Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neighbor's dog barking

Default Re: Neighbor's dog barking

Quote Originally Posted by KenRagsdale View Post
    If it feels cold outside to you, it feels cold outside to an animal.
    You're a moron; have you ever heard of Musk Ox? I understand you weren't referring to that, but jeeze.

Love this new world we live in, can't spank your kids and can't even leave a dog outside like 99% used to be lol

yeah... let's make our point without calling people "morons." -M

From the other side of the fence(heh), as far as I know with OKC there's no warning system. You file a complaint, they get a ticket.

At least that's what happened to me. No contact attempt by the neighbors, no warning notice, just a ticket. There's also no time window the dog noise ordinance. The citation I got was for 11 AM. It was fairly hefty, too. Like $175 or $200.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    From the other side of the fence(heh), as far as I know with OKC there's no warning system. You file a complaint, they get a ticket.

At least that's what happened to me. No contact attempt by the neighbors, no warning notice, just a ticket. There's also no time window the dog noise ordinance. The citation I got was for 11 AM. It was fairly hefty, too. Like $175 or $200.
    Just curious about your side of the fence. Were you not aware of your dog being a disturbance to your neighbors before you got a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Just curious about your side of the fence. Were you not aware of your dog being a disturbance to your neighbors before you got a ticket?
    I genuinely wasn't. We would leave them out during the day while we were at work(When the weather was nice enough, anyway). Our previous neighbors never had any issue with it, but at the time we didn't live adjacent to any other dogs. There are some yappers across the storm drain from us that seem to get our dogs going.

I've had problems with nuisance dogs at other places I've lived, so I certainly understand where my neighbor was coming from(Well, sort of. He mentioned he'd put in complaints about all the surrounding dogs, none of which bother me or bark excessively in my opinion). But I did feel that I was in an unfair spot, as it was entirely his word against mine(Per the animal control guy) and pretty slighted that he didn't try to talk to my wife or myself about it. I did talk to him after the ticket, he agreed to not show up to court but I ended up being unable to take time off work and just paid the ticket.

6. Default Re: Neighbor's dog barking

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post

What city and what agency issued the ticket (police, City Action, nuisance abatement, etc.)?

Like I said before, we went through this with City Action and they never issued an actual ticket. When we went through OCPD they would. I've even seen people arrested over a barking dog complaint if the owner got too lippy.

I've seen a few small claims actions in OKC over barking dogs too.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I've seen a few small claims actions in OKC over barking dogs too.
    What was the basis for asking for a monetary award? Was it "mental duress"? And how much were they seeking? I've got the big "tundra dog" to the north trained not to bark (all I have to do is show it the Sonic Egg and it shuts up and slinks off) but the yapper the other side of the yard next door to the south seems to be deaf to it. (Much as the dog's owner seems to be deaf to its occasional, incessant barking.)

Can you tell that this audio trespassing on my personal space is one of my pet peeves?

8. Default Re: Neighbor's dog barking

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    What was the basis for asking for a monetary award? Was it "mental duress"? And how much were they seeking? I've got the big "tundra dog" to the north trained not to bark (all I have to do is show it the Sonic Egg and it shuts up and slinks off) but the yapper the other side of the yard next door to the south seems to be deaf to it. (Much as the dog's owner seems to be deaf to its occasional, incessant barking.)

Can you tell that this audio trespassing on my personal space is one of my pet peeves?
    I get a DVD with all court cases filed each week for several counties and I've seen civil actions for dogs maybe half a dozen times. If I recall, the amount sought was always just a couple hundred dollars (just enough to get the owner's attention I assume).

I never pulled the cases up to see the final disposition. But if i get I chance I'll see if I can locate a DVD with one of the cases on it and look it up.

I thought you could go to small claims court for things other than monetary awards, restraining orders, that sort of thing. Maybe rulings about a barking dog?
    C. T.

What did you charge your neighbor to train his dog to shut up?

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    What did you charge your neighbor to train his dog to shut up?
    I didn't charge him anything.
    I went out, voluntarily, after a bit of internet research on alternatives to chocolate-coated chicken bones (silent, but deadly, to barking dogs with the threat of malicious mischief lurking in the background) and bought one of those Sunbeam Sonic Eggs at PetSmart.

It worked exactly--actually, even better--than it was advertised. On the Tundra Dog.
    For the mini-yapper yet to be stilled, I'm considering buying an eagle or a hawk to spirit it away.
    Is it still legal to own an owl? Or to train it for nefarious porpoises?

I guess I was guilty of vigilantism.
    (mea culpa)

Edited to Add: In case you missed it on the first "go 'round":

Another Reason I Don't Keep a Gun in the House
    by Billy Collins, former Poet Laureate of the United States

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
    He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
    that he barks every time they leave the house.
    They must switch him on on their way out.

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
    I close all the windows in the house
    and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
    but I can still hear him muffled under the music,

barking, barking, barking,

and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
    his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
    had included a part for barking dog.

When the record finally ends he is still barking,
    sitting there in the oboe section barking,
    his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
    entreating him with his baton
    while the other musicians listen in respectful
    silence to the famous barking dog solo,
    that endless coda that first established
    Beethoven as an innovative genius.

