Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harkins Theater

Default Re: Harkins Theatres Upcoming Remodel

MoviePass died because it was an unsustainable business model. They didn't make any money. However, it did spur theatre chains to coming up with their own versions of that program.

Default Re: Harkins Theatres Upcoming Remodel

I thought movie pass was dead.. I killed it over a year ago when they started adding surcharges and limitations.

Default Re: Harkins Theater

Press release:

Harkins Celebrates 86 Years of Ultimate Moviegoing® with Six Days of $5 Movies!
    All Movies, All Formats, Only $5 for My Harkins Awards Members, $8 for Non-Loyalty Members

Scottsdale, Ariz., August 28, 2019 – Harkins Theatres, Arizona’s homegrown movie theatre company, celebrates 86 years of Ultimate Moviegoing with a special gift for moviegoers. To celebrate its 86th anniversary, Harkins will offer $5 movies for members of My Harkins Awards, the company’s free loyalty program, from August 30 – September 4. Non-members will still receive a great treat with $8 tickets. During the six-day celebration, guests can enjoy movies including new releases, 3D, Cine 1® and Cine Capri® films (excludes IMAX® and select special programming). Tickets are available at all Harkins Theatres box offices and Harkins.com.

“One of my favorite anniversary traditions is giving back to our loyal moviegoers because they are the reason we are here celebrating 86 years of Ultimate Moviegoing,” says Dan Harkins, owner of Harkins Theatres. “We’re grateful for the past 86 years and look forward to many more years of entertaining our family and friends.”

Founded in 1933, Harkins Theatres has continued to redefine the Ultimate Moviegoing experience through showmanship, community support and guest service. Known for state-of-the-art amenities like the Cine Capri and Cine1 auditoriums and signature amenities such as in-lobby bars, expanded menus with gourmet concessions, award-winning popcorn and in-lobby PlayCenters, Harkins is dedicated to providing each moviegoer with an unforgettable experience.

Blog Entries

BTW, a couple months ago Harkins Bricktown went 100% assigned seating...

They are reopening on Friday, August 28th.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are reopening on Friday, August 28th.

Are they taking any steps to ensure social distancing like every other row blocked?

Blog Entries

I hope so, I want to do movies again.

On my weekend flight to Michigan, there were NO distancing measures, just mask requirements. And you're in a much more confined space with potentially more people.

I probably won't go to a super crowded movie even with distancing measures, but I'd like the option to be able to go to a weekend morning movie with hardly anyone in the theater. I definitely miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Are they taking any steps to ensure social distancing like every other row blocked?
    looks like it. i went to their website and looked at available seats for a matinee showing on the 28th. blue seats are available and x seats are not. it looks to me as if every other row is blocked and one or two seats are left open between parties.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harkins_reopening.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	16363

Not feeling very optimistic about this theatres long term future!

I've noticed that for a while Harkins Bricktown has had uniform and lower than average ticket prices: $7.00 for adults, students, children, matinee, evening, etc. The only exception are shows in their premium theatre, the Ciné Capri, which runs $9 for everyone, every time. Only one other open location has similar pricing. Two other locations had similar pricing (North Valley in Arizona and Southlake in Texas) and both have since closed.

I'm just speculating, but I'm concerned about what this might mean for the future of this location. Also considered: newer theatres have opened with more modern amenities and other existing theatres have renovated to keep up. The last major upgrade Harkins Bricktown underwent was the Dolby Atmos installation in 2013.

Speaking from experience, this location has almost always struggled to be a priority for the company even when it was the newest and nicest theatre in the OKC metro. Harkins Bricktown has been slated multiple times for upgrades and renovations, but those plans almost always ended up getting pushed back or canceled (with one example mentioned upthread). My understanding was the company was drawn to this location initially only due to the incentives offered in the wake of Edwards Theatres' bankruptcy and a general interest in expanding outside of their home state of Arizona. Since then, they've been more interested in staying further west by expanding in AZ, CO, and CA.

I don't have any insight into what kind of obligations Harkins might have to remain or what their financials look like and I can say there was some additional circumstances that seemingly contributed to the closures of the North Valley and Southlake locations, but that said I would guess Harkins will be happy to leave this market as soon as it makes sense for them. I'm willing and happy to be wrong, though.

Blog Entries

Tinseltown has had the cheapest tickets in town in general for some time now (way pre-pandemic) and they seem to be chugging right along...

I feel similarly as Ginkasa but am going to enjoy the hilariously cheap ticket and concession prices ($2 loyalty cup refills and $30 year-long popcorn passes) for as long as they last. Their showings also start as early as 10 a.m. for some reason, which is absolutely beautiful for people like me who enjoy seeing movies in nearly empty theatres with pretty much no chance of anyone else in the audience talking.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Tinseltown has had the cheapest tickets in town in general for some time now (way pre-pandemic) and they seem to be chugging right along...
    Harkins is a drive and always dealing with construction somewhere along the way.

We prefer Tinseltown. Easy In and Out right off I44 and giant parking lot, if you live north of I40, it probably is the best theatre bang for buck.

We went to AMC Quail the other week and it is really starting to show its age in common areas and the non-renovated theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Harkins is a drive and always dealing with construction somewhere along the way.

We prefer Tinseltown. Easy In and Out right off I44 and giant parking lot, if you live north of I40, it probably is the best theatre bang for buck.

We went to AMC Quail the other week and it is really starting to show its age in common areas and the non-renovated theaters.
    I went and saw matrix 4 at amc penn and even that seemed to be showing signs of neglect. After that experience I'm driving to flix every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Not feeling very optimistic about this theatres long term future!

I've noticed that for a while Harkins Bricktown has had uniform and lower than average ticket prices: $7.00 for adults, students, children, matinee, evening, etc. The only exception are shows in their premium theatre, the Ciné Capri, which runs $9 for everyone, every time. Only one other open location has similar pricing. Two other locations had similar pricing (North Valley in Arizona and Southlake in Texas) and both have since closed.

I'm just speculating, but I'm concerned about what this might mean for the future of this location. Also considered: newer theatres have opened with more modern amenities and other existing theatres have renovated to keep up. The last major upgrade Harkins Bricktown underwent was the Dolby Atmos installation in 2013.

Speaking from experience, this location has almost always struggled to be a priority for the company even when it was the newest and nicest theatre in the OKC metro. Harkins Bricktown has been slated multiple times for upgrades and renovations, but those plans almost always ended up getting pushed back or canceled (with one example mentioned upthread). My understanding was the company was drawn to this location initially only due to the incentives offered in the wake of Edwards Theatres' bankruptcy and a general interest in expanding outside of their home state of Arizona. Since then, they've been more interested in staying further west by expanding in AZ, CO, and CA.

I don't have any insight into what kind of obligations Harkins might have to remain or what their financials look like and I can say there was some additional circumstances that seemingly contributed to the closures of the North Valley and Southlake locations, but that said I would guess Harkins will be happy to leave this market as soon as it makes sense for them. I'm willing and happy to be wrong, though.
    Harkin's is normally my go-to for movie date nights. The proximity to walk to ice cream next door after the movie and get Starbucks before is just nice...plus being potentially one of the best prices is great on my broke college student wallet.

Thread Information