Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 171819202122

Thread: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

1. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Here is the 2015 thread, so for the delay...

2015 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion - OKCTalk

Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Just out of curiosity, will the new parking garages on the Preftakes block be built to withstand 5.0+ quakes? What are the current buildings in OKC designed to handle without structural damage?
    I don't recall hearing anything about parking garages in OKC having any problems after the 5.6 quake we had in 2011.

With some help from Texas, the earthquake lull is over with. Perry, Guthrie, Edmond and Langston areas continue to be the hottest areas with northwest Oklahoma not far behind.

4. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    So I am frustrated at the message OGS puts out there compared to USGS. If you go to the USGS website, you'll see buried on it somewhere is a discussion that they have had proof since the 1970s that waste water injection sites can cause seismic activity. You can also find articles that state they haven proven beyond reasonable doubt that Oklahoma's largest earthquake ever was directly caused by an injection well that was operating too close to a fault line.

Every time I see the same dude trotted out by OGS to talk to the media, he talks in terms of this quake being hard to link to that injection site. I get that, and I know what he's saying, but I find what he's saying misleading. Maybe he has said it, and I haven't heard it, but I don't recall hearing any acknowledgement from OGS that these waste sites can cause seismic activity. We are well beyond some theoretical science here. We know these wells can cause tremors. It would be nice to hear OGS acknowledge that. I feel like they're ignoring that very significant data point by constantly shifting the discussion to "well, I don't know about this specific well and it's correlation to that specific quake...." It smacks of half-truths.
    That's something I said last year. Here are some interesting articles just published on the same subject:

Emails describe meetings between oil industry, earthquake researchers | News OK

EARTHQUAKES: Okla. agency linked quakes to oil in 2010, but kept mum amid industry pressure -- Tuesday, March 3, 2015 -- www.eenews.net

At 10:24 pm I felt a strong shock at NW 122 and Council. TV reports it as a 4.0...

It must have been very localized. I live in NW OKC and didn't notice anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It must have been very localized. I live in NW OKC and didn't notice anything.
    I live in NW OKC and it was very noticeable!

I was dozing and it woke me up in time to hear a loud "BANG!" followed by a very low diminishing rumble that lasted just a few seconds. My wife said it shook the house but I didn't feel the movement, although that must have been what awakened me.

It had a pretty sudden shaking/noise bit at first, and then a long, lighter rumbling vibration that went on for a few seconds. Felt longer than the other ones we've had for the last few years.

At 11:02 we felt a weaker aftershock; OGS lists it at 3.3 and it rattled glass sliding doors in some display cabinets. Location was approximately the same. USGS shows the first one being 10 km down and the second only 5.

12. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Got a long very noticeable rumble in Edmond by the Sam's Club. No jolt though.

I live just south of Mercy hospital and felt both the really strong jolt at around 10:30 and the weaker aftershock around 20-30 minutes later. I was asleep at the time, and that first jolt was so strong it almost felt like something hit the house.

178th & Western area. Just a large jolt and rumble tapering off. No rumble leading up to it. lasted maybe 3-4 seconds total.

Thread Information