Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steak and Catfish

Default Re: Steak and Catfish

Best catfish in the city is grill on the hill down in Capitol Hill district on 25th

Garin,
    That might be true, but they aren't in my neighborhood. And since I'm old and feeble with a slight handicap, I can't run to the Grill on the Hill very often. Actually, the Grant high school class of 61 holds a breakfast there each month and I have been there many times and I enjoy their food and service. I started this thread about the Steak and Catfish Barn but left off the proper name when I started it, so it's open to any posts about steak or catfish.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Best catfish in the city is grill on the hill down in Capitol Hill district on 25th

Garin,
    Your comment made me think of another pretty good place. Have you been to McGehee's in Marietta West of I-35? The last time I was there it was really good, but it's been a few years since I stopped ther.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Klop,
    I took a friend from London and she is very picky about cleanliness (not because of where she's from, just her "thing") and it was clean and as I said before, the food was really good, not great but just good. My friend said the grilled chicken was really moist. Maybe your family hit them on a bad day. I will go back and watch for any problems and report back. It's a shame to give up on a newly opened place after one visit.
    C. T.
    Good deal. I will let them know. I am looking forward to going there myself. Thanks

This thread reminded me that someone on here once said a gas station on NW 178th/May had great catfish (yeah, I know), so I tried it a couple of days ago. Weirdly and gladly, they were right! Nice sized filets (over 8" long, 2-3" wide), $2.29 each, didn't taste catfish-y (y'all know what I mean) or crumble when you forked it. Not cornmeal breaded, some other kind, but it all holds together really well, breading was nicely seasoned, just good. Okie Express is the name, SW corner of NW 178th/May. Going back, wife wants to try their egg rolls, looks like they have a grill (not totally sure about that, though) and a fryer and that's it, not healthy at all, but it's a gas station. :-P

6. Default Re: Steak and Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This thread reminded me that someone on here once said a gas station on NW 178th/May had great catfish (yeah, I know), so I tried it a couple of days ago. Weirdly and gladly, they were right! Nice sized filets (over 8" long, 2-3" wide), $2.29 each, didn't taste catfish-y (y'all know what I mean) or crumble when you forked it. Not cornmeal breaded, some other kind, but it all holds together really well, breading was nicely seasoned, just good. Okie Express is the name, SW corner of NW 178th/May. Going back, wife wants to try their egg rolls, looks like they have a grill (not totally sure about that, though) and a fryer and that's it, not healthy at all, but it's a gas station. :-P
    I've been in there dozens of times, but never knew about the catfish. I'll definitely check it out next time. I'm a sucker for good catfish. Haven't found any yet that can top my mother in-law's though.
    Last edited by MadMonk; 04-09-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added quote for clarity

Garin,
    Your comment made me think of another pretty good place. Have you been to McGehee's in Marietta West of I-35? The last time I was there it was really good, but it's been a few years since I stopped ther.
    C. T.
    Yup been there , and Punkins when they were open was good too... Also a place called Libby's in Washington that is darn good as well.

Not much of a catfish eater but I do like Cajun Kings.

Garin,
    I forgot about Punkin's, aren't they in Ardmore? I just googled Punkin's and it's in Pauls Valley.
    C. T.
    Yup been there , and Punkins when they were open was good too... Also a place called Libby's in Washington that is darn good as well.
    Last edited by ctchandler; 04-10-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: I found the location.

Somebody should open a restaurant called "Noodlin'". They could offer catfish done lots of different ways served over various forms of pasta.

As an extra draw, they could have a big tank from which you could catch your fish, by hand, before you tell them how you want it prepared.

nah. catfish needs hushpuppies, greasy fried taters, some cole slaw for those who like that sort of thing, corn cobbletts for me and the rest of them that don't, sweet tea, and some very, very cold banana puddin'. That's a dinner folks, a right fine one at that. Oh, and lightnin' bugs for the wee ones ta chase about whist the big folk enjoy some more sweet tea.

12. Default Re: Steak and Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    nah. catfish needs hushpuppies, greasy fried taters, some cole slaw for those who like that sort of thing, corn cobbletts for me and the rest of them that don't, sweet tea, and some very, very cold banana puddin'. That's a dinner folks, a right fine one at that. Oh, and lightnin' bugs for the wee ones ta chase about whist the big folk enjoy some more sweet tea.
    You've got a way with words that makes a catfish dinner sound like something in a Norman Rockwell painting. I bet your voice sounds like Morgan Freeman too.

Several times in my life there have been folks comment I have a voice for radio. Of course, if a brother or some friend who might as well be one was within earshot, there was often the quick quip uttered that I also have a face for radio.

