Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's Club

Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I would think some sort of true lifestyle center type development would have been better for that. This will probably mostly just spur additional congestion.
    C'mon. Let me live the lie.
    This won't make my daily drive a pain in the @ss. Plus I'll have the convenience of 5 gallon tubs of mayo right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I would think some sort of true lifestyle center type development would have been better for that. This will probably mostly just spur additional congestion.
    It was marketed as such for a long time but apparently there weren't any bites.

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    I just hope they find a way to provide access to I-44 west from 39th.
    Your better off safety wise to go to 50th or 36th. That ramp going to LHP can be a nightmare to navigate sometimes. It never fails I always deal with a last minute merging 18 Wheeler or a person who is driving slower than molasses trying to merge on to LHP/44.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post

I'm just hoping that this somehow spurs some new businesses in the Mayfair shopping center. I'm right around the corner and would like to keep my money in the neighborhood but right now Khazana is the only one getting any of my cash in that strip.
    You can blame owners for that one. They were responsible for killing the grocery store so CVS could open a bigger mediocre store. They have ran off most of the tenants there thanks to outrageous rent rates and a refusal to make repairs on the property.

Personally, I think this is the best situation this property could hope for. Sam's will bring a descent crop of shoppers and they will keep the property looking nice. No other store other than a dollar store (DG, Family Dollar or Dollar Tree) is going to be interested in this area. To be honest, I'm tired of seeing the light pole stumps and stripped foundations. It's time for something useful to be placed on this property. For all we know, it might revitalize the areas. There are some descent homes in this area that just need a little TLC to bring the neighborhood back to what it used to be. Who knows, Circle K may be encouraged to remodel to a nicer store. After all not everybody has a Sam's membership. You have to have one to buy their gas.

4. Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

OKC...better than crappy makes us happy!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanized View Post
    okc...better than crappy makes us happy!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    That and all the targets across the street from walmarts...they aren't afraid to compete either.
    had to laugh when I read that...

Yes it is true that they sometimes build a Target near a Walmart but if you ask the management or employees at Target why their SuperTarget isn't open 24 hrs like the Walmart Supercenter and they will flat out tell you that they aren't in competition with Walmart!

I tried to shop at 3 am (when I got off work) and they were closed. i went back the next day on my way into work and that was the answer I got over and over again. The added response was "if you don't like our hours, don't shop here" Duh, if you aren't open and the competition is, guess where I am going to shop? LOL

Am thrilled to have a Sams closer to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    had to laugh when I read that...

Yes it is true that they sometimes build a Target near a Walmart but if you ask the management or employees at Target why their SuperTarget isn't open 24 hrs like the Walmart Supercenter and they will flat out tell you that they aren't in competition with Walmart!

I tried to shop at 3 am (when I got off work) and they were closed. i went back the next day on my way into work and that was the answer I got over and over again. The added response was "if you don't like our hours, don't shop here" Duh, if you aren't open and the competition is, guess where I am going to shop? LOL

Am thrilled to have a Sams closer to me!
    They may not see it that way, but they sell a lot of the same type products, have a similar (though obviously more upscale) set up and pretty similar prices. I shop at both for basically the same things depending on where I am and when I need to go, as do most other people I know. Their markets overlap so they are definitely competitors in some respects. However, the argument was that Walmart and Sams are keeping more upscale grocery stores, Costco, etc... from coming to OKC, so Target fits my point. Though you may make a better one...if Costco, Target, upscale/better grocery stores, etc don't see themselves in direct competition with Walmart & Sams... then all this Walmart dominating the market and keeping everyone else out stuff really is complete crap.

I'm right there with you, I'm fired up about this as well. One less reason to drive up to memorial.

As a member of the surrounding neighborhood I am very UNHAPPY to hear of this as are several of my fellow neighbors! We would love to see the abandoned lot developed but NOT with a Sam's club!! The additional traffic of both customers and the TRUCKS would be devastating to the surrounding community!! The access roads are in HORRIBLE condition already, I don't even want to imagine how much worse they will get if this happens. Traffic in the area is heavy already too. I would not hesitate to move if this happens.... and I Love my home.

To get the thread back on subject...

I don't know how true this is but. During one of the crane stunts, Lynn Hickey took Evel Kneivel up in that van with him to appraise vehicles which is what the crane stunt was about. Lynn and Evel had been friends for a awhile and during this stunt they were back to the old shenanigans. Lynn and Evel were supposedly getting hammered up in that van, drunk as a skunk. Both were peeing in plastic bottles. One accidentally pee'd on the other and all heck broke loose. But by the time the van was lowered so Evel and Lynn could get out, both had forgotten what the fight was about and just ordered another bottle of grandpa's cough medicine. Back up they went and the madness continued. Heard more stories about those two. Don't know how true any of them are but that is what was told to me.

