Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    BTW, I know this isn't just me because when I was pulling my driveway, my neighbor was standing in the driveway and I stopped and talked to him and he said he was trying to figure out where the noise was coming from and though it might be coming from the sky, but I disagreed as it just started after the initial quake. My sister is in her room and and could feel them to. There has had to be around 100+ plus of these little booms I have heard. This is crazy.
    Panda...No it's not just you. My wife and I also felt numerous aftershocks...it went on for several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by pedmond View Post
    Panda...No it's not just you. My wife and I also felt numerous aftershocks...it went on for several hours.
    If this represents a change in characteristics of Oklahoma earthquake activity, I wonder if earth scientists would have an opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Are you okay Plupan ?
    Yeah man! I'm good now.

Got back from class at OCCC, went to Dairy Queen with mah grandmother, and now working at my dads car lot. I really didn't mind them but they were kind of creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by pedmond View Post
    Glad to hear I wasn't going insane. It started with initial earthquake and went on from there. These were very strange though.

5. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Just felt a pretty good one (or at least close) at 5:30am - had to grab my coffee cup before it fell off my desk.

Edmond - East 15th and I-35.

Was just woke up by a quake. I have to say I've never felt an Oklahoma earthquake until now.

7. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

That one woke me up in Norman...well I started "hearing it" in a dream and then the better half woke me up. LOL

that one had to be a 4.+, it shook for quite awhile

The dog just sat up in bed and was like wha?

That was a good one! .. over here by Santa Fe & Memorial. Biggest jolt I've felt in a long time. And a slightly smaller jolt immediately following.

Just woke up too, wasn't sure if it was real or not.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

USGS says the one at 5:31am was a 3.5, but I felt like there was a stronger 'aftershock' somewhere around 5:45?

13. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

The second one was strong enough it shook the house to the point two door sensors separated enough to set off the house alarm!

14. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

2nd one will probably be mid 4-ish. With that, I'm going back to bed. Working these evenings isn't fun.

I never felt anything at 5:31. ... Just the two quick jolts and shake at about 5:45-5:50 ... Strange.

I didn't feel the 5:31 one, either. The 5:45 one felt like a jolt and then a wave.

The first one appears to have been epicentered in the heart of Edmond.

17. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

4.2 USGS 4.5 Oklahoma GS.

Is that the biggest one yet?

19. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

According to the chart above it makes the 9th this year between 4.0 and 4.9.

It may be the highest in magnitude so far this year. But the 2011 one was a 5.6.

Keep the earthquakes coming. Its sad but people are going to have to get hurt before the states choose to finally address the cause.

We had minor damage to our brand new home and about two weeks ago had pretty major cracking (3_4 inch crack) in our neighborhood pool People are beginning to realize there are cost associated with these quakes instead of just Internet me me, s of plastic chairs falling over.

22. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ylouder View Post
    Keep the earthquakes coming. Its sad but people are going to have to get hurt before the states choose to finally address the cause...
    So...you're rooting for someone to be hurt?

Not at all. But having the state refuse to research the cause of dozen of daily earthquakes that have been increasing in frequency and strength since 2007 has gone on for too long. If thousands of earthquakes a year isn't a wake up call I don't understand what would be.

There have been dozens of high profile earthquake related descrution on the news over the last few years with St Gregorys towers falling, major foundation and brick damage near epicenters for homeowners and still no action. I can't even begin to imagine the untold loss of millions of dollars with millions of people being forced to make minor repairs to sheetrock, bricks, plumbing -- let alone the millions in cost of insurance riders on people's home policies.

So if the state and industry wants to continue to pretend that nothing is the matter and this events are normal....then as I said...keep the earthquakes coming and it's sad but people are going to have to get hurt before the state chooses to finally address the cause.

For the life of me I can't understand how public opinion at this point is let's continue to do nothing.

Am I correct to infer that this round of quakes was felt along what seems to be a fairly long north-south corridor, but within a relatively narrower east-west breadth?

I woke up just after my normal time this AM to find my cell phone lit up with texts from a family member who lives quite literally just a few miles away (<5) telling of the earthquake, but not a soul in our house was awakened by any of it. We're in SW OKC a few miles SSE of the airport...

Thread Information