Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 22 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

1. Default 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Seismograms in Oklahoma

Wichita Mountains Seismogram Tulsa Seismogram

Earthquake Records for the Year

Magnitude January February March April May June July August September October November December Total
    Under 2.0 114 292 143 125 129 51 75 24

2.0 to 2.9 111 201 294 329 278 226 319 135

3.0 to 3.9 14 33 43 51 36 49 36 26

4.0 to 4.9 0 1 3 4 0 4 5 0

5.0 or higher 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Total 239 527 483 509 443 330 435 185

Avg Per Day 7.71 18.82 15.58 16.97 14.29 11.35 14.03 10.28

List Updated: 8/18/2014 4:45 PM CDT

Some important links...

Wilzetta Fault Map: http://www.ogs.ou.edu/earthquakes/Wilzetta2%20(2).pdf
    Oklahoma Geological Map w/ Fault: http://www.ogs.ou.edu/geolmapping/Ge...ces_OF5-95.pdf
    Oklahoma Seismic Stations Map: Leonard Geophysical Observatory - Oklahoma Seismic Stations

2. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Looks like total quake reports for Oklahoma per the OGS catalog for 2013 had us with 2,808 measured quakes.

Mag 4.0 or higher: 3 ( 4/16 4.4 & 4.2 and 12/7 of 4.8)
    Mag 3.0 to 3.9: 105
    Mag 2.0 to 2.9: 952
    Under 2.0: 1748

So playing with the numbers that is over 7 quakes per day. Around two magnitude 3.0 or higher quakes per week. Welcome to the new normal.

Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Only California and Alaska have been more lively for earthquakes.

The "new normal" is taking some adjustment for THIS nearly lifelong Oklahoma resident. I actually caught myself in the theater the other night wondering if the shaking in my seat was an earthquake, completely overlooking the oversized foot from the lunkhead sitting behind me using the back of my seat as a footrest.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Only California and Alaska have been more lively for earthquakes.
    And I mean of all the states, not to include world wide.

6. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Well according to the OGS site, so far we are pushing around 10 quakes per day so far. Nothing has been added for today yet, and just a couple that were over 3.0 so far so the rest likely weren't felt.

Ho hum, it was kind of a quiet day today with only three ranging from 3.2 to 3.7.

Earthquakes

8. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Ho hum, it was kind of a quiet day today with only three ranging from 3.2 to 3.7.

Earthquakes
    Yeah...unfortunately it doesn't catch all of them that the OGS gets, but their site hasn't updated since the 2nd.

Wasn't sure which thread to add this to, since it bridges both weather and earthquakes, but it didn't seem to merit its own thread... so I'll post here...

Canada is so cold residents are experiencing loud booms caused by 'frost quakes'

Okay, just got a very unsettled call from my mom in S. OKC who swears she just sat through an earthquake - even heard some wall hangings rumble. Haven't seen or heard a thing about it anywhere. Anyone?

11. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Okay, just got a very unsettled call from my mom in S. OKC who swears she just sat through an earthquake - even heard some wall hangings rumble. Haven't seen or heard a thing about it anywhere. Anyone?
    Haven't seen anything for this afternoon come across. One very weak one (2.1) this morning around 5AM and that is it.

Also the list is updated in the article now as the OGS started updating again.

12. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Earthquake tally updated. No quakes added to the catalog for today yet. For the first ten days of January we are at 94, or 9.4 per day which is above our 2013 average.

Whenever I feel an earthquake in SW OKC (which is next to never), I always wonder if it is just a big one on the east side of town, or the outer edge of a huge one on the New Madrid fault. When we had that big one a couple of years ago, the house just shimmered from north to south - so weird. I turned on the news expecting Missouri to have dropped into a hole.

14. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Earthquake tally is updated. Interesting to note, we've gone 11 days now with a 3.0 or higher magnitude quake. We averaged 2 per week last year, so it could be argued we are behind now.

I think I felt and heard a brief earthquake in Stillwater at 12:50pm. My guess around 3.0 M, or less.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Earthquake tally is updated. Interesting to note, we've gone 11 days now with a 3.0 or higher magnitude quake. We averaged 2 per week last year, so it could be argued we are behind now.
    All the fracking must have stopped!

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Hmmm..either the pressures that were causing them last year have substantially been released for now, or the absence of such pressure releases is actually leading up to a whopper down the road...

18. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Hmmm..either the pressures that were causing them last year have substantially been released for now, or the absence of such pressure releases is actually leading up to a whopper down the road...
    Looks like we have been mostly quiet now for 2 days straight. No reported quakes of any magnitude from OGS. Now the question is, which scenario is it. I'm more on the side of things building up to a 4.0+ again or several 3.0+ in rapid order to deal with the pressure building up. It would be nice if things were getting quieter now, but I just don't see how such an active swarm would just go quiet so quickly.

Keep in mind, the industry will frack less according to how much cold weather, at least that's what i've read. Now if fracking is related to the earthquakes, I have no idea...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I think I felt and heard a brief earthquake in Stillwater at 12:50pm. My guess around 3.0 M, or less.
    The earthquake I experienced turned up as recorded plus another one later that morning shortly before noon. I also felt that one. They were under 3.0 and centered just several miles from Stillwater. I'm glad the ones below 3.0 can barely be felt and probably more impressive for the brief not very far distant thunder like noise that make.
    Recent Oklahoma Earthquakes

Nice earthquake just now in North Edmond

Nothing has registered on my MyQuake app but I'm sure it will soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Nothing has registered on my MyQuake app but I'm sure it will soon enough.
    Do you live in Edmond? If you did, I don't know how you couldn't feel it, although some people didn't feel that huge one a year ago lol... this one was the biggest I've felt since that one back in a few months ago.

The Friday quake near Edmond registered 2.3, certainly no stronger than either one of the two quakes near Stillwater earlier in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Do you live in Edmond? If you did, I don't know how you couldn't feel it, although some people didn't feel that huge one a year ago lol... this one was the biggest I've felt since that one back in a few months ago.
    Nope, I live in NW OKC. There were a couple the other day up around Stillwater. But I know what you mean, I felt one in Edmond one night that didn't register and it was a nice lil sway.

Thread Information