Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas

Default Re: Dallas

It's official. Now when someone flies into DFW, they have the option of taking light rail. Also this is going to help DART increase ridership.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I think the thing OKC needs to learn from Dallas, more than anything else, is what to do with Uptown. Nobody in OKC cares and probably won't for a very long time, about 50th and Rockwell.

But Dallas has a 10 to 15 year head-start on the areas that are similar to OKC's "Inner-Loop". We need to figure out what to do with the triangular area between 235, NW 23rd, and I-44. There are some things Dallas has done well in their "uptown" areas, and some things they've done poorly. We can learn a lot by copying what they've done right and fixing/re-imagining what they did wrong.
    When I lived in Dallas, Uptown was only the Travis-Knox area with empty lots everywhere. I looked at houses near the "M Streets" area just north of Mockingbird Lane around Skillman, they were still somewhat affordable at that time. That neighborhood kind of reminded me of the one behind Deaconess Hospital west of Portland.

4. Default Re: Dallas

Exclusive: Turkish developer to buy land near Dallas City Hall for $1.2B multitower project

Exclusive: Turkish developer to buy land near Dallas City Hall for $1.2B sky-high project - Dallas Business Journal

2 80 story towers + 2 60 story towers behind city hall.

Wowee.

2 80 story towers -- would likely be the tallest buildings in the country outside of New York and Chicago.

Wait, is this supposed to make Dallas jealous or is it the other way around.... I kid, I kid.

Yeah. While a development this big is out of OKC's league, I definitely envy Dallas for getting it. This is like the Stage Center development x5.

That sounds like an amazingly low cost for a project like that given that the Devon Energy Center cost was about $750M.

Will it look like this?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Will it look like this?
    probably not but that's an awesome building whatever it is

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    probably not but that's an awesome building whatever it is
    LOL, plupan. That's the Dallas city hall. Are you sure you've been to Dallas before?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    LOL, plupan. That's the Dallas city hall. Are you sure you've been to Dallas before?
    huh.... I don't recognize it all. It's a beautiful building though.

BTW, I used to live in Dallas. Well, more technically Richardson ... Campbell and Hillcrest Road. I really liked it. Literally pretty much every road was six lanes. Traffic flowed great and I still walked everywhere.

It's the I.M. Pei Dallas City Hall building (a horrible building layout) with the OCP tower rendered on top of it from the original RoboCop movie which was filmed in Dallas. Here is what it really looks like.

I lived on Forest Lane just east of 635 and Audelia (Snug Harbor apartments), back then (91-93) it was a pretty decent area. My uncle lives near Preston & Campbell, that is where I stayed when I was working there in 2004 commuting from Austin.

Here is another tower development that will take place near Klyde Warren Park! Another impressive win for Dallas!

Tower complex planned near Klyde Warren Park | Dallas Morning News

BTW, I used to live in Dallas. Well, more technically Richardson ... Campbell and Hillcrest Road. I really liked it. Literally pretty much every road was six lanes. Traffic flowed great and I still walked everywhere.
    Well, I live in DFW now and the traffic pretty much everywhere is unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Well, I live in DFW now and the traffic pretty much everywhere is unbearable.
    During rush hour, yes, it's like any other major city. The traffic still flows better, imo. Traffic in pretty much any part flows better than Edmond on any given day. I still go to Dallas quite often and thinking of going tonight.

During rush hour, yes, it's like any other major city. The traffic still flows better, imo. Traffic in pretty much any part flows better than Edmond on any given day. I still go to Dallas quite often and thinking of going tonight.
    Not just during rush hour. I've been stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic at 9am on a Sunday morning and at midnight on Wednesday night. I lived in Edmond and I live in DFW now. I'd take Edmond traffic every day of the week. Traffic in DFW does not "flow" well at all.