(apologies to the author for reparagraphization of the message, intended =)i

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I live in OKC, around NW 21st and May if that makes any difference. What I would like to know is what is the process for complaining about the dog barking? They issue a warning and I assume no fine is issued with it? Then what? I know if there are too many complaints, the dog can be taken from the owners. Honestly, that is the last thing I want to happen. These people give these dogs a good home and treat them well. Also, they are my neighbors so if there is ever a person who is not supposed to be in the back yard (mine or theirs) they (the dogs) will notify me of it. I just want it to shut up at night.
    Warren, I'd recommend filing a complaint with the city action center. Do you live in Crestwood by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post
    Warren, I'd recommend filing a complaint with the city action center. Do you live in Crestwood by chance?
    Yes I do. We emailed them and got a notice that the city was sending them a notice. After I typed all of this up, I went over to talk to the neighbor and I told them I had contacted the city action center about it. We are not trying to be rude or bad neighbors, we just want to sleep. The adult daughter told me the mother looked for a specific bark collar the previous day but couldn't find it at a particular Petsmart. She said she was going to call her and tell her I talked to her and what I said so they can get it taken care of. The issue we are having now is the other dog that we never heard is barking again since the other one stopped. I think I am going to end up going out and getting one of those eggs to try to keep them quiet. I am not trying to be a d!$k, I just want to be able to sleep and when I am a little awake in the middle of the night, if the dog is not barking, I am worried it will start barking and keep me awake. And that doesn't help me sleep either.

You, Warren, are approaching the situation like a mature adult. Apparently your neighbors are also trying to be reasonable. I honestly hope that the Sonic Egg works as well for you as it did for me. I still don't understand why incessantly barking dogs don't bother their owners as much as they bother other people. Is it like living next to Tinker Field (the jets landing) or next to a railroad track?

Anyway . . . I hope this problem is resolved soon.

Please let me know if my product suggestion worked for you.

You, Warren, are approaching the situation like a mature adult. Apparently your neighbors are also trying to be reasonable. I honestly hope that the Sonic Egg works as well for you as it did for me. I still don't understand why incessantly barking dogs don't bother their owners as much as they bother other people. Is it like living next to Tinker Field (the jets landing) or next to a railroad track?

Anyway . . . I hope this problem is resolved soon.

Please let me know if my product suggestion worked for you.
    Thanks for the compliment, I like to think I am being mature about this. If it was up to my wife, she would have gone over and knocked on their door in the middle of the night to wake them up since the dog was waking us up.

I have actually asked them if they hear it and they say no. The couple that lives there are heavy sleepers and their bedroom is on the front of the house. The adult daughter is a bartender so when she gets home at 2:30 or 3:00am and the dog is barking at 6:00am, she is fast asleep and doesn't hear it. My wife and I are very light sleepers and our bedroom is on the back of the house. So, if the dog is barking for more than a few minutes, it will wake us up and keep us awake. We have a fan on in the room and that drowns out a little of the noise but not enough to make a difference. I have heard about the egg thing prior to posting this here and it seems like it gets great reviews. I will let you know how it goes.

Might want to look at this.

https://www.grc.com/tqc/TheQuietCanine.htm

Warren, I also live in Crestwood and have dogs. I bought a citronella bark collar for my dog, and it works well on her. But I never leave her outside, so it hasn't gotten used in about 2 years. I would be willing to give it to a fellow Crestwood neighbor. Send me a PM if you are interested in it and giving it to your neighbor...

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Oopsie...The gate got left open somehow
    Oh, don't do that A loose dog is going to be scared, perhaps hurt - and it isn't the dog's fault. My dogs being loose is my worst nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    can't believe you left out the part about the rat poison...
    horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Had the same issue a few years ago. I went over and knocked on their door in the wee hours while the dog was at it. Told the guy that I have to get up for work just like he did and if I can't sleep because of his dog, then neither can he. He went and got his dog and brought it inside. Never heard it much after that.
    Seems fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I have an aunt that will come kidnap them for you. She thinks all of them should be inside except when going to the bathroom. She see outdoor dogs as animal abuse.

She cray cray. But she useful too
    I know someone up in Grand Rapids who is part of a pit bull rescue group. They steal dogs from negligent owners and it includes a whole network of like minded individuals. People come in from out of town (harder to trace and they take the dog from the area). It is like a swat team. These are law abiding citizens, typically, engaging in what they see as worthy of civil disobedience.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    I know someone up in Grand Rapids who is part of a pit bull rescue group. They steal dogs from negligent owners and it includes a whole network of like minded individuals. People come in from out of town (harder to trace and they take the dog from the area). It is like a swat team. These are law abiding citizens, typically, engaging in what they see as worthy of civil disobedience.
    So . . . It's like an Underground Railroad for dogs? Was it Bob Dylan who once said, "Dogs Run Free, Why Can't We?"

So . . . It's like an Underground Railroad for dogs? Was it Bob Dylan who once said, "Dogs Run Free, Why Can't We?"
    Yes, it's like that. I never even knew that sort of thing happened until my friend, who has samoyeds like I do, showed up with a pretty pit and explained how he ended up with her.

I'm in Crestwood too - on 19th. I have a yapper behind me - if you try something that works, let me know!

Thread Information