Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

In Stillwater, for the one shortly after 11am, my house felt it more than I did. The house made a creaking noise for a second. I hardly sensed any shaking or heard thunder in the distance. The seismogram doesn't seem to look like it was one of those baby, under 3.0 quakes. We'll see.

2. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

OGS Earthquakes@OKearthquakes 21s
    Magnitude 4.4 at 2014-04-07 11:03:03.930000 (CDT) 5.1 miles SSW of Coyle; 35.890,-97.273,z=5.2km

3. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

This is going to put the quake in the same area as the 4.2 yesterday.

Oh, dang! This one at 11:38 am came with a rather loud distant thundering noise this time. It was certainly more startling than the previous one. I'm glad it only lasted about a second.

So... here's a question... why is the Oklahoma Geological Survey earthquake rating typically significantly higher than the USGS earthquake rating? Is OGS looking for more publicity with better attention-grabbing headlines that the local media then likes to trumpet over the USGS number(s)?

Case in point:
    Name:  BkofWFvCAAA61oi.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  41.1 KB

6. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

7. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    So... here's a question... why is the Oklahoma Geological Survey earthquake rating typically significantly higher than the USGS earthquake rating? Is OGS looking for more publicity with better attention-grabbing headlines that the local media then likes to trumpet over the USGS number(s)
    I believe they use different methods of measuring so they aren't going to be the same. Nothing sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    I believe they use different methods of measuring so they aren't going to be the same. Nothing sinister.
    Just makes for mixed messaging easily exploitable by the media... I would think that the USGS, with its wider coverage and influence, would be the standard bearer, but smaller numbers don't make for quite as dramatic headlines. Not necessarily faulting OGS for that, just wondering why they wouldn't calibrate their methods to achieve closer results to line up with the standard bearer.

9. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    Just makes for mixed messaging easily exploitable by the media... I would think that the USGS, with its wider coverage and influence, would be the standard bearer, but smaller numbers don't make for quite as dramatic headlines. Not necessarily faulting OGS for that, just wondering why they wouldn't calibrate their methods to achieve closer results to line up with the standard bearer.
    I think it also depends where USGS is getting their data. I would imagine OGS has a more local network and USGS might be using a reporting station out of state. OGS did bring their number down to 4.3 at last look.

10. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Updated the list and things are definitely off to a fast start for April.

12. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Maybe these will get ODOT to speed up on replacing them. :-P

Maybe these will get ODOT to speed up on replacing them. :-P
    I don't see that happening, as the Oklahoma Legislature is voting on reducing by half their "off-the-top" money to increase funding in education.

Holy sh*t that one woke me me up they're getting bigger

Multiple aftershocks... That had to be above a 2.0...im guessing 5.0 or a little bigger

Felt a boom and my desk shook at work. I-40 and Morgan.

omg... its horrible!!!! there blood everywhere and screaming!!! WHAT IS GOING ON! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? what.....is that? holy...

naaaaa, i'm just kiddin. it did wake me up though.

18. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Hmmm...heard the rumble but didn't feel anything. I doubt it would be anywhere near 5.0 with no shaking down here.

19. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

4.1 per USGS

Hmmm...heard the rumble but didn't feel anything. I doubt it would be anywhere near 5.0 with no shaking down here.
    Man, then maybe the earthquake wizard is playing a late April fools joke on me because that shook pretty darn good for about 10-15 seconds and I just kind of laid there and thought "ok" and then it shook again for another 3 seconds and then again after that. They seem to be getting bigger though.

That's so weird how I'll feel a smaller one and then like the other day we'll a 4.5 and I won't feel it

21. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Yeah.... It's saying this was only a 4.1.... I wonder if some 4.1s are bugger than others though

Didn't feel anything or remember hearing anything here in Norman!

24. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah.... It's saying this was only a 4.1.... I wonder if some 4.1s are bugger than others though
    I think depth and location can play a role in how it is felt, even if the magnitude is the same. Usually anything over 4.0 we would normally always feel here in Norman, but now it is hit or miss.

A 3.7 hit in the same area about 45 min. later. In Stillwater didn't feel or hear it or the stronger earlier one, or the two weaker ones near Perry that also hit early Thursday morning.

Thread Information