There should be a few more places in this area to eat fast food. Burger King, Carl's Jr, something. Lots of homes in this area and the fast food options are very limited. You gotta drive a bit to get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    There should be a few more places in this area to eat fast food. Burger King, Carl's Jr, something. Lots of homes in this area and the fast food options are very limited. You gotta drive a bit to get to them.
    Uhhh...

I'll take Patty Wagon over Burger King every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    I'll take Patty Wagon over Burger King every time.
    Exactly. Or Barry's Old Fashioned Burgers just down the street at 32nd or so. But if chain fast food is what someone wants, a mile north there is Jack In The Box, KFC, Whataburger. "Drive a bit," is a subjective thing I suppose, but one mile north? Really - that's "a bit"? I agree with you anyway, there are better options that aren't chain fast food even closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellog View Post
    As a member of the surrounding neighborhood I am very UNHAPPY to hear of this as are several of my fellow neighbors! We would love to see the abandoned lot developed but NOT with a Sam's club!! The additional traffic of both customers and the TRUCKS would be devastating to the surrounding community!! The access roads are in HORRIBLE condition already, I don't even want to imagine how much worse they will get if this happens. Traffic in the area is heavy already too. I would not hesitate to move if this happens.... and I Love my home.
    So you want it developed with something with no traffic? How likely is that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kellog View Post
    Sam's does not see as many trucks as Walmart. Not to mention, Sam's and many other retailers forbid their vendors from idling on property. The vast amount of vendor trucks are going to be box trucks. Not to mention, the dock backs up to I-44 so your not going to see anymore truck traffic than you already see right now. Lowe's probably creates more traffic in day than Sam's will in a week. I am willing to bet if the neighbors tactully ask Sam's to tell the drivers not come down there, they will likely do so in the name of being a good neighbor. Besides the store closes at 8, by 9 the place will be pretty peacefull, by 10 it will be as quiet as cemetery. If I had to pick a box to move in my neighborhood it would be Sam's.

Default Re: Sam's Club to 41st & N. May

Perfect....forevermore I will refer to Edmond as "The Wall"

Default Re: Sams club layoffs

Reading of Sam's Club layoffs just really raised my blood pressure.

The six Waltons on Forbes’ list of wealthiest Americans have a net worth of $144.7 billion. This fiscal year three Waltons—Rob, Jim, and Alice (and the various entities that they control)—will receive an estimated $3.1 billion in Walmart dividends from their majority stake in the company.

The Waltons aren’t just the face of the 1%; they’re the face of the 0.000001%. The Waltons have more wealth than 42% of American families combined.
    Why does all of this matter? While the Waltons are building billion-dollar museums, driving million-dollar cars, and jumping between vacation homes, Walmart, the country’s largest private employer, is paying its associates an average of $8.81 an hour. The Waltons make billions a year off of a company most of them don’t even work for, while Walmart associates struggle for respect on the job and enough pay to make ends meet.

Update:

Using the Forbes 400 list for 2013, that the wealth of six of Sam Walton’s descendants has continued to grow. Here are their rankings and their wealth:

No. 6 Christy Walton (daughter-in-law), $35.4 billion
    No. 7: Jim Walton (son), $33.8 billion
    No. 8: Alice Walton (daughter), $33.5 billion
    No. 9: S. Robson Walton (son), $33.3 billion
    No. 95: Ann Walton Kroenke (niece), $4.7 billion
    No. 110: Nancy Walton Laurie (niece), $4 billion
    Total Walton family wealth: $144.7 billion.

Adam Smith would roll-over in his grave at these kinds of statistics.

This isn't about being "against rich people," it's about the tiny few who own the vast amount of the wealth in America. It's about right and wrong.

I strive to be part of the 1% as should everyone that has a work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    I strive to be part of the 1% as should everyone that has a work ethic.
    That is ridiculous. Work ethic is exactly what we're talking about. These six people (the Walton heirs) making more than 40% of all Americans combined don't work. At all. But many people with solid work ethics work hard and make their money for them. The workers? They have to use the government (food stamps, etc.) to make ends meet. When that's a part of your business plan (and it IS with WalMart) it is about greed. But you're right, it's about the "work ethic" too, and the lack of any work at all to simply allow your billions to make more billions is beyond sanity. Where is the work ethic there?

edit:
    And by the way, NOBODY could actually "work" hard enough to make $25,000.00 per minute from dividends alone.. That's what we're supposed to strive for? That's beyond sick.

