Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Ed Shadid Launches Formal Attack on MAPS 3 Conv Center in tandem with Mayoral Bid

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ed Shadid Launches Formal Attack on MAPS 3 Conv Center in tandem with Mayoral Bid

If we are going to build a convention center, let's build something designed to attract Tier II type events which brings in out-of-state money.

High school graduations, proms and local business meetings are great; money being redistributed into our local economy is good because we keep the tax dollars here; however, new money being pumped into our economy perpetuates growth.

1. A convention center is a long-term investment which doesn't always pay for itself as a stand alone facility.
    2. We need do determine what kind of convention city we want to become.
    3. A hotel chain anchor will be needed to grow conventions.
    4. Build facilities (Convention center/Hotel complex) to attract events we're capable of handling.
    5. Management: SMG does give you a broad spectrum to access conventions.

Conventions can often become a city's best advertising & marketing tool which could lead to other economic development; these are the invisible elements which impact a city moving forward.

We are well equipped through Fair Park to handle a number of trade shows and other gatherings; therefore we don't need to build something that's going to be in direct competition of something we already have.

As a city on the verge, there are risks associated with growth. Do we become stagnant or do we move forward while we have the resources and the momentum?

Dallas is a pattern which could provide ideas moving forward.

Dallas Convention Center: Dallas Convention Center - Dallas, Texas Convention Center | Cvent Supplier Network

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ... as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Default Re: Ed Shadid Launches Formal Attack on MAPS 3 Conv Center in tandem with Mayoral Bid

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    it's called the socratic method- been around awhile.
    No..... I've been to law school. I'm somewhat familiar with the method.

Never go full retard, k?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    HS said he was paid 0. Much was specific to OKC so I doubt he does a canned talk. same talk over and over, you're thinking of CS&L.
    You know that how?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The video of the Bricktown Events Center meeting is out? Anyone have a link?
    It's up now..

By my count 90 days is up. What happened?

6. Default Re: Ed Shadid Launches Formal Attack on MAPS 3 Conv Center in tandem with Mayoral Bid

I think the original petition was abandoned for technical reasons and a new one was started. Not sure 90 days has elapsed on that one..?

On the web page it says April 15th. He held a petition update on March 15 and per the Facebook page 26 people went.

Recall that the petition requirements are based on the voter turnout in the most recent election. Considering the very high turnout in the most recent election, I think Shadid's signature threshold is much higher now than had he gotten this in pre-election.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Recall that the petition requirements are based on the voter turnout in the most recent election. Considering the very high turnout in the most recent election, I think Shadid's signature threshold is much higher now than had he gotten this in pre-election.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    I thought it was always 6,000 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I thought it was always 6,000 signatures.
    Looks like you are right about the 6000:
    Signatures sought to raise minimum wage in Oklahoma City | News OK

I was thinking about state-wide petitions apparently.

But there is this, which says that future petitions will need 12,000 signatures:
    Petition signature requirement goes up due to turnout | News OK

Maybe Shadid's petition gets grandfathered in?

But there is this, which says that future petitions will need 12,000 signatures:
    Petition signature requirement goes up due to turnout | News OK

Maybe Shadid's petition gets grandfathered in?
    Looks like you are right about the 6000:
    Signatures sought to raise minimum wage in Oklahoma City | News OK

I was thinking about state-wide petitions apparently.
    Not sure. That is interesting. Maybe since he started it before the election it is 6,000 but if the language was not right it might have had to be redone and is now 12,000?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Not sure. That is interesting. Maybe since he started it before the election it is 6,000 but if the language was not right it might have had to be redone and is now 12,000?
    It's funny how quiet he has gone on this since losing the election... you would almost think he was only doing it to get votes...

pandering for votes? if so, that seems almost dredful

Just saw this on Twitter:

WILLIAM CRUM @WILLIAMCRUM · 44m
    Advocates of initiative to call vote on MAPS 3 convention center miss deadline to submit signatures. #OKC #MAPS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCinsomniac View Post
    Just saw this on Twitter:

WILLIAM CRUM @WILLIAMCRUM · 44m
    Advocates of initiative to call vote on MAPS 3 convention center miss deadline to submit signatures. #OKC #MAPS

Thanks for the good news for now!

Heard that the 6,000 signatures needed to recall the convention center for a vote had already been collected?

Maybe Dr. Ed Shadid has found time to chill following the election.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Thanks for the good news for now!

Heard that the 6,000 signatures needed to recall the convention center for a vote had already been collected?

Maybe he's realized people aren't buying his crap...?

My prediction: this turns into yet another Ed-head conspiracy theory.

(1) Ed had the signatures but was blackmailed/had his family threatened by "downtown business interests" (hint; the name rhymes with Hairy Pickles).

(2) The signatures were stolen from Ed's home by a team of burglars. Ed didn't file a police report or go to the press, yet. He doesn't want to tip his hand. He's digging for more. Seeing how deep this thing really goes.

(3) Ed had the signatures in time, but he discovered that buried underneath the new convention center is the Arc of the Covenant. This, he realizes, is the real reason Cornett wants the CC built so badly. Shadid must keep it out of Cornett's hands! The only sure way to do it is to allow the project to go forward and then take the Arc to safety. To get the Arc he'll need to form a team of infamous safe-crackers, hackers, triggermen, Chinese acrobats, getaway drivers and one sultry femme-fatale. Will he succeed?

One City Councilor. One Covert Operation. One Chance To Save The World.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Maybe the signatures got rolled up into little papers and smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Or maybe he actually went to a meeting in the CCC and then went to another one out of town (anywhere really) and realized there was a need for a new convention center AND an adjacent hotel.

My prediction: this turns into yet another Ed-head conspiracy theory.

(1) Ed had the signatures but was blackmailed/had his family threatened by "downtown business interests" (hint; the name rhymes with Hairy Pickles).

(2) The signatures were stolen from Ed's home by a team of burglars. Ed didn't file a police report or go to the press, yet. He doesn't want to tip his hand. He's digging for more. Seeing how deep this thing really goes.

(3) Ed had the signatures in time, but he discovered that buried underneath the new convention center is the Arc of the Covenant. This, he realizes, is the real reason Cornett wants the CC built so badly. Shadid must keep it out of Cornett's hands! The only sure way to do it is to allow the project to go forward and then take the Arc to safety. To get the Arc he'll need to form a team of infamous safe-crackers, hackers, triggermen, Chinese acrobats, getaway drivers and one sultry femme-fatale. Will he succeed?

One City Councilor. One Covert Operation. One Chance To Save The World.
    You missed the part about the Chamber Junta. Where do they come in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information