Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's Club

Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

They were selling memberships at the Neighborhood Walmart at 23rd and Penn on Saturday. Said the new Sams will open March 3rd.

Wow, March 3rd??

Looks like they could open almost any time now.

I'm a bit surprised for it to be March 3rd. already having hiring signs up and as complete as the build looks.. I was guessing before Christmas.

4. Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wow, March 3rd??

Looks like they could open almost any time now.
    Setting fixtures and merchandising can take quite a bit of time for a store of that size, and usually doesn't begin until all on-site construction is completed (occupancy permit). Were you able to see in windows, and if so, did you see any fixtures or merch?

I was on the opening day crew of the Builder's Square (RIP) at NW 36th and May back in 1986, and literally helped unload the first truckload of fixtures as they were delivered. It took us well over a month - maybe even two - to assemble and set them and to receive merchandise and display according to planogram. Of course back then we had to put SKU stickers on every single item, but we were also a MUCH smaller footprint than a Sam's.

^

Right, but I've seen Costco's built and occupied in a matter of months. There are far, far fewer items in a warehouse store and most of it is on pallets. And virtually no fixtures apart from uniform industrial racks.

I suspect they were going to slightly miss Thanksgiving and decided to put their time and effort into the stores that could be opened sooner.

I admit to being a sam's consumer. I can't resist buying buying 3 months of paper goods and snacks in 2lb jugs.

good things happening around that intersection. I expect it will be a huge hit.

Drove by the Sam's Club today and noticed that most of the signage is up and all of the landscaping is in place. I also noticed a lot of vehicles in the parking lot. I assume that workers are setting up the store fixtures and getting ready for the merchandise to arrive. I imagine that they could also be training the new employees.

a week or so ago, there was a table at the WM on NW Expwy/Council taking employment applications. The lady at the table said they were supposed to open early March. .3 March I believe she said.

Grand opening is March 3rd.

Just got a mailer since I live relatively close by.

Says it will have a Fresh Department (picture of strawberries), fuel station and full-service pharmacy.

I'm looking forward to this because the one at I-40 and MacArthur has a super crappy parking area, and I have to go about once a month for bulk dog food.

Anybody know what's going on directly across the street between City Glass and San Marcos? They cleared the building there about 2 weeks ago.

Demolition permits for 4100 and 4106 N May were filed back in November but no building permits have been filed. Future use of this property is not immediately apparent. More info here: 1406 N. May - OKCTalk

I'm looking forward to this because the one at I-40 and MacArthur has a super crappy parking area, and I have to go about once a month for bulk dog food.
    To avoid the cluster that is their parking lot, I've always parked on the north side of the building (gas station side). There's almost always a spot either right up against the building, or else by the basket return. It's perhaps a little bit further of a walk, but you never have to deal with cars pulling in and out, people crossing the street, etc.

^

Yes, I've done that.

It's more that the parking lot is so awful... Ugly, barren and depressing.

Yesterday was the first day of gasoline sales. We pulled in after seeing the price signs on May.

The attendant was a nice older man. He said that very few people had bought gas yet (as they probably missed the small signs). He also said that the store was targeting people living downtown. According to his information, it's the largest Sam's in the metro, and the layout will be different from the others here. They're set to open March 3.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Yesterday was the first day of gasoline sales. We pulled in after seeing the price signs on May.

The attendant was a nice older man. He said that very few people had bought gas yet (as they probably missed the small signs). He also said that the store was targeting people living downtown. According to his information, it's the largest Sam's in the metro, and the layout will be different from the others here. They're set to open March 3.
    I noticed the listing for the Sam's Club location on GasBuddy today and thought they must've jumped the gun. I guess I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post

That sounds about right. I saw a lot of cars in the parking lot last week. I would assume it is employees getting stock ready.

They've made an official announcement on the March 3rd opening.

I received a mailer.

They've made an official announcement on the March 3rd opening.

I received a mailer.
    I received that mailer several days ago with an invitation to a pre-opening event. I'm not a Sam's Club person though so I won't be going.

Attended the pre-grand opening event on Wednesday. It's a typical Sam's Club. I hope the opening of Sam's Club helps to spur a redevelopment of Mayfair Village.

I wish to God may avenue (like classen) between reno and NW63RD could be added to urban design commission to stop the horrific signage going up. I'll log into my phone and post a couple offenders...including okc's favorite son: on cue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	12334

I'm 95% sure that huge sign was grandfathered in and wouldn't otherwise be allowed there if built from new.

25. Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

I'm 100% sure. And I saw it up close the other day while sitting at the stoplight, and it is an abomination. Looks absolutely terrible, condition-wise, and doesn't in any way fit with the shiny new place it advertises. Combined with the jumble of overhead wires, it looks like a bunch of rusty clutter, and gives the top-heavy illusion that it could topple-over.

It's a shame that On Cue couldn't see past the idea of having a sign that dwarfs all others nearby. Bigger isn't always better.

Thread Information