Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ed Shadid Launches Formal Attack on MAPS 3 Conv Center in tandem with Mayoral Bid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Ed Shadid Launches Formal Attack on MAPS 3 Conv Center in tandem with Mayoral Bid

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    So, is there any actual proof that building and operating the convention center is going to line the pockets of the big movers and shakers in the city? Seems like there would be some profit for whichever construction company builds it, but a lot of the money that goes that direction would just be paying wages.

Someone help me out here, because I just don't see the monetary benefit for Larry Nichols, to pick a not-completely-random example.
    I'm not naive enough to believe every aspect of every MAPS project is purely altruistic, and the CC is certainly no exception - and there's really little doubt that the public polling done prior to MAPS3 showed that a proposal for only a CC would not have passed. And I also remember all too keenly a friend of mine, who was driving me through downtown one day (WAAAAAAY before any of this became MAPS3, mind you), pointed to some land and told me "that's where the new convention center is going to be, " and that some folks had been advised to buy some what was otherwise unattractive property in that area....and guess what....that's exactly where its going to be built. So its hard not to scratch your chin and go, "hmmm...." at that.

That said, if we're going to build a CC, we need to do it right, so we've got to figure out the right way to get it done.

Default Re: Ed Shadid Launches Formal Attack on MAPS 3 Conv Center in tandem with Mayoral Bid

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I'm not naive enough to believe every aspect of every MAPS project is purely altruistic, and the CC is certainly no exception - and there's really little doubt that the public polling done prior to MAPS3 showed that a proposal for only a CC would not have passed. And I also remember all too keenly a friend of mine, who was driving me through downtown one day (WAAAAAAY before any of this became MAPS3, mind you), pointed to some land and told me "that's where the new convention center is going to be, " and that some folks had been advised to buy some what was otherwise unattractive property in that area....and guess what....that's exactly where its going to be built. So its hard not to scratch your chin and go, "hmmm...." at that.

That said, if we're going to build a CC, we need to do it right, so we've got to figure out the right way to get it done.
    One of the things that has added to the feeling of heavy-handedness in dealing with this project is the overwhelming influence of Larry Nichols.

This is his baby and everyone knows that. He's been heard saying it's his biggest priority.

Considering the MAPS committees were supposed to be citizen-driven, his huge and disproportionate influence doesn't seem right, regardless of the pureness of his intentions.

Thread Information