Family, gotta love them.

KD's has really good catfish as well

Prunepicker Guest

I drove by there today around 1:00 and there were lots of cars. Hopefully
    their reputation will draw a lot of the long time customers and keep it
    going at that terrible location. I'm looking forward to trying it. Visit their
    web page (see link below), warning, they have unsolicited music. It is
    pleasant, soft music.
    C. T.

Dino and Maria's Steak and Catfish Restaurant
    PM me when you'll be there and I'll try to meet you. I like catfish.

We live right around the corner from Okie Express and go there often. I'm not a big catfish eater (or any fried fish) but theirs is outstanding. All of their deli foods are good but not exceptional like the catfish. They do have a small grill and serve burgers and other things. The area service workers stop there in the morning for non-Ethanol gas and then come back for lunch so the place is usually packed at those times. Best of all, they have a decent selection of soft drinks from Mexico including Mexican Coke, Jarito's and a Sangria flavored soft drink that has to be tasted to be believed.

Glad you posted, forgot to post my follow-up...

Went back with the wife on a Sat afternoon, she got catfish, eggroll, and drumstick, I got catfish, meat pie, and drumstick. We put the drumsticks and my meat pie in the oven on low to stay warm while we did the catfish. Drumsticks turned out great after being heated up a bit, meat pie was decent (nicely spiced filling with onions, meat), she said the eggroll wasn't great, but was better than the same eggroll that every damn Chinese place here has, and the catfish was great again. They also have "bbq burritos", burritos (but if they're fried, aren't they really chimichangas?), cheese sticks, jalapenos, and a few other fried things. We'll go back for snacks every so often, and didn't realize this until my wife pointed it out, but they actually have a dining area with about 8 booths on the other side of the cashier counter, so we can actually get it and eat it there next time.

Yeah, I've been to Okie Express in west Edmond many times as well. For a gas station, their food is pretty damn good. Their pizza and burgers are solid, but the catfish and fried chicken is where it's at. As long as you get it fresh. I will have to say that they have the best fried catfish I have ever had. The store needs a face lift though; it's pretty old and needs some tlc.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Yeah, I've been to Okie Express in west Edmond many times as well. For a gas station, their food is pretty damn good. Their pizza and burgers are solid, but the catfish and fried chicken is where it's at. As long as you get it fresh. I will have to say that they have the best fried catfish I have ever had. The store needs a face lift though; it's pretty old and needs some tlc.
    Are you talking about the one on May near 178th? I live very close to that place and have never been in - sounds like I need to go soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD_NorthOKC View Post
    Are you talking about the one on May near 178th? I live very close to that place and have never been in - sounds like I need to go soon.
    Yep, that's it, SW corner of NW 178th/May. You won't be disappointed by the catfish, other stuff maybe, but not the catfish.

The BBQ burritos are one of my favorites and I even like their pepperoni/jalapeno pizza. If you can find their teriyaki chicken it's decent but I think they sell fast. Their pizza pocket is good if you cut off about 3/4" around the edge. I hadn't seen one of those in years! My wife loves the fried chicken but I'm not sure I've tried. The meat pockets used to be my favorite but that flaky crust has to be 100% hydrogenated vegetable oil. It's a great place to pick up a quick dinner when we don't feel like cooking.

I went there yesterday and had the catfish. It was very good. I will go back.
    C. T.

I went there yesterday and had the catfish. It was very good. I will go back.
    C. T.
    Glad you liked it! Just found out last week that they stop cooking/frying at about 3 PM (couldn't leave with empty hands, so got their last 2 catfish and chicken teriyakis, they were only an hour old, lol), so if you want fresh, go before then...

TheTravellers,
    I'm assuming you mean "stop cooking/frying" for lunch. They serve dinner till 9 and I would hope it was fried at time of order then.
    C. T.
    Glad you liked it! Just found out last week that they stop cooking/frying at about 3 PM (couldn't leave with empty hands, so got their last 2 catfish and chicken teriyakis, they were only an hour old, lol), so if you want fresh, go before then...

TheTravellers,
    I'm assuming you mean "stop cooking/frying" for lunch. They serve dinner till 9 and I would hope it was fried at time of order then.
    C. T.
    Interesting, I went in at 4-ish one day, nobody was at the grill, he said they stop at about 2-3 unless they're super-busy, but I guess neither one of us thought to ask/tell about dinner frying hours, I just assumed he meant stopped for the day. Good to know they do it in the evenings, never thought of a gas station having hours like an upscale restaurant (open for lunch, closed between 2-5, open at 5 for dinner), lol!

Thread Information