Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harkins Theater

Bricktown3 Harkins Theater

Harkins Theatres just announced a new luxury theatre in Arizona. I think this concept would work really well on the north side, or an upgrade to their Bricktown location to include some of these features.

Scottsdale, AZ, December 19, 2013 – Harkins Theatres announces today that development is underway on a new 14-screen luxury megaplex cinema at Scottsdale Fashion Square. The Scottsdale-based company says the new Camelview at Fashion Square will feature unparalleled luxury amenities and an expanded offering of independent, foreign and art films along with a choice selection of the very best wide release films.
    “The Camelview at Fashion Square will be unlike anything that exists in the marketplace today,” said Mike Bowers, President of Harkins Theatres. “Our new theatre will feature modern elegant finishes, unequaled amenities and state-of-the-art technology throughout.”
    Highlights of the new theatre include:
     Reserved seating
     Harkins Ultimate LoungerTM seats
     Wall-to-wall curved screens
     4k digital projection
     Dolby Atmos object-based 3D sound
     Expanded menu with elevated food choices, decadent desserts and espresso drinks  And the Vérité Lounge, Harkins’ first lobby lounge with a full bar
    The theatre lobby will exude modern elegance complimenting iconic elements from its predecessor and will provide guests with an inviting place to meet, eat and drink before their film. “Everything about this theatre will be the absolute best,” said Dan Harkins, Owner of Harkins Theatres. “I will be one of the most frequent moviegoers at this theatre, so I can’t wait for opening day!”
    The Camelview at Fashion Square will debut the new Harkins Ultimate LoungerTM. Moviegoers will reserve their seats and sink into plush lounge chairs with electronic reclining mechanisms that allow them to select their own perfect viewing position.
    Harkins’ already immense concessions menu will be amplified with a robust offering of gourmet appetizers, sliders, crêpes, personal pizzas, decadent desserts and an espresso bar. Additionally, the Vérité Lounge will expand to create an indoor/outdoor rooftop terrace and boast a full bar with a wide range of mixed cocktails, unique wines and beers, including local craft favorites.
    “This theatre will be a moviegoer’s dream come true,” said Dan Harkins. “We intend to transplant the soul of our beloved Camelview into this amazing new cinema. Independent, foreign, and art films are a part of our DNA and we are proud to be able to continue and expand Camelview’s legacy to include even more films in a dazzling new venue.”
    Harkins anticipates opening Camelview at Fashion Square in the spring of 2015 at Scottsdale Fashion Square mall located on the northwest corner of Scottsdale and Camelback roads.

Default Re: Harkins Concept I'd Like to See Here

I'd like to see the Bricktown Harkins add some of those features to their theater as well. But there are two simple things the Bricktown theater could do, in my opinion, that would be a major upgrade for me:

1. Have a system to disable all cell phones inside the theater.
    2. Sweep the popcorn up off the floor behind the snack bar. There's always enough popcorn on the floor to feed an entire busload of homeless people. If they can't figure out how to do it they should give Russell Westbrook a call and he could show them how to use a broom or mop.

Blog Entries

The Communications Act of 1934 prohibits people from interfering with the radio communications and jammers are illegal to own or sell in the US.

North side just needs a Warren Theater, I had heard they were looking around the kilpatrick tp and Mcarutherish

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    The Communications Act of 1934 prohibits people from interfering with the radio communications and jammers are illegal to own or sell in the US.
    Virtually sure some theaters have taken to installing wire meshing (or undertaken similar steps) within the walls specifically designed to disallow cell reception. Called a Faraday Cage, and its a passive device, so it doesn't "jam" anything.

I just like the Warren policy - you're caught using a cell phone, you're tossed w/o refund. No problem with that.

I think Warren was planning on building a north side theater prior to the 2008 recession but then they decided to cancel it. It was supposed to be near the Kilpatrick and MacArthur intersection where there is a big restaurant boom going on now. As far as I know, those plans have not been revived and Moore will be their only OKC metro location.

Last I heard was that Warren has chosen to focus on the Moore location as their sole OKC area location. With that said, Harkins has always provided a quality experience in my opinion, and this concept sounds like it provides many of the amenities provided at Warren. I think this would a great fit for the north side, if Harkins was ever interested in bringing this concept to Oklahoma.

What is the proper protocol when a jackass in front of you whips out the iPhone to text during a movie? I'm not going to go get an usher as I would miss even more of the movie. On Christmas day, a hail of Raisenettes seemed to do the trick with minimal (though not entirely non-existent) collateral damage...

Bricktown3 Harkins Theatres Upcoming Remodel

I have it on good authority that an extensive remodel is currently planned for the Harkins Theatres located in Bricktown. The remodel will start with the auditorium known as the Ciné Capri. The renovation will include the addition of leather recliners, an upgraded projection system, and a rebrand to the newer Ciné 1 concept. The remodel will also include the addition of a bar. This portion is currently set to begin in January of 2018 and is anticipated to take 2-3 months.