You had a chance to buy Walmart stock when it was cheap didn't you? It's their family business, just like bill gates , Oprah and all those rich 1% on the left. I personally can't stand Walmart but they are a huge success and he started out with one little crap store and built it to what it is today. Every business owner goes into it with a goal of being the best. Your best and my best may be something totally different though. Stick your neck out on the line and risk your lively hood then come back and discuss everything you knock about sorry business owners and their practices.

Walking on dead mans legs is what you call it. Folks that were born with more wealth than a normal working class schmuck can imagine. It is what it is. There is not a system in existence that makes life totally fair.

Garin, Nice job of sidestepping the issue of hoarding BILLIONS upon BILLIONS while the taxpayer picks up the tab for many of their workers "benefits."
    Great work ethic those Walton's have!

So would they be able to afford it if they paid them 10 or 11 dollars an hour?

By (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

By Doug Altner

Observe any hiring center for a new Walmart and you will see thousands of individuals eager to become a Walmart associate. Many already have jobs at fast food restaurants, supermarkets, or other retail stores. LaShawn Ross, 29, worked for McDonald’s and Winn-Dixie before taking a job at a brand new Walmart in Pinellas Park, Florida. Ross aptly summarizes the sentiments of many applicants: “They are huge, so I know there is a huge amount of opportunity.”

To Protect The Defenseless, We Must Abolish The Minimum Wage
    Yaron Brook and Don Watkins
    Contributor

By Eliminating Failure, The Government Robs Us Of Success
    Harry Binswanger
    Contributor

Capitalism In No Way Created Poverty, It Inherited It
    Yaron Brook and Don Watkins
    Contributor

The Egalitarian, Anti-Progress Absurdity Of Bank-Capital Requirements
    John Tamny
    Forbes Staff
    Yet, a few pundits, policymakers, and activists insinuate that these people should not be excited, but outraged at the company for its wages—and some groups are even calling for protests on Black Friday.

Walmart “can easily afford to pay $15 an hour,” says Robert Reich, Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy at U.C. Berkeley, who is also urging shoppers to “[B]oycott Walmart on the most important sales day of the year, November 29.” “Their net income was $17 billion,” says Vincent Orange, a D.C. city councilman who voted to force Walmart to pay a minimum wage of $12.50 per hour in the nation’s capital, adding, “You don’t want to share a little bit with the citizens? Come on.” OUR Walmart—a union-backed activist group—accuses the company of showing disrespect to its employees because it doesn’t pay so-called living wages.

Well, nobody has to work at Walmart if he feels underpaid or underappreciated. He can always seek another job. So why do 1.4 million Americans choose to work at Walmart, many for well under $12 per hour?

Many entry-level Walmart jobs consist of comparatively safe and non-strenuous work such as stocking shelves, working cash registers, and changing price labels. Walmart also pays competitive wages, which, for these jobs, are generally under $12 per hour, because these positions require little or no work experience or technical skills. For anyone with modest credentials, these jobs provide good work experience—experience which they can use to eventually land a higher paying job.

Listen to the critics, though, and you’ll hear Walmart portrayed as if it is holding its employees down. But in fact the company offers incredible opportunities for any hard-working, ambitious person who wants to work his way up in retail. Three out of four Walmart store managers started out as hourly associates, and those managers can earn up to $170,000 per year. Some former hourly associates, such as Patricia Curran, have worked their way up to top executive positions. Curran was named by Fortune magazine as one of the 50 most powerful women of 2006. Walmart even encourages associates to complete training courses during fully paid work time and offers raises to associates who complete these courses.

Little wonder that when Walmart opens a new store, it’s not uncommon for as many as 10,000 people to apply for just 300 jobs.

For Walmart, the pay, opportunities, and perks it offers must serve its goals for long-term growth and profitability. It offers training and development because it judges this to be good business. Such programs reward talent, motivate employees and recruit managers with extensive firsthand knowledge of store operations. With regards to wages, the company pays what it needs to in order to recruit an enormous number of competent and content associates. And it recognizes that it does not make business sense to pay more than it needs to.

This is what many Walmart critics detest: the company will not offer higher wages and benefits when it calculates that it will not be good business. According to these critics, every Walmart employee should be paid at least $12-$15 per hour, regardless of the role he fills, regardless of whether he has the skills or experience to justify such a wage, regardless of whether he is a model employee or a slouch, regardless of how many other individuals are willing and able to do his job for less, regardless of whether raising wages will be good for the company’s bottom line. In effect, their premise is that $12+ per hour wages shouldn’t have to be earned or justified; they should be dispensed like handouts.

Walmart’s relationship with its employees is win-win. Every wage that it pays is one that the employee accepts and a large number of individuals have successfully worked their way up the retail giant. So, let’s stop attacking Walmart for paying market wages.

Thread Information