Widgets Magazine

Thread: Satellite dish iced over

Default Satellite dish iced over

Anyone else missing the Thunder game with an iced over dish? Is it safe to take a hair dryer to it or what other methods can be used? Sidewalk salt?

Default Re: Satellite dish iced over

I have the DISH blues too. Thank goodness we can watch stuff saved in the DVR.

3. Default Re: Satellite dish iced over

Vinegar and water...or those cans of de-icer that are sold at auto parts stores.

A buddy of mine hooks his garden hose up to his hot water tank and sprays hot water on his dish.
    Tip: wear heavy gloves.LOL

Use a hammer a beat it off.

Have X-Ice Games with your hamsters.

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    Anyone else missing the Thunder game with an iced over dish? Is it safe to take a hair dryer to it or what other methods can be used? Sidewalk salt?
    Mine is too, but I was able to watch it on the non-HD channel.

This is the first time its iced in 4 years. Decided to wait until tomorrow since the game wasn't close. Won't be using a hammer, that sounds dumb since they forced me into a 2 year contract just for install, who know what they want for repair. Don't have any pets, watching okies on ice is enough entertainment for me.

Might try a rubber mallet gently.

10. Default Re: Satellite dish iced over

Autozone sells a deicer that goes in the washer fluid reservoir in your car. I don't recall the name but it is yellow and comes in a gallon jug. it is easy t find there since they sell a lot of it. Put it in a pump up sprayer (the kind that you use in the garden) and you can easily spray the dish easily. I use it this way on all kinds of iced areas at home. I works really well. Quick and easy.

I still have an 8 ft 2 x 2 I used in the 2002 ice storm to use for that and tape my Makita heat gun to it to get the ice off. Hasn't damaged the equipment so far but I don't keep it too close to the gun thing when using it.

There is also a de-icer in a spray can (get it at any auto parts store) and it was developed to spray directly on your windshield, not added to a washer fluid reservoir. It should work just fine on a satellite dish. I'm not sure why I'm not having the problem, I certainly have a lot of ice.
    C. T.

I tried the de icer wasn't getting it done so I used hot water till it melted off, then sprayed down with de-icer to keep it from refreezing. Worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I tried the de icer wasn't getting it done so I used hot water till it melted off, then sprayed down with de-icer to keep it from refreezing. Worked like a charm.
    Just FYI de-ice fluid has little anti-icing capabilities. It's good at breaking it up but not preventing new ice .

16. Default Re: Satellite dish iced over

Just went and looked...Mine is covered in a good hearty helping of ice...But my Dish is getting a signal just fine.

Scaled the flatter part of the roof but there's no way I'm climbing the steeper pitched parts. Very very dangerous without spotters and a lattice of ropes, almost slid down couple times already. Will just have to wait it out. This is with Directv.

18. Default Re: Satellite dish iced over

Get cable?

Elitespy,
    Only if it's available and it's not where I live.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by elitespy View Post
    Get cable?

By cable of course you mean Cox, which basically has a monopoly. I caught them raising my rates every few months without any change to my plan, so I switched.. I respect the competition the satellite companies bring to the table so I do business with them. Also haven't caught Directv playing games with my bill. Much more sports packages available as well. I'm willing and able to take a time out from TV when the weather demands it.

I didn't have ice problems in OKC (nor in Austin which rarely got ice) but have had one instance of heavy snow from the south causing a problem here in Denver. When we do get it from the south it tends to have a lot more moisture in it than our typical powder from the north so it sticks to the dish a bit more. A quick swipe of the broom will take care of it, unfortunately not an option with ice. I know many up in the mountains get dish heaters to keep them clear, when we move that way it will have to be part of the plan.

Merry Christmas, (technically, Winter Solstice) From OKC, c/o Old Man Winter, For the Heart o' The Heartland

So . . . Perhaps . . . Even if circumstances suggest otherwise, there is still a tiny bit of beauty to be found in water and temperature doing its/their thing? =)
    (but not on a satellite dish, maybe)

(and this after all the truck door unfreezing . . . windshield scraping . . . et cetera and so forth . . . yadda, yadda, yadda.)

23. Default Re: Satellite dish iced over

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Merry Christmas, (technically, Winter Solstice) From OKC, c/o Old Man Winter, For the Heart o' The Heartland

So . . . Perhaps . . . Even if circumstances suggest otherwise, there is still a tiny bit of beauty to be found in water and temperature doing its/their thing? =)
    (but not on a satellite dish, maybe)

(and this after all the truck door unfreezing . . . windshield scraping . . . et cetera and so forth . . . yadda, yadda, yadda.)
    Nice photo. Driving around yesterday, there were many example of beauty to be found in the fields that sparkled in the sunlight like diamonds and crystal shards.

More on topic, I had an issue with ice on my dish, but it was strangely intermittent. I wasn't able to knock much ice off the hardware, for fear of knocking it out of alignment or breaking one of the plastic LNBs. It eventually cleared up, even though I still have a thick layer of ice on it. *Shrugs* I guess I'll watch The Wizard of Oz some other time.

24. Default Re: Satellite dish iced over

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    By cable of course you mean Cox, which basically has a monopoly. I caught them raising my rates every few months without any change to my plan, so I switched.. I respect the competition the satellite companies bring to the table so I do business with them. Also haven't caught Directv playing games with my bill. Much more sports packages available as well. I'm willing and able to take a time out from TV when the weather demands it.
    Fortunately I had no problems with my dish during the storm. I love dish network and have very little problems with it. I switched from cable 7 years ago and it cut my bill in half. Saved a 1000 a year.

Thread Information