My understanding is that once the Ciné Capri and the bar are completed, a more extensive remodel will take place with the rest of the theatre, most likely to occur in stages. While I can't speak to details on what this will all include, I imagine it will bring the Bricktown theatre more closely in line with Harkins' more recent theatres in Arizona and California that include leather recliners in all auditoriums and a more modern decor.

My understanding, although this may be speculation, is that the recent law allowing alcohol into Oklahoma movie theatres and the recent purchase of Warren by Regal has moved the Bricktown theatre up Harkins' remodel itinerary.

Default Re: Harkins Theatres Upcoming Remodel

I'm sure part of this has to do with the knowledge that Regal is going to let the Warren go to the crapper in short order. Smart for Harkins.

They should add a box office along fronting Reno.

I pretty much exclusively went to Harkins before the Warren moved in, then switched to the Warren, if they start dipping with the Regal buyout, I'll be back in a heartbeat.

My only complaint they probably can't fix with Harkins is the super over abundance of teenyboppers that have to scream and shrill during every movie.

I usually go to the Harkins since its downtown and I don't like driving to Moore if I don't have to. Good news that it's being updated. It already is the second best theater in the metro in my opinion. Also good to hear about alcohol being added. I always wondered why the Harkins didn't have it as it seems to be a perfect fit for a downtown theater.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I'm sure part of this has to do with the knowledge that Regal is going to let the Warren go to the crapper in short order. Smart for Harkins.
    Even AMC has been upgrading its theaters. AMC Quail Springs has one theater that is a Dolby cinema. Not sure how many theaters it plans to convert into this format.

15. Default Re: Harkins Theatres Upcoming Remodel

I wish some of the theaters that are remodeling would add the "family" restrooms. They are very handy when you take young children or handicapped people. The Harkins is the only theater that has one other than the discount AMC movie theater on N May.

The Warren going to Regal reminds me of when TG&Y use to dominate local OKC retail back in the 70's, then went south when they needlessly changed their store concept. Seems like everyone could see it coming, just like this creeping sense of inevitability that Regal is going to ruin Warren.

My kids love the Warren. I much refer going to Penn Square where they have the recliners without the mass of kids and other people. You can reserve your seat and they will deliver food to your chair if you preorder. Also, the AMC rewards program helps save some money when taking hungry kids to movie. Be nice if they add alcohol.

Harkins does have the Loyalty "program" which includes a t-shirt that gets you a free popcorn every time you bring it to the theatre and a cup that you can refill for $1.50 as many times as you like. I'm honestly not that familiar with how AMC's program works, but my family prefers getting a free popcorn and cheap refills ever visit rather than having to earn rewards. Unfortunately for me, although you might prefer this, Harkins has been exploring moving to a more traditional rewards program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Harkins does have the Loyalty "program" which includes a t-shirt that gets you a free popcorn every time you bring it to the theatre and a cup that you can refill for $1.50 as many times as you like. I'm honestly not that familiar with how AMC's program works, but my family prefers getting a free popcorn and cheap refills ever visit rather than having to earn rewards. Unfortunately for me, although you might prefer this, Harkins has been exploring moving to a more traditional rewards program.
    I will have to check it out. Sounds better than AMC. The AMC Stubs Premiere is $15 a year. (we have one membership that entire family uses) The AMC rewards gets you a free size upgrade on popcorn and drinks. You also get reward points where you get $5 for every $50 spent and free popcorn refills on large. $2 off on tickets on Tuesday.

I have the stubs premiere and I have the t-shirt cups for Harkins. Harkins wins hands down. You can pay $1 to upgrade the popcorn to a large. So it's $4 for 2 large sodas and a large popcorn. If you go a bunch (which we do) it definitely pays for itself. We never even wear the t-shirt. It's wrapped up in a disc shape and just leave it in the car. If we're going to harkins we just grab the shirt out of the car. The shirt is $25 I believe and the cups are like $$6 so $37 for them but if we go 10 times it's $77 for 20 large sodas and 10 large popcorn buckets. You can't beat that.

Plus if you just want water to drink, they don't charge you. My wife and I will often attend the Tuesday Night Classic movie and we get both get the free popcorn and get water to drink. We only pay $10 for admission. You can't beat that for an inexpensive date night.

So, this was supposed to start last month and there hasn't been any movement on this, so I asked around. Unfortunately, it looks like plans changed and Harkins Bricktown is now in a "TBD" status as far as any remodels go. This is pretty bitterly disappointing, at least for me, but unfortunately not all that surprising.

I wish another theater operator would take this over so I could use MoviePass here, lol.

Harkins now has reserved seating, but the actual seats are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I wish another theater operator would take this over so I could use MoviePass here, lol.
    Isn't MoviePass dying because the big theater chains are coming up with their own programs?

Thread Information