Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tommy's Italian-American Grill

Default Re: Tommy's Italian-American Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Look, I know that taste is incredibly subjective, but I simply cannot agree. I went there last night. There were two other parties there. Both of them raved about their meals to the FOH (who I think was a part owner). We never smelled anything good (or bad) when we came in. We were seated in crappy seats that were uncomfortable. The decor was horrendous (Robert Irvine would have a fun time dissing it). The service was OK, but the food -- it was incredibly disappointing. No taste or flavor. My wife got the linguine with white clam sauce and I got the sausage cacciatore. The dishes we absolutely swimming in un-drained noodles. The sausage (which their menu claimed was trucked down from Chicago) was tasteless. The clams (which their menu claimed were sauteed in a white wine sauce) were flavorless and clearly from a can. Incredibly disappointing. I do a pretty good job cooking Italian cuisine, so I have pretty high expectations when I go out (I mean, if I can do it, it must be easy). Bella Vista did NOT come close to meeting any of my expectations.
    This is a mom and pop business so more than likely, the FOH was Dina who along with her husband Milt own and run the place. Milt does the cooking. Sorry it was disappointing as we absolutely love Bella Vista but like you said, taste is subjective. I agree that the décor would drive Irvine nuts and the service is slow but prices are excellent and portions are more than plentiful I get the lasagna or baked ziti and have never soggy noodles. My kids love the food and love Milt and Dina with our meal always starting with hugs and ending with hugs as our kids have grown up eating there.

Back to Tommy's, I hope it lasts, because I don't want to see places near my home starting turning over so soon (although I know it's inevitable). We've only eaten there once, a post church lunch with a little one. Thought it was good but maybe too fancy for us to go back to with her (now 5). When we've had date nights we haven't considered it. Would like to check it out in the spring when the patio is open.

Been there twice, and didn't care for it either time. Theres better Italian out there , I'm always in search of a new place to eat, I'll usually give a place a few times and after that I generally won't go back. I'm a big fan of Pepperoni Grill and think it would be a good fit for that spot, they are having a great success on their recent expansion to Edmond. Great food , good service, and a fair price.

I have not tried Tommys yet but it's on my to due list. Flips is my favorite Italian joint.

Blog Entries

This may have been mentioned somewhere else, but I noticed that a Bricktown Brewery location is going into the old Tommy’s on Memorial. “Coming soon” sign is up.

I live really close by Tommy's. I didn't realize it went under. Ate there only once when it opened up. Bricktown Brewery. MEH!

It didn't go under. It's been a few months but the owner is retaking over his original concept of Bellinis. Good for both sites in my opinion.
    https://newsok.com/article/5628164/b...ly-exaggerated

Blog Entries

I saw that Tommy Byrd Rest. Group sold the real estate for $2.425 mill. Interested to hear the timing on the opening of the Bricktown Brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I'm partial to Vito's or Papa Dios. Haven't tried Tommys yet.
    My wife and I recently tried Papa Dios for the first time.
    I'm not sure why is it so popular. The ambience was nice. But the food was olive garden level.
    And I think something was wrong with my wife's alfredo sauce. I tried a bite and it tasted like straight sour cream

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    My wife and I recently tried Papa Dios for the first time.
    I'm not sure why is it so popular. The ambience was nice. But the food was olive garden level.
    And I think something was wrong with my wife's alfredo sauce. I tried a bite and it tasted like straight sour cream
    Sorry that was your experience. We go often and really have never had a bad meal there. Definitely a huge jump up from Olive Garden. Olive Garden pasta is always over cooked and sauces without much flavor. Not so at Papa Dios. Good ambiance and service too.

Thread Information