Dallas is an awesome city, and as much as I'd like OKC to have this kind of development, I wouldn't want the associated traffic. I'll stick with OKC

It was bad enough when I lived there in 91-93, it was amazing how much worse it got in 10 years. I rarely took highways when I lived there but then Central was under construction the entire time.

I don't know what parts of Dallas you're going through but this hasn't been my experience in Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington or any of the inner ring suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Not just during rush hour. I've been stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic at 9am on a Sunday morning and at midnight on Wednesday night. I lived in Edmond and I live in DFW now. I'd take Edmond traffic every day of the week. Traffic in DFW does not "flow" well at all.
    Ok, well, I just disagree. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic this summer in OKC at 2 am on I-35 for some reason. Never saw any construction, although I did get off of the highway. Dallas has great traffic compared to other cities I've experienced, namely Houston.

Dallas's traffic is no walk in the park, but for a metroplex that has nearly 7 million people, I'd say the majority of the time outside of rush hour, its traffic flows pretty good. Like I said before, I multiple times a month, and the last time I was caught in any major traffic was in August and that was because I went during rush hour. Hell, since that, the traffic I experience on I-35 going from downtown OKC to I-240 has been worse than anything I've experienced in Dallas the last couple of months, except the time I mentioned above.

Two exceptions to that, I will say, is coming into Dallas on I-35 North and 635 and North Dallas Tollway is usually backed up due to construction.

Again, this is a forum board and people tend to love to make up crap and throw words in other people's mouth, so let me state this to be clear: Dallas does not have light traffic by any means. For a city of almost 7 million people, a city that is heavily traveled by car, its traffic flows good given those two variables.

My Edmond VS. Dallas traffic comment should be kept in scale here. I was merely pointing out that traffic in Edmond does not flow much faster than Dallas and were talking about a city that has 1.3 million vs. a city that has 6.6 million. I was not trying to imply Dallas has better traffic than Edmond or vice versa. You can't really properly compare the two. Speed limits in Edmond are way lower than what they should be, way too many traffic signals, traffic lights and flow that is not as advanced, slower drivers or slower paced drivers, narrow roads, etc. are all things that make traffic flow as slow it does in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post
    I don't know what parts of Dallas you're going through but this hasn't been my experience in Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington or any of the inner ring suburbs.
    Well, I generally stick to downtown Dallas, Frisco, Richardson, Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Plano. Outside of shopping, I usually just go chill at Highland Park, Uptown, or North Dallas as that's where my friends and relatives reside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    Exclusive: Turkish developer to buy land near Dallas City Hall for $1.2B multitower project

Exclusive: Turkish developer to buy land near Dallas City Hall for $1.2B sky-high project - Dallas Business Journal2 80 story towers + 2 60 story towers behind city hall.
    Color me VERY skeptical.

This guy owns a building near Dallas City Hall that was supposed to be fixed up but he's had trouble getting the funds to do that. And I'm supposed to believe that he now has the money to do something like this?

The sale of the land has not even closed on this property. And even though DTD is gentrifying, office vacancy is around 25%. There are a handful of prime class A office buildings that even exceed that figure. In comparison, OKC's downtown class A vancancy is under 2%. Heck, there are several older buildings in DTD that are completely empty.

It's clear what this guy is doing: buying up land, probably hiring an architect to do a fancy rendering, all to drum up investor interest, possibly to even flip the land in question. This is par for the course in Dallas.

This story is so egregious I'm stunned the Dallas Business Journal even published it. How nobody's bull**** alarm in their newsroom went off is beyond me.

Also, $1.2 billion isn't nearly enough for what they are proposing.

Devon spent $750 million on their complex that featured one 50-story building. They are talking about two at 80 stories and two more at 60; so almost six times the number of floors for 50% more money. Doesn't add up.

Well maybe they didn't calculate the exchange rate properly. I'm estimating that it will cost $102,840,000,000,000 that's 102.8 Trillion Turkish Lira (Old). Does that help?

Thread Information