Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    That looks familiar... just a few posts above (#102)...

My bad!

Another one this AM, in the Spencer area...

M3.0 - 4km NE of Spencer, Oklahoma 2014-02-24 11:20:49 UTC

Although I guess, as Venture pointed out, 3.0's are the new normal, so I guess these aren't quite that big a deal anymore..

..Unless you're the one whose Post Toasties got sloshed out of its bowl

3. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Another one this AM, in the Spencer area...

M3.0 - 4km NE of Spencer, Oklahoma 2014-02-24 11:20:49 UTC

Although I guess, as Venture pointed out, 3.0's are the new normal, so I guess these aren't quite that big a deal anymore..

..Unless you're the one whose Post Toasties got sloshed out of its bowl
    LOL...of course if they are right on top of the epicenter I think even a high 2 pointer would be news to that person.

Over the weekend, one of our old family farms had 3 quakes hit on it within 24 hours, section 17-18N-1W. This is about 5 miles southeast of Mulhall. They were from 3.5 to 2.5 magnitude.

7. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

An employee of mine lives in Guthrie and also has a side job maintaining a number of rental houses in and around Guthrie. He's had one under-slab water line break in his house and two others in rental units in the last week. Coincidence or earthquake damage? Who knows?

Friday happened to turn out to be Earthquake Freedom Day in Oklahoma. No earthquakes of 2.0M or above happened that day. But they resumed to at least 3 above 2.0 on Saturday, and so far, 6 for Sunday. I just heard one of them boom in the distance, while barely feeling a shake. It registered 2.6M, 6 mi. east northeast of Stillwater at 7:54PM. The strongest one for Sunday has been 3.2, south of Ponca City.

Citizens take their concerns about the earthquakes to the wrong government body:

County residents seek drilling moratorium » Local News » Stillwater NewsPress

With a scary way to end the story, “You don’t know what’s happening underground.”

At 7:53 pm another earthquake happened near Stillwater with the brief sound of distant thunder and little shake. No wonder. OGS page indicates it registered 2.4M, centered ENE of Stillwater, one of the state's most active areas. It seems lately these earthquakes have had a tendency of more often staying under 3.0.

In addition, kust noticed the OGS page indicates another earthquake happened only about 10 minutes later, centered near the same spot as the above one. I don't recall sensing that one. No wonder. It was weaker, registering only 2.1M.

11. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Earthquake table updated. Very active February and March is already starting out in similar fashion.

The epicenter of the 3.6 earthquake this morning at about 8:19 was less than two miles from my home. The house rattled pretty good/bad for a couple of seconds. Then we felt another one at 9:49 but it wasn't as strong. It hasn't shown up at OGS yet.
    C. T.

13. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Not Oklahoma but...6.9 quake off northern California coast.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Not Oklahoma but...6.9 quake off northern California coast.
    Maybe Whale migration. Pooting off coast. The Gray's should be heading north with their babies.

15. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Earthquake list has been updated. March is averaging under February now, but for the year we ticked up slightly.

Oil companies are also being blamed by rural residents for being behind fires getting started. Interestingly enough, the area in the article referred to, North West Point Rd., is not real far from where recent earthquakes have centered east of Stillwater.

http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x1...rural-resident

3 today in OK and 2 in southern Kansas?
    9 since yesterday morning.

Pretty crazy...

The game caller called the earthquake, but apparently a lot of other people didn't for this 2.8 earthquake. The way the camera shook for such a weak quake, though, it makes me wonder if it was real. Oh, well, if telephoto was used, wouldn't it exaggerate a minor shake? With no sound like thunder heard, it makes me further wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The game caller called the earthquake, but apparently a lot of other people didn't for this 2.8 earthquake. The way the camera shook for such a weak quake, though, I gotta call that part of the video faked. With no sound like thunder heard, maybe the whole thing was faked.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that camera was sitting in deep center-field, and hence was zoomed waay the heck into get that (relatively) tight shot of the pitcher-batter's box setup. Anytime you zoom that much, even the slightest vibration can be drastically exaggerated. Maybe they need to start using steadicams for baseball videos in Stillwater LOL

20. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that camera was sitting in deep center-field, and hence was zoomed waay the heck into get that (relatively) tight shot of the pitcher-batter's box setup. Anytime you zoom that much, even the slightest vibration can be drastically exaggerated. Maybe they need to start using steadicams for baseball videos in Stillwater LOL
    Yeah...a slight gust of wind could have done that as well.

Statement from City of Stillwater Emergency Management Agency on Recent Seismic Activity: Welcome to City of Stillwater, Oklahoma

Surely scientists need data from oil companies, but are they supplying what's needed?
    http://www.stwnewspress.com/opinion/...s-needed-in-OK

Much activity in Logan County this evening. I felt four. WooHoo!

24. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Prelim 4.0 this evening...

25. Default Re: 2014 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Looks like there were about 5 foreshocks during the hour before the larger quake.

Thread Information