I-35E And will connect the Dallas Zoo to the communities to the west

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2680444/%3famp

B5634155-4E66-40D6-8B80-F3BA1C5FF4B2.jpeg

0A40DAAC-481E-4A21-BF02-E67D15EE7982.jpeg

0F17B4FC-C325-40DF-9BC3-7AD65BDCB0C4.jpeg

Thread Information